How NOT to drive your 900HP Viper...

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps I shouldn't be advertising my mistakes, but I made an amusing video of some of my poorer runs at the 'strip last night. As anyone who races stick will tell you, there are a lot of bad / missed runs which go along with the good runs, and unfortunately I'm not exempt from that rule.

Of particular interest, the effect of slow shifting on MPH is dramatic. Even in last night's trim (lowered boost, no NOS, air filter in place, cats installed) my car's still got enough power to hit 140 -- but that's assuming I drive it well. Miss 3rd, or take .5-.75 sec per shift, and the speed drops dramatically since you're spending 1.5 - 2 secs/run not accelerating. It makes you appreciate those really good runs all the more...

Anyway, enjoy:
http://www.treynor.com/Sacto-10-25.wmv (right click & save, Windows Media Player 9)

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever the times/trap speeds - man that car pulls out of the hole - not sure what your 60 footer was - but the first 100 feet are awesome!!!! That car is going to knock down some great numbers on more boost. Good vantage point - it really shows how quick your car comes out.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TM, I was pulling 1.56 - 1.66 60's (except for that 1st run with no burnout). Launch technique with all that power is simple -- 3500 RPM, clutch slip for a split sec to transfer weight, then release and off it goes. You can see how much power the car makes from the way it tears out of the hole.

My fearless prediction: 10.4 @ 138 with the current setup, once I can really drive it well. Then I'll turn on the bottle :laugh:

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running Belanger headers, metal-substrate high-flow cats, and a 3" Corsa exhaust. I love the sound, and the cats really quieted it down, although they stole 30-40HP in the process :( Sacto's race season has now ended, but it resumes in March -- see http://www.sacramentoraceway.com for the calendar.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Is it the shifter (as in the person doing the shifting) or the shifter (the part I consider the weakest link) that was causing those poor shifts? I've asked for feedback many times on the B&M, Woodhouse Modded, and SVSI shifter and have gotten little response. It would seem that the person/company that develops an UNBEATABLE shifter for the Viper would be able to sell quite a few!

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor,
Awesome Vid! :shocked: You do need some practice shifting. That car just leaps out of the hole! Those poor stang guys don't know what hit them lol.

-Lou

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great vids. Great job Treynor and DLM. Nothing wrong with slow shifts - saves the equipment to fight another day. Nobody is coming close to you so why kill your machine.

Like Big Med, I'd like to know what the tire setup is.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> Is it the shifter (as in the person doing the shifting)
> or the shifter (the part I consider the weakest link)

Until proven otherwise, I have to assume it's the person doing the shifting :laugh:

> Like Big Med, I'd like to know what the tire setup is.

Totally standard, actually. 11.5x26-16 MT ET streets with front skinnies, just like Purner sells to everyone else. The car's got enough midrange to really get out of the hole without doing anything special.

Also, I should note that I have certainly run faster than the runs in the video. However, it's instructive to look at what goes wrong on the not-so-good runs...

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running Belanger headers, metal-substrate high-flow cats, and a 3" Corsa exhaust. I love the sound, and the cats really quieted it down, although they stole 30-40HP in the process :( Sacto's race season has now ended, but it resumes in March -- see http://www.sacramentoraceway.com for the calendar.

Nice, I believe that is the same setup my new car will have. Sounds nice!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben what's going on brother, are you getting your driving lessons from Gerald lmao :eek: Seriously it aint easy shifting these beasts as evident with you, myself and now Paolo as well :eek: I've never had such problems shifting any other car like I have with the Viper. I really think the shifter sux. Off topic Manny you decided to go with Dlm that is awesome, welcome to the family brother :2tu:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the video Ben. At least you didn't crash, or break anything. Remember my slow shifting run that yielded me a 13.0@125MPH last time! :eek:

I saw from the video that it looked like you only got a couple runs in, and it was getting dark by your second run. It must have been crowded there!

It seems silly that Sacto shuts down this early in the year without any rain. I was meaning to get out there once more before the rains, now that it has cooled down a bit.
Oh well. It looked like fun even if the numbers weren't there.

-Dean.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont care what you say Ben - That car looks like it got shot out of a canon!!!! Who cares about the times - the car is just fast period.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont care what you say Ben - That car looks like it got shot out of a canon!!!! Who cares about the times - the car is just fast period.

Yep!

Max :2tu:

matthyoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real question is....did you drive it to the track?

I just wish my computer had sound so I could hear it...bad ass car Ben.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gawd! That thing launches like a funny car! Looks like an F14 comiing off the catapault. You may not have the shifting thing down to your satisfaction, but you look like you're having fun! I would think launching that beast would be the hard part, and you sure got that covered!

S

SUN RA KAT

Thanks for the video. I now know why my trap speeds aren't close to my Viper tech's when he drives my car - I shift too slow.

Now that I know, beware of me next year! :headbang:

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> So are you guys letting off the gas when you clutch it?

Oh yes. Lift throttle / clutch in, shift (without slamming into the gear), clutch out / throttle on. I'm sure powershifting would net a bunch of MPH, but I'll do that when I have a build turbo400 waiting for me :)

And no, I didn't drive it to the track. I certainly COULD have, but it's 125 miles each way, and if I broke anything (which DOES happen, I'm told ;) ) it'd be a long walk home...

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way that car gets launched out of a canon I would say you'll break more than just the tranny if you power shifted it ;) !

-Lou

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And no, I didn't drive it to the track. I certainly COULD have, but it's 125 miles each way, and if I broke anything (which DOES happen, I'm told ;) ) it'd be a long walk home...
Don't tell me you have a powerstroke Ford or Cummins Ram and it also runs 11's lol.