How smart is it to buy a used Viper out of state, site unseen...

007alevine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to sell my 97' GTS a couple years ago due to a divorce. I live in Colorado and bought it from a, "By Owner," that lived in the mountains. The car only had 7,500 miles on it but I had a ton of problems and ended up dumping $5k into it in only the first year. I'm ready to buy again and I'm wondering the best way to go about buying one out of state (Colorado has a very limited supply). I'm not looking to pay over $40k. Wondering others experiences when buying/shipping a Viper from out of state. Is it best to just have a local Viper tech look at it and take their word? Thanks in advance!!!!

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are buying from a private seller tell him you want a PRE SALE INSPECTION (at buyer expense) at a DODGE Dealership of your choice with a VIPER tech in his local area
I offer that on all my cars I have sold it being a VIPER or any other car
If you are looking for a GEN2 RT10 ('98) I have one 4sale

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought one sight unseen worked out ok. Next time i would like to see it in person since you know what to look for

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I did a little mix off all the things listed so far. I made a list of every car for sale that was within my price range and specs and started narrowing it down. Had a spreadsheet with everything from color to miles to Carfax to mods, etc. Once I got a manageable list I started making calls to get a little more info. If the guy on the other end of the line just didn't stack up I'd mark it off the list. Some were just ignorant, others arrogant. Called a dealership and was trying to make a deal that I would be flying out there to pick the car up and drive it home, but they had to play ball on price. They kept saying we can talk in person and I kept saying I wasn't buying a plane ticket until they guaranteed me a price. In the end I bought one from a pretty nice guy down in Mississippi. He took it to a local dealer that looked it over and gave me a report. Ultimately I bought a plane ticket to look at it in person (also because I would be driving it home if I bought it) as buying a plane ticket home is cheaper in the long run than buying a car that isn't worth it, as you found out yourself. Yes, it can be a hassle and take time and money to see a car in person, but it can save you a lot of money to walk away early too.

WestminsterSlim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse or John Gastman at Roanoke and you will be fine !!!

This is what I did. I am also in Colorado. Bought from Bill sight unseen. But with the reputation he and his shop carry, I was completely at ease through the whole process. Couldn't be happier with the car.

Stickfork

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be a little uneasy about it if I didn't already have some kind of connection to the person.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Some of it depends on what you ultimately want out of the car as well. I was looking for a driver, so something a little rough around the edges didn't bother me as much as I was more willing to take a gamble. I also do as much of my own work as possible, so mechanical issues don't bug me as much either. Granted no one ever wants a lemon like it sounds like you got last time around, but if you're looking for a premium condition car I would agree that going through a trusted dealer is probably your best best. If you just want something to drive around and enjoy you can probably make a few more allowances.

ViperRT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased my Viper without any Viper Tech or without me even test driving it. I had a buddy of mine run the Vin number to check any insurance claims history which is different than Car fax. After he found no insurance claims I purchased the car and since have been very happy I did...

You can fly out and have whoever you want to look at it does not mean that their is not some chance of having major issues that will suffice later on.. We are buying used cars...

Looking back I may have been lucky maybe it was not the brightest thing I had ever done... However people sell these cars for many reasons... These cars are not for everyone and even for the people who love them personal issues may happen which forces them to sell.

I would fly out and look at it for sure and drive it back home unless you buy one in Florida. I drove to Jacksonville and purchased mine at a used dealership and I paid a fair price. I have had no issues and drove it 4,000 since buying it.. I Have since had the car at the Dodge dealership where they have a Viper Tech to change the fluids in the car... It runs strong and is an amazing car that I will only sell for $75,000 for my 98 Viper RT / 10... So you can see by my asking price I plan to keep it for the rest of my life... If someone did offer me $75,000 I would still have to think about it... My car is close to perfection... lol

quickster2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine from John at Roanoke Motors sight unseen absolutely no buyers remorse!!!! Could not of had a better experience, Delivered to my house in the snow.

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy from any of the viper dealers that the forum supports or fly out to see it. plane tickets are a lot cheaper than the repairs you could be facing.

SANCHOBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought mine sight unseen too , from Chicago motocars ( asked a lot of questions,and I am a perfectionist)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 15

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought mine sight unseen too , from Chicago motocars ( asked a lot of questions,and I am a perfectionist)

i will NEVER buy from chicago motors again, i bought my acr from them and i was looking for stock but was fine with it being modified. they posted up an acr race car, said it had a bunch of motor work and was ready to go on the road it just didnt have air bags. since i was planning on making a track car out of it i figured id bite, they ssent a bunch of pictures and lied out their asses about the car. they said it had about 800hp and was in great condition.

the car handled worse than anything id ever driven, so i took it to my shop and threw it up on the lift

heres a list of what was wrong:

-passenger side outer tie rod
-driver side rear inner and outer tie rod
-passenger side rear inner and outer tie rod
-NO EXHAUST literally just headers and a resonator, did not exit anywhere just dumped into the side skirts
-NO FRONT SWAY BAR, NONE
-all 4 tires were bald and the front tires were the wrong size and had some of the worst bulge ive ever seen
-bad passenger rear wheel bearing.
-missing/broken interior parts
-stock motor
-NO REVERSE EITHER, completely gone

and they made sure to take pictures that didnt show any of the missing/broken parts

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm probably listing my 01 RT/10 in a week or two. It's not been a garage queen, but it's a sound car, nicely modified. I'd be happy to stop it by Tom Sessions for an inspection.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm probably listing my 01 RT/10 in a week or two. It's not been a garage queen, but it's a sound car, nicely modified. I'd be happy to stop it by Tom Sessions for an inspection.

That is the best endorsement you can have. Tom is one of the best, and an outstanding Viper tech.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy one from one of the respectable dealers or have a vipertech/dealership that KNOWS what they are looking at give you an opinion.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a red 99" GTS for sale now that was purchased new from the original owner from Roanoke

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my first Viper sight unseen from a large Ford dealer out of Kansas. The car only had 3,000 miles on it so I was pretty safe. I also had my friends dealership check into the car. I have bought many cars sight unseen over the internet. You just have to be careful. Lots of pics and make sure its a good dealership. Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse dodge is awesome. He was recommended to me by Dan Cragin. STAY AWAY FROM CHICAGO MOTOR CARS. I have heard horror stories about that place. Stick with the places people on this board suggest and you will be fine.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i will NEVER buy from chicago motors again, i bought my acr from them and i was looking for stock but was fine with it being modified. they posted up an acr race car, said it had a bunch of motor work and was ready to go on the road it just didnt have air bags. since i was planning on making a track car out of it i figured id bite, they ssent a bunch of pictures and lied out their asses about the car. they said it had about 800hp and was in great condition.

the car handled worse than anything id ever driven, so i took it to my shop and threw it up on the lift

heres a list of what was wrong:

-passenger side outer tie rod
-driver side rear inner and outer tie rod
-passenger side rear inner and outer tie rod
-NO EXHAUST literally just headers and a resonator, did not exit anywhere just dumped into the side skirts
-NO FRONT SWAY BAR, NONE
-all 4 tires were bald and the front tires were the wrong size and had some of the worst bulge ive ever seen
-bad passenger rear wheel bearing.
-missing/broken interior parts
-stock motor
-NO REVERSE EITHER, completely gone

and they made sure to take pictures that didnt show any of the missing/broken parts
Ya, these guys are brutal.

LACOUNTRYHICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought mine from a dealership who took it in on trade for a Corvetter Z06. Absolutely as described and no problems.
You must be registered for see images attach

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to second running from Chicago motorsports if you find a car there.

I have bought three sight unseen but all times with a inspections. I will tell you the best money you can loose on a car is a inspection. If its good piece of mind is great and you would want the car looked over anyway b a tech. If its bad the 300-400$ it costs you will save you thousands in headaches and money.