How tall are you? I barely fit in a G5!!!

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I went to the dealer about 2 hours ago with the intention of leaving in a black 2014 GTS (I even had someone drop me off!). I was (and somewhat still am) the quintessential "serious buyer!"

I hadn't driven a G5 until moments ago (I'm used to Ferraris and Corvettes - both of which are pretty comfy for taller guys like me). I walked away from the deal because I feel like there is little to no visibility for someone my height in a G5. I had the seats all the way down and back but I still couldn't see much farther than 30-40' in front of the car without cocking my head sideways.

I'm just curious if any of you are 6'2-6'3 like I am (slim to medium build) and how you deal with what seems like dangerously reduced visibility due to stature? I was squeezed into the seat but I suppose I can deal with that.. It's the headroom/visibility that has me most concerned...

I've got a GREAT deal locked in on the EXACT car I want but now I'm starting to second guess myself and think maybe I should hold-out for the C7Z (I've always fit very well in the Corvettes). I'm really torqued about this because the G5 I've got my eyes on is PURE SEX.

I suppose I could just close my eyes and stab the pedal on the right! Hang on!!!:D

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I went to the dealer about 2 hours ago with the intention of leaving in a black 2014 GTS (I even had someone drop me off!). I was (and somewhat still am) the quintessential "serious buyer!"

I hadn't driven a G5 until moments ago (I'm used to Ferraris and Corvettes - both of which are pretty comfy for taller guys like me). I walked away from the deal because I feel like there is little to no visibility for someone my height in a G5. I had the seats all the way down and back but I still couldn't see much farther than 30-40' in front of the car without cocking my head sideways.

I'm just curious if any of you are 6'2-6'3 like I am (slim to medium build) and how you deal with what seems like dangerously reduced visibility due to stature? I was squeezed into the seat but I suppose I can deal with that.. It's the headroom/visibility that has me most concerned...

I've got a GREAT deal locked in on the EXACT car I want but now I'm starting to second guess myself and think maybe I should hold-out for the C7Z (I've always fit very well in the Corvettes). I'm really torqued about this because the G5 I've got my eyes on is PURE SEX.

I suppose I could just close my eyes and stab the pedal on the right! Hang on!!!:D

6'-2" and large weightlifter build (295lbs) fit is on the cozy side compared to vette but hugs my sides perfectly. The seat is 20x better than my old vette. I don't slide the seat all the way back, probably 1.5-2" shy of all the way, and then recline the seat back against the rear wall. Takes a little getting used to because it always feels like I am looking down compared to my old z06, but the feeling of reduced visibility I feel is more due to the windshield that is only about half as big and much smaller side windows.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stryker,

I appreciate the info. That gives me hope. Perhaps I should go back and try that (the seat bit)! I'm really looking for someone to help talk me into this damn car. It's just SO darn easy on the eyes!!!!

Edit: BTW - I don't know you from the FN Forums, do I?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe there is a bolt that can be removed, to lower the rear of the seat an inch or two as well (may already be gone in the 2014). Contact Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse, and he may be able to give you some tips.

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe there is a bolt that can be removed, to lower the rear of the seat an inch or two as well (may already be gone in the 2014). Contact Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse, and he may be able to give you some tips.

On my 2013 it was already gone

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stryker,

I appreciate the info. That gives me hope. Perhaps I should go back and try that (the seat bit)! I'm really looking for someone to help talk me into this damn car. It's just SO darn easy on the eyes!!!!

Edit: BTW - I don't know you from the FN Forums, do I?

Dont even know what FN is. but glad to help.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 6 ft you definitely need to lower the seat all the way down. The 13's can be lowered another inch by removal of a spacer. I believe the 14's already have the s pacer removed

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the taller guys leave the seat forward a couple clicks and just recline the back a little further. The pedals being adjustable makes this work.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Fellas! I bought it.. I'll use a lot of lube to help me get in and out of it....

Tiago, I believe we've met! A few years back. I had a yellow TT C6Z. I believe we met at an event in Orlando. You had a ******** fast TA IIRC. You were very kind and took the time to help find me find my way around the area (i didn't know the area) and I'll never forget that. Thanks! (assuming that's you! If not, disregard and you are certainly a bastard of gargantuan proportions for participating in talking me in to this deal).

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep:-/. 6'2" and had to put the 1" lowering kit into my 2000 GTS and the 05 vert:( and the gen V seems as bad or worse.
Scary to drive with the headliner blocking the street lights from your lined site.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here's some car ****:
You must be registered for see images attach

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Fellas! I bought it.. I'll use a lot of lube to help me get in and out of it....

Tiago, I believe we've met! A few years back. I had a yellow TT C6Z. I believe we met at an event in Orlando. You had a ******** fast TA IIRC. You were very kind and took the time to help find me find my way around the area (i didn't know the area) and I'll never forget that. Thanks! (assuming that's you! If not, disregard and you are certainly a bastard of gargantuan proportions for participating in talking me in to this deal).

yep I remember, wouldn't never had guessed by the SN LOL.

Enjoy the new car!

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
purenxs, thanks for the photochop! Love it!

Tiago,

Glad to know you're still doing the car thing!!!

Ya, in this day and age I just felt it was not so smart to broadcast your full name on such high-profile forums (like where we often post) so I came up with this name. It makes me chuckle.

Back to the problem at hand- I'm going to pull the seats out in the next few days and see if I can engineer some sort of lowering solution.

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Awesome!! I know your stoked. Let us know how the seat lowering goes cause I may want to do the same.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are out at the car show on Flagler in West Palm today! If any of yall are in the area, stop by. Car is at the entrance to the VIP area.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
removing the 'spacer' bolt helped me a lot, gained a solid 3/4 to an inch lower seating

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is this spacer located and is there a chance of crushing any wires under the seat. Thanks/Dave

Reaction score
Where is this spacer located and is there a chance of crushing any wires under the seat. Thanks/Dave

If your car has the bolts they are on the rear part of the seat tracks. Slide the seat up all the way and look/feel from the rear up the tracks. The bolts are about an inch tall and have a plastic top. A slight turn with a wrench and they will spin right off. Late 13' and all 14's come with the bolts already removed though.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely no spacers on the 2014 and definitely no way to [reasonably easily] lower the OEM driver's seat. Argh.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try moving the lower section of the seat a couple clicks closer to the wheel, push the pedals all the way back, and recline the upper seat more to to contact the rear shelf. Works better that way.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony is correct, I don't push the base of the seat all the way back as far as it can go, I bring it up about two inches and then recline the seat further (I am 6'2'')

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I am 6'3 and the method you and Tony mentioned are the best-suited... However, I still don't fit... But I love the damn car.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the part giving you trouble? Hitting your head on the roof? Leg room?

I think you'll get the hang of it eventually - my left knee sometimes hits the dash, but - in the end who cares LOL

I generally slouch a bit so I can get better visibility