How to fix squeak in top on 03 SRT10?

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my car, there is a squeak that comes from the top, it is right behind me. I have no clue how to fix it as the rear "wall" with the hoops sits so high. I don't see a way to access the frame to perhaps tighten it or put some grease on it, anyone have any idea how to get access to the top mechanism that sits behind the rear seat hoops? I was hoping that maybe unbolting all the screws that hold the bottom of the top in the trunk may allow me to lift that section up and see what is going on back there?

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some small allen bolts back there that fasten the interface between the top and side mini structural beams. The interface is slightly behind the sport hoops. They are easier to access when the top is not entirely closed (leave a 5-10" gap).

Those maybe lose and causing the squeak.

My $.02

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some small allen bolts back there that fasten the interface between the top and side mini structural beams. The interface is slightly behind the sport hoops. They are easier to access when the top is not entirely closed (leave a 5-10" gap).

Those maybe lose and causing the squeak.

My $.02

What he said. However, after owning 4 Vipers from Gen 1-3 I learned they have some squeeks that are hard to locate and hard to fix. Best of luck. BTW, my Gen 3 top did not have this issue which leads me to believe you probably will be able to fix it. Does it squeek if the top is up or down, or both? Someone who knows more about this may need that answered to help you.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear it when the top is up, it comes from the driver side, feels like its behind the hoop. It's triggered when I am going over bumps, uneven surfaces, etc.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear it when the top is up, it comes from the driver side, feels like its behind the hoop. It's triggered when I am going over bumps, uneven surfaces, etc.

I have the exact same problem. I thought there was nothing I could do about it as I've heard that the top will squeak when closed but I'm listening... :eater:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck fixing squeaks when it involves a top with this many moving parts and not even a foam liner or headliner to help with road noise/squeaks. This is one draw back to the viper soft tops and one big reason I cant fall in love with my vert.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The upper shock mount is also in that location, right behind your left shoulder. Generally the noise from a shock is more likely to be a knock or pop than a squeak, though. I will say that my top on the '05 doesn't squeak, though I do have a couple of rattles over hard bumps. The big one for me was where the little posts on the top go into the windshield header. I wrapped mine in the Velcro fuzzy material to fix that creaking noise from the top posts.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't know your Viper had a top???

:rolaugh::rolaugh::lmao: very occasionally it has one. But now after a few months I understand why you never used it :2tu: If I could I'd be the same way damn Washington weather.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get a Viper that doesn't squeek somewhere on the car, that would be something to be worried about. These cars are pretty raw even in the Gen 3 and probably even more likely on the first model year of the Gen 3. Best of luck.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well if it would just squeak on occasion then I would understand but it's relatively loud and happens pretty much the whole time I drive, I haven't even attempted to fix it, I will try to see what is up this weekend

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 03 vert. The squeak is the latch that holds top secure in the down position, or at least it was on my car. It has come loose. It takes some fiddling to get to it, but can be fixed. There is a thread on it in here.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know its not the same squeak but feel worth sharing. I had a squeak at the top where it met the windshield. It was the plastic piece that the spike slips into on the corner. There was a torque-star screw inside. After tightening, the squeak went away.

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 04 did not make any noise. A trick I use on my 72 is use spray wax on all joints for vert top. I also have a roll bar, it rubs interior parts and squeaks. Once in a while i hit that spot with some Armor All, noise gone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang