How to make Gen 1 sound better

William Lasater

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my first viper and learning the viper world. My 1994 TR/10 is completely stock. I want to make it sound better to start with, without spending the bucks for a new exhaust system. Any suggestions?
Bill Lasater
slither

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want your car better sounding without buying a better exhaust system, you can remove the cats.

If you want it to sound as good as it really is you will need to spend the money to buy an engineered exhaust system. They're engineered to sound better and they do. Anything else is a compromise.

If removing the cats isn't enough improvement, you could also buy headers and instal them. Or purchase the Gen 2 stock headers and use them. That will lighten your car and increase hp at the same time. I happen to have a set of 'like new' Gen 2 headers and bends with flex pipe for sale. Send me a PM.

Ted

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm thats a hard one, basically I personally think your going to have to at LEAST buy a nice cat-back exhaust system (i'd suggest B&B) and then take the cats off. Other than that besides buying headers which are also expensive Its going to be hard to make it sound real good. Look around for a used exhaust system, maybe off a wrecked Viper, call up john B at parts Rack and see what he might have. Or call up someone like Paul/Don Scharff (sp?) and see what he might have. Good luck and enjoy your Viper.:drive:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you're looking for bang for your buck, get a few Magnaflow mufflers and cut the cats off. You should be able to get the install and mufflers for under $200. Here is a link to a before/after of mine. I get compliments on my exhaust, and it sounds about the same as the $900 Roe catback. Nice n' loud when you're on it, a little popping and burble on decel, solid rumble at idle.

YouTube - New Viper Exhaust

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before cutting the cats out, try cutting the old mufflers out. Replace with straight pipe. Lots quieter than cats gone... Once the cats are out, its LOUD!!!

V

Venomiss

Welcome! Here is another place to shop for parts from a site sponsor:

XVIPERS INC

In fact here is a listing of some site sponsors for you:
Viper Club of America

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by a moderator:

'93 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're looking for bang for your buck, get a few Magnaflow mufflers and cut the cats off. You should be able to get the install and mufflers for under $200. Here is a link to a before/after of mine. I get compliments on my exhaust, and it sounds about the same as the $900 Roe catback. Nice n' loud when you're on it, a little popping and burble on decel, solid rumble at idle.

YouTube - New Viper Exhaust

Which diameter Magnaflow mufflers did you use? I used the 4" outside diameter ones and its alittle loud. I am thinking of switching to either the 5" or 6" but have not decided yet.

Thanks.

John Baringer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my first viper and learning the viper world. My 1994 TR/10 is completely stock. I want to make it sound better to start with, without spending the bucks for a new exhaust system. Any suggestions?
Bill Lasater
slither

Spend the money and get a Roe Racing 3" cat back exhaust.

3" Roe Racing High Flow Side Exhaust System - 92-95 Viper - Exhaust Systems - Roe Racing

Had my mechanic install in April, best thing I have done so far. Sound is way better then stock. Need to get some video footage or sound clips put up. There was some video post of the Roe Exhaust in action. Can not find the post now.

Installing the Roe Exhaust also help the heat issues on the side sills, and inside the car. If you have any other questions about the exhaust, just PM me.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand new, never installed original ROE system with high flow cats i'm thinking about selling. PM me with offers and if the offer sounds good I may sell. (If it has to be posted as an ad, I will change the post).

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Which diameter Magnaflow mufflers did you use? I used the 4" outside diameter ones and its alittle loud. I am thinking of switching to either the 5" or 6" but have not decided yet.

Thanks.

I don't know. The invoice just says "Magnaflow mufflers" on it. I can call the shop that did it to see if they remember though. Give me a day or two.

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get "cherry bombs"...the longest you can fit, will rumble deeper, more than the magnaflo's or Borla cans. You'll save cash too. If you remove the cat (warning, it does smell a lot as a sidepipe) you can put 4 foot cherry's on, and make sure you at least get the 3" diameter (not stock 2.5"). They will fit fine.
I put roe hi-flows (3") and 36" long (3") cherry bombs. Rumble and trumpets at WOT, revs so responsive...the best thing I ever did.

Check out my old in-depth post on the my exhaust mod.
:2tu:
PS- get smooth tubes and KandN filters, great for the money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang