How to mount Kumho Ecsta XS?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my Forgeline wheels with Kumho tires an hour ago and all I can say is WOW!!! These are top notch wheels and one of a kind that is for sure! Great thanks to JonB from PartsRack for setting me up with this package and giving me great price and outstanding customer service!

I was going to put them right away, but uunfortunately e-brake kit didn't show up with today's mail, so I'll be hoping for it to come tomorrow.

I have a question though, the tires are simms to be asymmetrical so how do I recognize which one is the right tire and which one is the left tire? These tires have ECSTA sign on them should the tire be mounted the way that sign goes from back to front - E looking towards the rear of the car and A towards the front, or the other way around? What do you think?
Thanks.

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.......I have a question though, the tires are simms to be asymmetrical so how do I recognize which one is the right tire and which one is the left tire? These tires have ECSTA sign on them should the tire be mounted the way that sign goes from back to front - E looking towards the rear of the car and A towards the front, or the other way around? What do you think?
Thanks.

Looking at the pictures from Tire Rack...there seems to be a printed side that states "outside". Upon ordering the tires from Tire Rack...it doesnt specify left front, right rear, etc.....so.....I would figure that as long as the word "outside" is on the outside, you are good to go.

mjorgensen has these on...you might want to PM him if you have more questions.

Goodluck though.

Speed safe. :2tu:

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at the pictures from Tire Rack...there seems to be a printed side that states "outside". Upon ordering the tires from Tire Rack...it doesnt specify left front, right rear, etc.....so.....I would figure that as long as the word "outside" is on the outside, you are good to go.

mjorgensen has these on...you might want to PM him if you have more questions.

Goodluck though.

Speed safe. :2tu:

Yep, aware of the "outside" sign however, even with the "outside" being outside you can still see the difference between right and left side. The problem is which one is which. Unfortunately I don't know how to post a picture here otherwise I would have posted two pictures of two different ways how they can be mounted on the car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was 90 minutes replying to his email.... "OUTSIDE" is correct, and the tires/wheel can be rotated left or right

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, aware of the "outside" sign however, even with the "outside" being outside you can still see the difference between right and left side. The problem is which one is which. Unfortunately I don't know how to post a picture here otherwise I would have posted two pictures of two different ways how they can be mounted on the car.

I think what is more important is which half of the tire is on the outside...not necessarily the pattern of the direction of the tread. The tire looks to be divided in thirds by different "block" patterns due to handling the cornering aspect of the tire versus the high speed aspect versus the water channeling aspect. So...as long as you got the right half on the outside....then the rest comes into play. Look at the Nitto Invo's and I believe the idea was/is the same in regards to handling characteristics.

Before....(correct me if I am wrong please......though)...if I am not mistaken, the "old" technology in regards to performance was full directional versus just symmetrical tires. Then that changed to outside portion, versus middle portion, versus inside portion. Each third performs a specific task, i.e. larger blocks on the outside to hold the centripetal force for maximum tire grip/contact patch, thin lines in the middle for high speed lower friction resistance, and "irrigation" tread patterns on the inside for water evacuation....or something like that. Though....I would think that this is a layman's definition and not an engineers one....sorry.

So bottom line just follow the tires direction in regards to having the side that says outside...on the outside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave