How to tell if stripes are from factory or after market

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can tell if my stripes are factory? Viper is red with silver stripes.

I've also been able to pull up the original description of the car, I'm thinking the one in bold is the line item for stripes? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Code Description Code Description Code Description
*CL LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS
-X9 BLACK
ACR COMPETITION GROUP
AGF COMFORT GROUP
CG5P 5 POINT RESTRAINT DRIVING BELTS
DEC 6-SPEED MANUAL TREMEC TRANSMISSION
EWB 8.0L V10 SFI ENGINE
GRKP LEFT POWER MIRROR
GSKP RIGHT POWER MIRROR
HEAP AIR CONDITIONING
KASP RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE -
LN8P DELETE FOG LAMPS
MDAP FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
NAS 50 STATE EMISSIONS
NNLP LOW RESTRICTION AIR CLEANER
PRN VIPER RED CLEAR COAT
REAP PREMIUM ALPINE STEREO RADIO
SDKP COMPETITION SUSPENSION
TZHP MICHELIN BRAND TIRES
WPEP 18 ALUMINUM SILVER WHEELS
XHPP DASH PLAQUE
YBBA TAG INSTRUCTIONS
YEPA MANUF STATEMENT OF ORIGIN
YGEA 5 ADDITIONAL GALLONS OF GAS
2DAA CUSTOMER PREFERRED PACKAGE 2DA
21A CUSTOMER PREFERRED PACKAGE 21A
3EJA GAS GUZZLER TAX
4BAA COMPANY CAR TRACKING
4BC MARKETING / PUBLIC RELATIONS VEHICLE
4EAA SOLD VEHICLE
4HA SPECIAL SCHEDULING CONDITION

Last edited:

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easiest way is call your local Dodge Dealer, give them the VIN, and get the paint code. If there are two paint codes in their computer, stripe is factory, and if there is only one paint code, stripe is aftermarket.

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ask them nicely..... yeah best thing is call the dealer.... or if you have a carfax account it might possibly say..

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One quick way to determine if was painted from the factory is the inside of the hood scoop also follow the striping including the vertical section of the opening. I have seen many stripes only painted/stickered on the hood section only. To be sure, you need to check the window sticker option on your car.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a build sheet I presume. Anything could be going on with that car, see the "Company Car Tracking" designation? AND the "Marketing Public Relations Vehicle"?
You either have a "Press car" tested by the magazines or possible a Skip Barber school car. And I don't think the option listed is for stripes as it says "Badge" more likely it refers to the Silver ACR badging as other indicators such as foglight deletion lead us to believe it would be an ACR. I've owned two factory striped GTS's and the stripes are clearly listed under "optional equipment". Another way to tell is if the stripes have a definite ridge that you can feel at the edge, that is factory. Most aftermarket stripes were sanded and buffed to eliminate the edge and feel smooth in transition.

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, looks like it's most likely factory... although I won't know for sure until I take a look at the original sticker. There are definitely ridges on the stripes, and all of the scoop angles are clearly painted with the silver stripe.

Thanks for the responses, I'll have to order the sticker.

Hmm, public relations vehicle... it must have an interesting story behind it. Wish I knew more about it.

Last edited:

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, looks like it's most likely factory... although I won't know for sure until I take a look at the original sticker. There are definitely ridges on the stripes, and all of the scoop angles are clearly painted with the silver stripe.

Thanks for the responses, I'll have to order the sticker.

Hmm, public relations vehicle... it must have an interesting story behind it. Wish I knew more about it.

A public relations vehicle really just means everyone and their mother had a turn driving the wheels off it....typically people who would never be able to afford one, as a result they are usually treated poorly. Personally I would avoid any press/PR/"Executive driven" vehicles at all costs. The only interesting stories likely associated with it was when it had its chin smacked off many parking blocks and left out in the detroit winter in a "storage facility".

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The code for factory stripes on my 00 GTS is APV and are listed, on the DC to dealer invoice, as: APV Stripes - Dual Painted

That let me to believe that the stripes on your car are not factory

Luc 00GTS