HPR lap times calculated

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went back through the video I recorded from my lap days at High Plains Raceway and came up with the numbers below. I've improved since my first day on the track and had two consistent laps on the second time out so I'm happy about that :D

HPR with instructor Friday 5/18/12

1st lap time - 2:36

2nd lap time - 2:38

3rd lap time - 2:45

4th lap time - 2:26

NASA HPR with instructor Sunday 5/27/12

1st lap time - 2:36

2nd lap time - 2:20

3rd lap time - 2:20

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice progression! Not familiar with the track so I have no gauge on those times.....but big difference. Do you know what happened "right" on the 2:20 laps? Perhaps you were just getting in the groove or maybe following someone fast, or dialed-in tire pressures.....?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm averaging about 2:06 if I get a clean lap (no traffic hold ups). As much as I've been there, it's kind of lame. I'm still on the learning curve I suppose. My car should be capable of just under 2:00, there are some corners that I know I could carry more speed through, but I'd rather not push to hard and wish I didn't. There's no trophy for having to ride home on a tow truck. -don't ask how I know. Your ACR with more seat time and instruction will smoke my 'street Viper'. You could probably run around 1:55 at least. -don't be in a hurry to be in a hurry though. It takes alot of practice to run that quick. Just letting you know about where the bar is set for similar cars. Above all be safe and have fun! -Allan

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to burn anybody out, but there is a particular driving instructor that frequents that track, I run into him alot (he keeps bugging me to take his class -and I need to, the guy is amazing) anyway he clocked a 1:54 in his 2010 Grand Sport. (thats only a 430hp car) He also has a 08 or something Z06 and on an open lapping day, he went around me coming out of turn 3 like if I was parked. This dude is an absolute monster. -smooth, clean and unbelievably fast.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer 12's car is highly modded. My car has the typical idiot bolt-ons, but I do have a track alignment. I run Sport Cups. Boxer runs Hoosiers. I just like to have fun and am not overly concerned about lap times, I'm aware,... I know that I personally should be better than I am, but I'm not losing sleep over it. The o.p. seems to be having fun as well. That is all that really matters.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A LOT of time-performance is in set up (rather than HP). From the tires to the alignment to spring rates, shock settings, sway bar diameter etc etc etc. I've seen stock-motored but well set up C5 Z06's run even with ACRXs.

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Sorry for the late reply. I posted this and then got busy and didn't get back here to check the comments. Thanks for the feedback.

DrumrBoy, I think it was a combination of things. I was getting in the groove and trying to catch up with someone that was going fast (which I actually did catch up with and passed). If I see someone in front of me I think I can catch up with and pass it does seem to help. Jim (Boxer12) also helped me adjust my spoiler and helped me with setting my tire pressure correctly for the track which I'm sure helped as well.

Allen, that's a good time getting 2:06. Jim's car is awesome and he is really fast!

Jim, it was good to meet you too. Thanks for everything you helped me out with at the track last week! It was awesome getting to see everything you did to your car and especially getting to go for a ride in your car. You are definitely a very talented race car driver! I agree the Viper is a lot of car to handle and thanks for the comments. Even though I've only been to the track twice it's good to see improvement. It's obviously going to take a lot of practice to get it dialed in but it is also a lot of fun!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks -remember, I'm only driving a lame slightly modded genIII, so I'll never see sub two minutes at HPR like Jim, and probably you in the future as well. Those genIV cars are way stupid fast. The only cars that run faster are non street legal full race prepped cars, or open wheel F1 style cars. With more seat time, your car will amaze you (and others). be safe, hope to see you at the track sometime.