I am a brave man

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I taught my wife how to give the car a go tonight in a nice large empty parking lot. Never driven a manual before, and we don't have access to another really.

She only stalled twice :( - her biggest issue was just not giving more gas once she started easing up the clutch. No burnt clutch smell at all, which was the surprising part. Never got out of first though, thats for next time.

She loved it. I worry she'll want to drive it more!

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you are.

Vipers are difficult to maneuver through parking lots for women in general because they are difficult to see out of if you are short.

The good part is that Vipers have so much torque they are very easy to keep running without stalling out because you barely have to push the gas.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you are.

Vipers are difficult to maneuver through parking lots for women in general because they are difficult to see out of if you are short.

The good part is that Vipers have so much torque they are very easy to keep running without stalling out because you barely have to push the gas.

It was nice, large, empty, no light poles and didn't get above 20, so it was quite controlled, plus she is 5'10, so she is tall enough!

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I taught my wife to drive to drive stick in my 1968 427 corvette it was a wild ride she even got pulled over for running a red light in front of a cop because she did not want to stop. We talked our way out of that one and she even smoked the tires pulling away from the trafic stop. now she has her own 96 GTS with a built motor and a 09 Corvette GT1
You must be registered for see images attach

and she drove my new GTS this week end then she said something about needing her own LOL :)

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I taught my wife to drive to drive stick in my 1968 427 corvette it was a wild ride she even got pulled over for running a red light in front of a cop because she did not want to stop. We talked our way out of that one and she even smoked the tires pulling away from the trafic stop. now she has her own 96 GTS with a built motor and a 09 Corvette GT1

and she drove my new GTS this week end then she said something about needing her own LOL :)

LOL now that is awesome. Nothing that dramatic for us!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I let my wife drive once. She put it in gear, eased out the clutch and went about a foot before I yelled, STOP!!! I made her get out and I never let her try again. The whole incident was just too much for me. lol

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I let my wife drive once. She put it in gear, eased out the clutch and went about a foot before I yelled, STOP!!! I made her get out and I never let her try again. The whole incident was just too much for me. lol

My wife learned how to drive stick/clutch on a Viper..... a rental car Viper that is .....

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the title and instantly thought "oh this poor guy tried teaching his wife how to drive a stick in his Viper". I opened the thread and here we are! Lol

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny stuff in this thread. Brave men indeed. My father, who taught me, you know, like everything in life including how to drive and how to drive stick shift... stresses me out insanely when he is driving it. Its better if I'm not in the car. I don't even have that much of a 'my baby' syndrome with the car, but something about it and I can't bare it.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is harder to learn manual in a 4cyl econocar. Those little cars don't make enough torque, and require more throttle to get moving. The big V8 and V10 cars are a breeze to get moving, and usually won't even stall if you let the clutch out slowly and apply no throttle. Have her practice just letting the clutch out slowly to get moving, no throttle. Then learn to do the added throttle. My wife dislikes driving automatic cars now, even if they are quick. I've taught her well.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny stuff in this thread. Brave men indeed. My father, who taught me, you know, like everything in life including how to drive and how to drive stick shift... stresses me out insanely when he is driving it. Its better if I'm not in the car. I don't even have that much of a 'my baby' syndrome with the car, but something about it and I can't bare it.

I think if one can respect the power, they can drive it fine. There are plenty of people I'd barely let in the vehicle let alone even sit in the drivers seat, without the keys!

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is harder to learn manual in a 4cyl econocar. Those little cars don't make enough torque, and require more throttle to get moving. The big V8 and V10 cars are a breeze to get moving, and usually won't even stall if you let the clutch out slowly and apply no throttle. Have her practice just letting the clutch out slowly to get moving, no throttle. Then learn to do the added throttle. My wife dislikes driving automatic cars now, even if they are quick. I've taught her well.

I mean, at 2000 RPM it kicks out as much HP as most road cars do at full throttle - it is really a breeze to pick up. We'll give a few more go's, work her up to actually shifting.

The hardest part is explaining when to shift, "you just know by the sound" is not a decent answer :p

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell her shift at 3k RPM and downshift at 1200 RPM. When she gets better you can show her the red line and tell her to shift there.

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easiest car to learn to drive stick.. What worries me though is the dreaded hill stop... But my wife hates sports cars so I don't need to worry about that .. she takes her gas guzzling GL550 and is on her merry way. Personally I hate that truck.. not worth the money at all.. But her firm gave her a allowance on a car so she spent it on that.. Couldn't get her to go for the 2014 grand Cherokee SRT8... BLAH

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And yes, you did have to buy her her very own Gen V...

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easiest car to learn to drive stick.. What worries me though is the dreaded hill stop... But my wife hates sports cars so I don't need to worry about that .. she takes her gas guzzling GL550 and is on her merry way. Personally I hate that truck.. not worth the money at all.. But her firm gave her a allowance on a car so she spent it on that.. Couldn't get her to go for the 2014 grand Cherokee SRT8... BLAH

No worries there, we have hill assist! Try it out next time you are on a hill with no one behind you. The car must sense the angle of incline and it engages the brakes for a couple seconds to give you time to move your foot from the brake to gas.

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Learning to drive a manual has been the conversation for us over the past 2 weeks......she seems to weasel her way out of the opportunity to learn though.

The dealership offered to BVA a ugly as sin lime green Dart GT to learn in. She declined because it wasn't pretty.....LOL

I remember my first 6 speed car.... a 2001 WS6 Trans Am. Everyone at the dealership was in awe of the car and parked it in the delivery bay for pictures. As I left I stalled.......in the bay.....with cute little office girls snickering at me. At that point I told myself "I will burn the tires off before I stall in front of 20 people again"

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasty, honestly the Vioer is decent to learn in. Bullet proof engine and transmission - not much she could mess up.
Just find a massive parking lot that is empty and you'll be good to go!

We aren't doing it all at once, which I think is important. My wife is intimidated by the car, but I don't think she needs to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper