I am a Viper Purist but I can see that the new Viper has to change.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? So Dodge doesn't make any money off the Dodge dealers I've purchased parts from? Interesting.

You said it yourself many times. The Viper is a small part of the overall Dodge brand which is a small part of the entire organization.

If you don't buy a car, then the amount of money made on "parts" is minimal.

Why did the club invest in the part VPA in the first place? Dodge wanted out of it. NO MONEY.

What is so hard to understand?:dunno:

As for 46hemi above, I think that you are on to something. Not trying to be a rebel or anything but many things have changed. It is nice to see someone remember what has gone on here.

As for this comment :

"It’s not demeaning anyone saying there bad drivers if they want nannies. ", this argument just flies in the face of common sense.

Formula 1 drivers, for example, had active suspension systems back in the 1980's. To call those drivers "bad" because they had "nannies" is just complete fiction.

People just do not recall back that long. First, it was "Keep the Viper raw"....no coupes. Then the coupe came and people relented. Then it was "no anti-lock brakes"....they are nannies, but the car got them. I don't hear anyone saying that they dont want anti-lock brakes on the car. You flat spot the tires and pay for them, you wish you had the anti-locks.

Instead of people being outraged in there being no convert model, which is really the heritage of the car, people are worried about a stupid system that will most likely be able to be turned off. This is all just grandstanding of people saying that they are great drivers.......Bravo.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You said it yourself many times. The Viper is a small part of the overall Dodge brand which is a small part of the entire organization.

This is what you said barrister
Dodge makes no money off these people. Zero.
An embellishment which could have been overlooked had you not felt the need to emphasize it by adding the "zero", which of course makes your comment even less true. In fact the profit margin on parts is astronomically higher than the profit margin of the car.

You flat spot the tires and pay for them, you wish you had the anti-locks.
I've flat spotted many and from that I've learned numerous braking techniques that one couldn't learn with ABS. But then, I bought a sports car for the purpose of sport, as many of us of the anti-nanny crowd did.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Formula 1 drivers, for example, had active suspension systems back in the 1980's. To call those drivers "bad" because they had "nannies" is just complete fiction.

Uh, the FIA banned those systems because it took away from actual driving skill, and the teams with the biggest budget and best traction/suspension software had an advantage.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently sold a 2009 Corvette ZR1 and a 2008 Viper Coupe and bought a 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S.I have had 3 Vipers and 5 Corvettes.Loved them all.But let me tell you,the Porsche 911 Turbo S is a far better,faster and nicer car.The PDK trans with the launch control gives very hard and perfect shifts everytime.The car pulls insane from the stop with launch control.Believe me,you will be over that shifting real quick if you drove one.I hope they put all the stuff the Porsches on the new Viper.I will by one for sure.No more shifting,missed gears and wheel hop for me.

Let's review what you said, Better car=personal opinion, Faster= Don't think so!! nicer car=another personal opinion.. Sounds like you don't need to wait for the GEN V, You are already driving your dream car. Good for you! Just leave the hard riding g-force breaking shift it yourself scary loud hide the women and children race car feel of the current Viper for people who appreciate that kind of stuff! Plus...all for half the price of a 911 turbo. I should know, I have owned two 911 turbo's and I never got the rush the Viper has been able to provide.:drive:

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe that nobody wants Dodge to create a GenV antique.

I cannot imagine every supercar in our days to increase its performance and sophistication and the Viper to remain in the same old technology.

Dodge has proved that can make amazing cars, and I am sure that the new GenV will kick asses too.

And for those that still insist against the modernization of the GenV, there are many older Gens around, well maintained where they can buy at a reasonable price.

Is it maybe all these advancements prove that we are getting older and not accept it?
It reminds me my grandfather words, "...in our times everything was better, people were better,cars were better..."

Let the younger buy the new modern Viper like we did 20 years ago... :)

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Let the younger buy......." Hey, we older folks aren't ready to die yet! We're not rolling over for the kids; we can nuture them (only if they will appreciate it) but we still get to live.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, the FIA banned those systems because it took away from actual driving skill, and the teams with the biggest budget and best traction/suspension software had an advantage.

Respectfully, that is not the point. At that time, using the aforementioned logic, none of those drivers were good because they used "nannies".

I am not going to say that during that time some of the greatest drivers in the world were not good because the cars they used happened to have "nannies".

What happened afterward, with the change in rules, attempted to make the series cheaper. It had the opposite result. More emphasis was placed on car weight/aerodynamics to compensate for the relatively cheaper electronic systems. Not all teams have the ability to do the extensive testing needed.

The series has suffered because of it. Good thing? Not at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456