I am a Viper Purist but I can see that the new Viper has to change.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I wouldn't call myself a purist by any measure, most things in life that are the most fun have a certain element of danger and difficulty. Whether that's going around a roadcourse, or taggin' that unattainable blonde.

Some people would rather just get the best result without the inherent challenges involved. And there is a market for those guys: Nissan GT-Rs and High dollar call girls.

I like the fact that I've spun off the track 3 times in this last year, it makes it more exciting for me that my car wants to kill me. If it had AWD, it would probably be faster, yes, but I wouldn't be.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be hard to imagine the thrust of a V10 AWD with launch control :2tu:

George

You can configure the launch control through an AEM and it launches HARD.

I would be in for paddle shifters and ABS, Traction control, and airbags. Other than the paddle shifters everything else is a safety option. I do like the idea of being able to turn the stuff off. However now that I have launch control I could never imagine turning it off.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I wouldn't call myself a purist by any measure, most things in life that are the most fun have a certain element of danger and difficulty. Whether that's going around a roadcourse, or taggin' that unattainable blonde.

Some people would rather just get the best result without the inherent challenges involved. And there is a market for those guys: Nissan GT-Rs and High dollar call girls.

I like the fact that I've spun off the track 3 times in this last year, it makes it more exciting for me that my car wants to kill me. If it had AWD, it would probably be faster, yes, but I wouldn't be.

Sounds like somebody could use some driver's lessons! :omg:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this talk of a "new" formula,I do not think the formula has changed.
The car will be different because it is designed in a different time.
The formula is: If it does not make it go faster it is not on the car!
I'm not a fan of Tc but it is mandated so can you make the car faster with it and
Turn it ?
Refinement to the current Viper?
For me it's;
Absolutely no hint of corvette
Less weight
Paint that does not fall off
Paint without solvent popping
Panel alignment
Quality control
And most importantly more torque!

harley1211

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree lilgookiemonsta. I wish they would have left it alone. Its a RAW car and thats why we love it. If you don't like the RAW of the car buy a Volkswagon.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper was created as a raw driving machine and that’s how it should stay. It’s the Vipers Legacy, it is what makes it different to every other car out there, it’s a plus not a minus in the Viper buying experience. Other car guys should look at a Viper on a track and see it is being driven by a gutsy driver that relies on his talent not a videogamer who pushes the buttons just right.The raw driving experience is one of the reasons that makes this car so special.

But it’s not what buyers want. (Look at Viper sales figures.) To me I can’t understand why anyone would buy something other than a Viper when wanting a weekend toy. Rare, reliable, fast as hell around a track, fast as hell in a straight line, looks, fun, etc. in my opinion no other car comes close. But again it’s not what buyers want. The Viper has to change if it wants to survive and perhaps the new Viper won’t be my favorite but it will be the selling favorite so we can keep the best car brand ever alive.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure it's all going to work out fine. If everyone that saw the proto is correct, then it will be an exciting time. But if it turns out to be lame, then those of us that have the "old" vipers will find their value rise much like the Ford GT has. It's a win/win situation.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must say, having come from Porsches (not all that long though), that their owners are generally snobs and look down on cars like the Viper. Like it or not, the Viper lacks the sophistication of the world's top class cars. That's not to say the Viper is not up to the task, but looking ahead, must find a way to increase the base of customers. I too come from a career in Corporate Marketing and understand the need to make compromises in order to put out a successful (sales/profits) product.

While I am a purist to a point, I do appreciate some of the nice touches that these other cars offer. To Bill's point, some of us have bad hips, bad backs, bad knees and the like and getting in and out and even driving the current Viper can be a painful experience.

It shouldn't be the only way, but there is nothing wrong IMHO with offering a series of options to make the car more appealling to the less ********* drivers...things like 8-10 way power sport seats (power lumbar), heated/cooled seats, manual shifting auto like Porsche's Triptronic in addition to greater computer involvement.

They could also produce a standard version, luxury version and all out performance version (ACR-X)...just look at the Super Snake Mustang...meets all Fed. requirements and puts out 800hp!

Just my opinion!:smirk:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... To me I can’t understand why anyone would buy something other than a Viper when wanting a weekend toy. Rare, reliable, fast as hell around a track, fast as hell in a straight line, looks, fun, etc. in my opinion no other car comes close......

+1 :2tu:

:drive:

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its hard to drive..who cares. What a bunch of sissies.

This is the same company who is marketing 35k dollar Jeep wranglers. This is the company who shuts down Tators - an American automotive icon. Welcome to the sellouts. I am done with Chrysler. I will keep my old, outdated, dangerous, uncomfortable, and hard to drive ACR right next to my Hemi Challenger. I understand why they want to do it ($$) - its just flies in the face of the the spirit of the original car but lets face it...we aint driving this ship.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my Gen1 in 1999 because it had the perfect combination of performance, stand out looks, and cost. I haven't looked at upgrading to a Gen3/Gen4 because that combination isn't there. I'm still saving my pennies in the hopes that the Gen5 has that combination. In my opinion, stand out looks will be the thing that makes the Gen5 Viper work. Any car company can figure out a formula to make a car go far faster than 99.9% of the population can make use of. Most of them can figure out how to get a good price/performance combination. The trick is to figure out how much risk to take in leaving conventional styling behind.

Ask this question: Would the Gen1 Viper have succeeded if it had the same 'pure' sportscar powertrain it did in 1992 but had the styling of a Gen3? I think not. In 1992, for about the same list price, one could have gotten a ZR-1 Vette with the same power and acceleration. The ZR-1 was killed in 1995, while the Viper continued on.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is funny how people who have no intention of buying the new Viper feel that it is their responsibility to say what the new one will be like.

Somebody bought one ten years ago and they now say that anyone who wants to buy a new car will be a less skilled driver because of the technology in it. I am not going to make any comments on the driving capabilities of the other drivers on here. Some are obviously good. Some at the track, some at the dragstrip.

Same stupid arguments about "You can't build the car in that color because you said that it is an "exclusive" color for that year." Vanity at its best.

Like it really matters anyway. Dodge makes no money off these people. Zero.

Buy a Mercer if you want "skill". No nannies in there. It is funny how there is a sliding scale. What they have is perfectly fine, but everyone else is of a lesser stature.

If you make the argument that the car should just die because it is not true to its heritage, then that is a more valid argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_(car)

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is already 99" wheel base how small do you want it! plus you will be sitting in the trunk if any shorter trying to fit the V10

the car is abt as long as my mercedes e class from nose to bumper.
im afraid the gen 5 will be bigger and heavier. itll need 700hp just to compensate for its heft if thats the case.
maybe dodge can figure out a way to shorten the nose, i dont know.
from what im hearing it seems the car will be at least heavier. its heavy enough now i think.
just my opinion.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
all out performance version (ACR-X)...just look at the Super Snake Mustang...meets all Fed. requirements and puts out 800hp!

Just my opinion!:smirk:

When you say "all out performance version" then follow that comment with "ACRX", remember that the ACRX is NOT street legal, and doesn't meet Fed requirements.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is funny how people who have no intention of buying the new Viper feel that it is their responsibility to say what the new one will be like.

Somebody bought one ten years ago and they now say that anyone who wants to buy a new car will be a less skilled driver because of the technology in it. I am not going to make any comments on the driving capabilities of the other drivers on here. Some are obviously good. Some at the track, some at the dragstrip.

Same stupid arguments about "You can't build the car in that color because you said that it is an "exclusive" color for that year." Vanity at its best.

Buy a Mercer if you want "skill". No nannies in there. It is funny how there is a sliding scale. What they have is perfectly fine, but everyone else is of a lesser stature.

If you make the argument that the car should just die because it is not true to its heritage, then that is a more valid argument.

Mercer (car) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a public Viper form I think where all encouraged to have an opinion on the new Viper. We have all been Dodge Customers in one way or another.

As said before the rawness of the Viper is part of the allure part of the attraction. It’s not demeaning anyone saying there bad drivers if they want nannies. Wanting the lack of nannies is encouraging people to be better drivers, to control more, to be more connected to there cars. If you could push a button and the computer would automatically take your car around a track as fast as possible would that be rewarding to the so called driver? No it wouldn’t. So why is taking part of the control away from the driver rewarding? You bought the car so you could drive it not for a computer to.

Keeping the rawness is going to keep the legend of the Viper alive. The Viper is more than just sales figures it’s an Icon.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats Me,lol, thanks for calling us out:)

I wouldnt necessarily say that. I drive my Viper Alot and come into contact with Alot of people that are interested in finding out what exactly this car is. I am a walking talking driving Viper commercial. Even when there is two guys; one very interested in the viper and the other a jelous ****** bag i insist that even the ********* has a seat in the Viper to make a believer out of him:)
When i am at the track running with cars twice to 4 times my pricetag they are intrigued by this 15yr old car that can keep up with them. Many of these are ballers that can actually afford a new viper. I am sure to inform them about the Gen4 ACR that is much faster than both my and their cars as well as the upcoming 2012 Viper.

It is funny how there is a sliding scale. What they have is perfectly fine, but everyone else is of a lesser stature.

This is why i like to ad "Personally" to the beginning or IMO to the end of may of the comments that i make on this forum. If more people would do it than there would be less wasteful debate over something that was simply someones Opinion mistaken for something else.:2tu:

I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Viper cease production as there are plenty of Vipers currently around for the people that they are desirable to. I just wish that more of these cars would switch hands form the collectors/garage queens to people who would appreciate them on the road and/or track.

Last edited:

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must say, having come from Porsches (not all that long though), that their owners are generally snobs and look down on cars like the Viper. Like it or not, the Viper lacks the sophistication of the world's top class cars. That's not to say the Viper is not up to the task, but looking ahead, must find a way to increase the base of customers. I too come from a career in Corporate Marketing and understand the need to make compromises in order to put out a successful (sales/profits) product.

When the Viper first came out I was, like many people, very interested but not in a position to afford one. I read all the magazines.

One day I was over at my father's place chatting about cars when his neighbor walked over. Nice lady, drove a Porsche everyday and raced on the weekends. She joined the conversation about the new Vipers and after I made some point she said, "Yes, but it will always be a Dodge."

So, that's the attitude that's out there. Add whatever you want to the 2012, some people won't be won over.

I have to admit, now that I can afford a Viper and have started to look for one, her statement all those years ago sticks with me. I'm not deterred :D

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Viper first came out I was, like many people, very interested but not in a position to afford one. I read all the magazines.

One day I was over at my father's place chatting about cars when his neighbor walked over. Nice lady, drove a Porsche everyday and raced on the weekends. She joined the conversation about the new Vipers and after I made some point she said, "Yes, but it will always be a Dodge."

So, that's the attitude that's out there. Add whatever you want to the 2012, some people won't be won over.

I have to admit, now that I can afford a Viper and have started to look for one, her statement all those years ago sticks with me. I'm not deterred :D

Classic answer from a Porsche snob. (her not you) :rolleyes: She may change her mind, at least a little, after driving one.

I think the one problem with the low sales may be the price. As much as I like the Vipers and as an owner, they are overpriced for what they are as a car. For a hundred grand, expectations are very high and they don't make the grade for a typical high dollar performance car buyer in a very competitive market. The perfomance is certainly not the issue but that's not enough; I find the car lacking in workmanship and quality in some areas that are not excusable in this price range regardless of its performance. Noise and heat control could be better (I know about the rawness appeal but not for this price). "It's still a Dodge" might hit the mark on this subject but there are some Dodges that are better pieces of work than the Viper in some areas. My 2010 Chrysler (not a Dodge but close enough) SRT8 is a good example and it was less than half the price. Do keep the luxury aspect out of it - the Viper should be a simple car - I love its reliability and we want to keep its lightness if not lighter. I could take the right 2010 Viper for the way it is (when I see one without excessive gaps) but I wouldn't pay more than $75K for a new one.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Classic answer from a Porsche snob. (her not you) :rolleyes: She may change her mind, at least a little, after driving one.

I think the one problem with the low sales may be the price. As much as I like the Vipers and as an owner, they are overpriced for what they are as a car. For a hundred grand, expectations are very high and they don't make the grade for a typical high dollar performance car buyer in a very competitive market. The perfomance is certainly not the issue but that's not enough; I find the car lacking in workmanship and quality in some areas that are not excusable in this price range regardless of its performance. Noise and heat control could be better (I know about the rawness appeal but not for this price). "It's still a Dodge" might hit the mark on this subject but there are some Dodges that are better pieces of work than the Viper in some areas. My 2010 Chrysler (not a Dodge but close enough) SRT8 is a good example and it was less than half the price. Do keep the luxury aspect out of it - the Viper should be a simple car - I love its reliability and we want to keep its lightness if not lighter. I could take the right 2010 Viper for the way it is (when I see one without excessive gaps) but I wouldn't pay more than $75K for a new one.

Well said Sir:clap2:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a dodge...this too funny. ive been around the world in the military and i assure you that in other countries every taxi driver is driving a mercedes. over their an ameerican dodge is a big deal.

viper gt and zr1 all represent the creme of the crop of american exotics.

with the porshe owner...ive seen many porshe and nsx ect. owners say similar things about the viper. honestly it is 90% of the time just ignorance.

they saw a vid of 94 rt10 that didnt handle and brake as well as the other cars in the test or low and behold the gts video were its racing the ferrari and goes off the cliff and just asume thats what vipers are. kool looking and fast only in a straight line.

i love the gen 1s and gen2s. but they were intended for 1/4 mile more than tracks and still happenned to do quite well on the tracks.

in 2003 that all changed completely. the srt10 has world class brakeing and back in 03 it wooped the lambo and porshe tt in a straight line as well as the track. that tradition has continued with gen4s

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a dodge...this too funny. ive been around the world in the military and i assure you that in other countries every taxi driver is driving a mercedes. over their an ameerican dodge is a big deal.

viper gt and zr1 all represent the creme of the crop of american exotics.

with the porshe owner...ive seen many porshe and nsx ect. owners say similar things about the viper. honestly it is 90% of the time just ignorance.

they saw a vid of 94 rt10 that didnt handle and brake as well as the other cars in the test or low and behold the gts video were its racing the ferrari and goes off the cliff and just asume thats what vipers are. kool looking and fast only in a straight line.

i love the gen 1s and gen2s. but they were intended for 1/4 mile more than tracks and still happenned to do quite well on the tracks.

in 2003 that all changed completely. the srt10 has world class brakeing and back in 03 it wooped the lambo and porshe tt in a straight line as well as the track. that tradition has continued with gen4s

The GEN I and GEN II dominated the track back in the day just as well as the SRT-10 dominates the track now. They are not just intended for 1/4 mile tracks they excel on the roadcourse as well.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viper gt and zr1 all represent the creme of the crop of american exotics......

yup :drive:

i love the gen 1s and gen2s. but they were intended for 1/4 mile more than tracks .....

huh :dunno:

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently sold a 2009 Corvette ZR1 and a 2008 Viper Coupe and bought a 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S.I have had 3 Vipers and 5 Corvettes.Loved them all.But let me tell you,the Porsche 911 Turbo S is a far better,faster and nicer car.The PDK trans with the launch control gives very hard and perfect shifts everytime.The car pulls insane from the stop with launch control.Believe me,you will be over that shifting real quick if you drove one.I hope they put all the stuff the Porsches on the new Viper.I will by one for sure.No more shifting,missed gears and wheel hop for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets