I don't get it.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone with a gen 2 or gen 1 VIPER want to put srt something or other badges on it? The last VIPER was produed in 2002. What's next? Anyone up for sticking fiat badges on their car? GTS Bruce

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I don't agree that the last Viper produced was 2002 I do wonder why someone would want to put the newer badges on the older Viper.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone with a gen 2 or gen 1 VIPER want to put srt something or other badges on it?

Same reason why other people put a rear wing on a street only driven car. Viper or Hyundai. It serves no purpose other than to satisfy their own concept of what makes their car look good to them.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An interesting question from someone who has a signature line that says.....

"2001 Saphire Bllue GTS.Mods?of course!"

:lmao:good point Lee. I agree that changing the badging on an older car to the newer badges looks dumb but I also think removing the bades is dumb but some people really seem to like that. Bottom line is when you buy any car its yours to do what you want with.

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why would anyone with a gen 2 or gen 1 VIPER want to put srt something or other badges on it? The last VIPER was produed in 2002. What's next? Anyone up for sticking fiat badges on their car? GTS Bruce[/QUOTE

If this is what you worry about,you have some serious issues.I'm guessing
your a fun one to hang with,ease up a bit and let people do as they please.It will all be ok :D

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each, his own.

:usa:

On a different subject, I hate the fact that you can't enlarge the avatars anymore. Case in point.....yours Rob. Back to the regular thread...........something about badges or something silly.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>> Bottom line is when you buy any car its yours to do what you want with.<<<

Yes. Even crash it. :crazy2:

I have seen people buying a mint Viper and the first thing they did was a complete paint job - what a waste!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its like buying a nice ,shiny new viper and taking it to a race track. id never wanna beat the car up or risk crashing it like that

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reason I started that thread is for a few reasons. I personally prefer the newer logo over the old because:

1.) It's symmetrical.
2.) It doesn't look dated.
3.) It'd be something different to do since I'm virtually done with mods.

I'm a designer and I do branding for a living. People update their brands and logos all the time, and when they do the new mark is thrown on EVERYTHING, including web sites, business cards, stationary, trade materials, etc. I do, however, realize that a car isn't the same animal as a corporate identity.

The styling of the Gen. II is timeless but the logo isn't...period. I was playing with the idea of updating the badging. I thought a new twist on an old design would be worth entertaining; I had no idea so many people would be up in arms over something so trivial. Fortunately for the Logo Nazis residing here I didn't get enough dough from Santa to facilitate ******* you all off.

I guess I'll just have to Maaco the sumbitch pink then...:D

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its like buying a nice ,shiny new viper and taking it to a race track. id never wanna beat the car up or risk crashing it like that

I am glad guys like you save and polish up these cars to save them...so when I wear mine out...I can buy yours and start doing it all over again. If fact, I love buying someones prestine car they have spent years caring for and driving away doing a smoking burnout...I'm kinda sick that way.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a designer and I do branding for a living. People update their brands and logos all the time, and when they do the new mark is thrown on EVERYTHING, including web sites, business cards, stationary, trade materials, etc. I do, however, realize that a car isn't the same animal as a corporate identity.

I'm a Texas rebel and I irritate people for a living. When I get a new box of cereal with the new logo on it I throw the old box away. It carries no value whatsoever. If you send me new printed marketing material for something I likely don't remember what the old logo was because I've already discarded of your marketing material. The previous one.

Comparing corporate advertising and logos on store coupons, ****** cartons, and NASA white papers to the badge on a relatively exclusive sports car only works if that car has been primered, winged, and had hydraulics added for twisting that ***** through the hood on Tuesday night. And I've yet to see a Viper like that.

So, in conclusion, paint your hood vents Maaco pink and I will love you. But change the badging on your car and Dave will secretly put big rig Dodge stickers on your sills for the ultimate in badging abortions.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad guys like you save and polish up these cars to save them...so when I wear mine out...I can buy yours and start doing it all over again. If fact, I love buying someones prestine car they have spent years caring for and driving away doing a smoking burnout...I'm kinda sick that way.

And we love how when you wear them cars out that ours click up in value one more notch as you get you wallet out.

One less car, one more click...up...I'm kinda smart that way.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And we love how when you wear them cars out that ours click up in value one more notch as you get you wallet out.

One less car, one more click...up...I'm kinda smart that way.

Nice in thought...we can see how that has worked on values so far. Depreciation is my friend!

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So you're saying that logos are irrelevant to you and have no resonance or staying power (or is it just print media)? In the cereal box analogy you're saying the logo is irrelevant because the contents of the box are the same (?), and with any printed marketing material you just throw it away anyway, so you never even see the logo let alone give it any equity. Is that true or did I misinterpret?

I was comparing brands across various global platforms, whether it's a car, web site, building, etc.. I knew there would be a few haters to the idea, but I had no idea that the badging and logo on a car hit such a nerve with people. This is the first time I've encountered it and I'm trying to find out why that is...partially out of personal curiosity, partially out of professional curiosity. Thus far the only reasons I've gotten are "just cuz" with no data or historical information to back the opinion. There are elemental rules and guidelines to designing and applying logos that are universally accepted, and I'm looking for the car version of that so I can learn. That's all I'm looking for.

Personally, I'd be 100% against the idea if it was anything but this. If I made my own "custom" Viper badging, that would be a no-no. If I wanted to change it to another Dodge-branded vehicle, that would be a no-no. If I wanted to change it to a completely different car or an upgraded version of my car (like an ACR) that would be a no-no. Shaving the badges doesn't look good to me, but I don't think it's blasphemy. Going from red to chrome badges on my RT wasn't alarming. Applying updated, Chrysler-sanctioned marks to their flagship car doesn't ruffle my feathers like the other scenarios do.

Tampons come in cartons? I'm a pad man, myself.

I'm a Texas rebel and I irritate people for a living. When I get a new box of cereal with the new logo on it I throw the old box away. It carries no value whatsoever. If you send me new printed marketing material for something I likely don't remember what the old logo was because I've already discarded of your marketing material. The previous one.

Comparing corporate advertising and logos on store coupons, ****** cartons, and NASA white papers to the badge on a relatively exclusive sports car only works if that car has been primered, winged, and had hydraulics added for twisting that ***** through the hood on Tuesday night. And I've yet to see a Viper like that.

So, in conclusion, paint your hood vents Maaco pink and I will love you. But change the badging on your car and Dave will secretly put big rig Dodge stickers on your sills for the ultimate in badging abortions.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thus far the only reasons I've gotten are "just cuz" with no data or historical information to back the opinion. There are elemental rules and guidelines to designing and applying logos that are universally accepted, and I'm looking for the car version of that so I can learn. That's all I'm looking for.

I think your quest for reason here is still struggling with the fact that in the car guy world - what this web site is - there is no historical information, data, elemental rules, or guidelines. That is a science used by corporations to do business in advertising and marketing, but not a science used by car guys.

"Just cuz" is a perfectly legitimate stance to have when it comes to how we feel about your car. Or your own car for that fact. And like I said in that other thread, it backs itself up because it's your word and therefore it's word. Your position is you are trying to establish a scientific basis for the emotion that is my word. Whether you agree with my word or not.

But it don't work that way, this scientific basis. We say we don't like it, we mean it, we don't need to nor do we have data to support that opinion. In your corporate marketing world your clients use and have data and you better to.

Car guys use the gut feel/emotion-------->>>opinion delivered method.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the badging from the RT or GTS logo to the SRT logo is just like changing it to a ram logo. It may be the logo for a Dodge vehicle just not the right one. Now saying that, the first upgrade I did to my 08 3500 Mega Cab was to remove the tiny 08 ram badging and put the new 09 larger shields on in thier place. For whatever reason I see that as a different situation though. Its more like puting a gen 4 hood on a gen 3.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sneaky Pete logo was so iconic that it was changed? Freaking metal bands that cut all their hair off just because, oh wait there is a reason for it.

Why would anyone buy a viper built with no stripes then add them. Hell why would anyone put a power adder on a car that was "perfect" as built, headers, blasphemy. I mean Jesus I took my perfectly outdated wheels and changed them to 19/20s then added a huge stereo system, that's like a teats on a boar hog.

My grandfather always said, Opinions are like arseholes everyone has them and they all stink. He also said if you continue to stir the *** it will always stink, good job.

Dave, when I feel that I need to irritate people, other than my wife, I go to the grocery store and check all the produce scales for accuracy :)

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Changing the badging from the RT or GTS logo to the SRT logo is just like changing it to a ram logo. It may be the logo for a Dodge vehicle just not the right one. Now saying that, the first upgrade I did to my 08 3500 Mega Cab was to remove the tiny 08 ram badging and put the new 09 larger shields on in thier place. For whatever reason I see that as a different situation though. Its more like puting a gen 4 hood on a gen 3.

Swapping Viper for Viper and Ram for Ram...seems the same to me. Swapping a Viper logo for a Ram logo isn't the same as swapping a Viper logo for a Viper logo.

However, I can see some validity in that. If someone threw the '09 Ram logo on a 1988 Ram, I'd think it was stupid; it wouldn't "go". The style of the logo and the style of the truck would be completely different and it would look out of place to me. However, in my opinion, the new logo's style would suit the Gen. II as well or better than the current one. I think most people are just habitually arguing their point because they're SO used to seeing Pete there, anything else would just be out of place.

I was trying to find out why everyone thinks it's blasphemy. People are VERY opinionated and I'm new to the nice/fast car world, so I didn't know if there was something said at one point that everyone designated gospel, or if the general car population just decided at some point it was Bad News Bears for their own individual reasons. If there was some rule that I hadn't heard of or some reasoning I hadn't been graced with, I wanted to hear it because it may change my mind.

BUT alas, everyone just has opinions with no rhyme or reason and I'll take them for what their worth, as has anyone else who has tastefully (or distastefully) modified their car. It appears as though I was in search of something that doesn't exist.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sneaky Pete logo was so iconic that it was changed?

I guess that applies to the whole car then, as the logo changed with the generation of car change.

Thanks Chris, my Gen 2 is now crap.

Oh wait, you have one too. Your sweet ass iconic car is now crap.

Why would anyone buy a viper built with no stripes then add them. Hell why would anyone put a power adder on a car that was "perfect" as built, headers, blasphemy. I mean Jesus I took my perfectly outdated wheels and changed them to 19/20s then added a huge stereo system, that's like a teats on a boar hog.

I've said this before, but for the new to this subject crowd, wheels, stripes, stereos etc are not a manufacturer's logo. Change at will and the icon or don't touch this or just cuz Gods don't apply. This is about the markings that the people that made the car decided to mark it with.

Dave, when I feel that I need to irritate people, other than my wife, I go to the grocery store and check all the produce scales for accuracy :)

With what, unweighed produce? :lmao:

Well said Dave.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang