I don't get it.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could be wrong but I thought the newer SRT raised Chrome letters are cheaper than the GTS / RT/10 ones and easier to get hold of? Maybe that's the reason?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to add my valuable opinion: Sneaky Pete is the logo for particular Dodge vehicles/models , Fangs is the logo for another Dodge vehicle/model, the Ram head is the logo for another set of Dodge vehicles. Either it makes sense that any one can be interchanged with the others or it doesn't. It doesn't matter what is under the hood. They represent what they represented by their original factory placement and advertisement.

Putting a badge made for another model on a car marks it as something it is not. If that is what a person wants to do with their own car, I don't care. We are cutting a fine line here. It gets more obvious when a person puts a Prancing Horse emblem on a Fiero conversion.

Personally, I don't see Sneaky Pete as being dated. That is a designer's concept, I think. We are taught to think older styles are outdated, based on the belief that newer is always better. If it gets old enough, we change our minds and say "hey" that did look good !

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the badging from the RT or GTS logo to the SRT logo is just like changing it to a ram logo. It may be the logo for a Dodge vehicle just not the right one. Now saying that, the first upgrade I did to my 08 3500 Mega Cab was to remove the tiny 08 ram badging and put the new 09 larger shields on in thier place. For whatever reason I see that as a different situation though. Its more like puting a gen 4 hood on a gen 3.

Is Jason wanting to put a gen 3 hood on his gen 2? I missed that. OMG, say it isn't so! I couldn't take it! Really! The blasphemy!

:omg:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before gen3 existed Sneaky Pete represented Viper. It was then and is now the icon of the first two generations of Viper. It was not thought of as dated or cartoonish by anyone. It was thought of as the emblem of the badest boy on the street or track, which could and did back up it's reputation at every turn. People have for decades "cleaned up" the lines of their cars by removing "badging" of all kinds. What wasn't seen, at least not that I can recall, was a "re-badging" of the car unless by a custom builder. That was to identify that builder and hopefully increase his reputation. I'm sure somewhere along the line, people have "upgraded" emblems on corvettes and such, but usually the cars have been "stylized" or customized. In the final anallysis, it's a free country, at least for the time being, and people can do anything they want to to their own car. A lot of Viper people are probably "purists" to one degree or another, and would find changing the classic Viper identification repugnant. Remove badges, yes, change the I.D., no.:nono: Might as well put lambo doors on it.:lmao: But, it's your car; You can stapel gun **** tails on the body if you want. Have a nice day.:)

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess that applies to the whole car then, as the logo changed with the generation of car change.

Thanks Chris, my Gen 2 is now crap.

Oh wait, you have one too. Your sweet ass iconic car is now crap.

With what, unweighed produce? :lmao:

Well said Dave.

Actually the reason this discussion probably came about is my fault so blame me. I was discussing the sneaky pete logo with Jason last week and talking about how it needs a makeover.

My car turned to crap on 11-20 when another viper owner decided to swerve into my lane and hit me, cracking my rear quarter panel. My car has sat in the garage since then ashamed to show its badge of courage. Said owner was kind enough to deny hitting me and tell his insurance that it wasn't his fault. Now my car sits in the garage until the local shop can repair it. That is another story that will require marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate a warm fire and therapist to recover from. I have a set of scale calibration weights that I carry around with me, don't ask where they came from.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car turned to crap on 11-20 when another viper owner decided to swerve into my lane and hit me, cracking my rear quarter panel. My car has sat in the garage since then ashamed to show its badge of courage. Said owner was kind enough to deny hitting me and tell his insurance that it wasn't his fault. Now my car sits in the garage until the local shop can repair it.

damn, dude. that *****.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to add my valuable opinion: Sneaky Pete is the logo for particular Dodge vehicles/models , Fangs is the logo for another Dodge vehicle/model, the Ram head is the logo for another set of Dodge vehicles. Either it makes sense that any one can be interchanged with the others or it doesn't. It doesn't matter what is under the hood. They represent what they represented by their original factory placement and advertisement.

Putting a badge made for another model on a car marks it as something it is not. If that is what a person wants to do with their own car, I don't care. We are cutting a fine line here. It gets more obvious when a person puts a Prancing Horse emblem on a Fiero conversion.

Personally, I don't see Sneaky Pete as being dated. That is a designer's concept, I think. We are taught to think older styles are outdated, based on the belief that newer is always better. If it gets old enough, we change our minds and say "hey" that did look good !
+1
On the :money:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car turned to crap on 11-20 when another viper owner decided to swerve into my lane and hit me, cracking my rear quarter panel. My car has sat in the garage since then ashamed to show its badge of courage. Said owner was kind enough to deny hitting me and tell his insurance that it wasn't his fault. Now my car sits in the garage until the local shop can repair it. That is another story that will require marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate a warm fire and therapist to recover from. I have a set of scale calibration weights that I carry around with me, don't ask where they came from.

Sorry about your car man. You would think that a fellow Viper owner would be a stand up guy when the call comes. You know, the brotherhood of car guys kind of ship.

Guess you just learned a little bit more about who your friends are.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I STILL seem to be the only guy that agrees with him on Pete looking clownish. When I look at a GTS I first see the curves/lines. Then the color/stripes. As I am checking out the car my eye moves over to the front badge and I cringe every time. Have always been that way. Such a bad-ass car and then to slap a cartoon on the front never made sense to me. SO... when I got my first Viper I changed the car to suit ME. I am the only one that goes into the garage and sees it everyday.

Didn't buy it to keep it stock for the next guy. Didn't buy it to impress anyone.
Bought it for ME.

That said, I didn't have the stones to put Fang on it even though I really like Fang. Think he portrays the image of the car better. So, I left the badging off of the car entirely. Since the car is black, it works. No badges or writing to distract from the lines. I also love it when people circle the car looking for some hint as to what it is.

Badging isn't a permanent change (like painting a 97 GTS black) so it can always be changed back. Viper people are the only ones that would notice anyway.

Ron

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparing corporate advertising and logos on store coupons, ****** cartons, and NASA white papers to the badge on a relatively exclusive sports car only works if that car has been primered, winged, and had hydraulics added for twisting that ***** through the hood on Tuesday night.

Guess you're right Dave. I gave it a shot.... didn't work. I does seem more symmetric though....:D

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 18

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I STILL seem to be the only guy that agrees with him on Pete looking clownish.

I love the clownish Pete. They could have used Bozo for the logo and it wouldn't have bothered me one single bit. I don't need some pretentious badass-pretending game-face logo to mark my Viper, it's got a huge cubic inch V10 and big fat tires.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well if you re trying to get away from the cartoonish emblem definitely put the Fangs emblem on it, Then one day someone at a car show will walk up and turn the emblem up side down and OMG another Cartoon character (Really happened) Isn t it great to have a car so bad ass one can laugh at something as trivial as an emblem, Seems some owners should just relax a little.....

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well said. Just the point I was trying to make. Thank You.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I STILL seem to be the only guy that agrees with him on Pete looking clownish. When I look at a GTS I first see the curves/lines. Then the color/stripes. As I am checking out the car my eye moves over to the front badge and I cringe every time. Have always been that way. Such a bad-ass car and then to slap a cartoon on the front never made sense to me. SO... when I got my first Viper I changed the car to suit ME. I am the only one that goes into the garage and sees it everyday.

Didn't buy it to keep it stock for the next guy. Didn't buy it to impress anyone.
Bought it for ME.

That said, I didn't have the stones to put Fang on it even though I really like Fang. Think he portrays the image of the car better. So, I left the badging off of the car entirely. Since the car is black, it works. No badges or writing to distract from the lines. I also love it when people circle the car looking for some hint as to what it is.

Badging isn't a permanent change (like painting a 97 GTS black) so it can always be changed back. Viper people are the only ones that would notice anyway.

Ron

The thought that sneaky Pete was clownish has occurred to me in the past but I prefer to look at it as laughing at the other cars. It says "I don't need to impress you with a badge.... I got POWER!". The name "sneaky" Pete is so accurate because the smooth lines and soft look of the car doesn't scream terror on the road but the engine does. its a sly smirk to the driver next to you looking over as your engine rumbles, or to the guy you just came up on from behind and then again as you pass, or to the car owner next to you at a car show that sits alone while everyone gathers around the Viper, most appropriately to the corvette or porsche or ferrari that pulls up wanting to race.

You have to consider the other cars that where on the road when the gen 1 and 2 were first prowling the streets. The majority of the cars had hard lines and quieter engines, electronic controls were taking over in new models, gas mileage was a bigger concern, and well lets face it, the cars were ugly! Then here comes the new bad asp with a soft, beautiful styling unlike anything else, no electronic gadgets, a huge, loud, gas loving V10, and more power and control than had ever been seen. And best yet it was a competition crushing, AMERICAN MADE BEAST for less than the admired long standing race champ high dollar euro dream cars. Whats not to smirk about! So I think the sneaky Pete logo is perfectly suited for the gen 1 and 2 Viper.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my 'Sneaky Pete' But would like to change my 'Fast Red' raised lettering to Chrome on the hood sides and rear fender, but those emblems are rather expensive :( Got other mods to save up for first :)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow. Guessing that the conversation is not about SRT 10 emblems?

I admit to liking the symettry of the fangs emblem. Jason has good taste, look at the car he bought!

Now if someone put a set of vette flags on their Viper I'm sure everyone would scream blasphemer!

I used the same Dodge (pickup) decals as Dave in several of my street racing Dodges 'back in the day'. I've always done all of my own paint jobs.

First paintjob ever ... Base silver with Blue Candy Abstract flames, hemi and custom scoops with Pearle Red/Clear coat.
You must be registered for see images

Here's a 3200# '72 440 Charger I built. Entire driver's side crumpled in after GM ran a stop sign and hit me. Insurance paid me $400. Tha included the paint (2 colors), all supplies and new fender. Dodge decals at rear of quarter panel incorporated into stripes can't be seen because the pic is too old and grainy.

You must be registered for see images

Cartoon? As in Road Runner, Demon, Duster, etc. - the emblems that scared off all the GM boys fro so many years? Like Sassafras Green, SSG, Panther Pink, Green Go, Minivans, etc. Dodge made a lot of innovations that set the standard for all others. Too bad for them that the others never learned and are still chasing Dodge's ACR, Challenger and 300Cs. I wonder if Fiat will manage to slow Dodge down and turn it into a "famous for nothing company"- like Honda.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Black Snake 99 - gotta admit the Blue looks good against the Black. Suggest a different logo, unless you're a girl

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth