I don't wanna burn my GTS to the ground !!

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don\'t wanna burn my GTS to the ground !!

I thought that might get your attention..........

Anyway, I'm going to be sending a pair of 2000 headers off to JetHot for coating, and I DON'T want to use heatshields when I put'em on my '96 GTS.
I really like the look of the 1300 degree coating, but wouldn't the 2000 degree coating be a better choice for no heatshields ?? Like I said before, "I don't wanna burn my GTS to the ground !!" and I've heard some horror stories from people not using heatshields.
What coatings do you have, and are you using heatshields ?? Any problems so far ?? I also heard that the 2000 coating isn't very pretty either...

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I don\'t wanna burn my GTS to the ground !!

LOL.............
Blue ?? They have colors ??

I don't want the car to look ghetto.

How about purple with little flashing lights ??

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes...Jet Hot has blue that looks similiar to your Blue (minus the bug juices and water spots)...or just get the black...but 2000 deg for sure...I think they have grey too.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
similiar to your Blue (minus the bug juices and water spots)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's funny...
laughing2[1].gif

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now, Somebody that actually drives their Viper might have even better advice on this subject.

Anyone...........

jamie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Now, Somebody that actually drives their Viper might have even better advice on this subject.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rofl.gif

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My understanding of the JetHot coating and temperature - say 1300 degree vs. 2000 degree - is the temperature rating is the design temperature for the coating.

It has nothing to do with the amount of heat Header A with the 1300 degree coating will emit under the hood vs Header B with the 2000 degree coating. They will both emit the same amount of heat.

The only difference is that Header B can hold-up to higher operating temps - say a turbocharged application.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have heard of the fire hazard. Is the problem with the break master cylinder? Would it make sense to build a different heat shield to protect the master cylinder and or any other component that needs to be protected?
Dan

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fast Viper Dan:
I have heard of the fire hazard. Is the problem with the break master cylinder? Would it make sense to build a different heat shield to protect the master cylinder and or any other component that needs to be protected?
Dan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the power steering caps that are comming off. Power steering fluid spills out onto the headers and the result is a fire. Make sure they're tight.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, the plastic RESERVOIR for the power steering fluid has melted allowing all the fluid contained within to contact the headers and start the big fire. Caps can come off with normal expansion and contraction on any car which is why it is wise to check those often.

Do yourself a favor and use the heat sheilds.... Or figure out a way to cool the engine compartment better - like louvering the hood.....

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I applied thermotec heat shielding to parts,lines etc facing the headers(no shields)Markedly lowers the temp of these items.Doesn't always stick too well but a dab of 3M super weatherstrip adhesive makes it all alright. Bruce