I hate to keep repeating myself BUT........

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I've just come back from the Toronto International Auto Show and once again I'm reminded how D/C missed the boat on colour choice for the SRT!!
This year's "must-be" colour was/is graphite!! AND does it ever make EVERY car it's on look FABULOUS!!!
(At least...The SRT is much better displayed (inToronto) than it was in Detroit......it's roped -off ....under a nice poster display.)
BUT I think the VCA's influencing of the colour choices (with OUR constant demand for BLACK) did the whole VIPER NATION
(present and future) a disservice!!
THIS VIPER would have been ABSOLUTELY SMASHING in GRAPHITE!!
I sure hope the powers that be give us the GRAPHITE option in 2004!!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they show a graphite? The ones we saw in Detroit were very disappointing. As a rule, I love the different gray tones, but on this particular car it just didn't seem to fit?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, Richard; ASC, the place that paints the Viper body panels, has three machines set to do the Viper painting. Since the Viper program is so tight on the budget lines, they have avoided offering more than three options, since it would cost more, and that would effect the overall pricing of Viper. I was told that it is very costly to do a color change over. This is the reason that only three color's make it into each year's production.

As for my color choice, get in line. I have been asking for a color for 10 years now, and they have still not produced it.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from the Toronto autoshow as well, I think the Graphite Viper that Vipernut is referring to is a 2002 RT/10 that was parked beside an orange Dodge Challenger.

I am going to post pics and my thoughts in a different post.

Craig

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipernut & Richard, we can argue colors forever. I saw the 02s' in Graphite and I didn't like them. That's my opinion.
smile.gif
Personally,I'm glad they went to Black and that's what I ordered.
I hope you guys get another chance for Graphite in the future.
Richard, if you read Daniel Carneys new Dodge Viper book you'll see quotes in there by John Fernandez such as "the refinement and attention to detail" and "The fit and finish of the body panels".
(page 161). The prototypes you see "have all the pieces and designs, but they are not necessarily off production tools yet"
Again his quote. Based on what is written,attention to detail is one of their main goals. Just like it should be.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

I would like to add that this is going to be a very long year of waiting unless we start getting some real info and color pictures from Dodge!

It seems to me that with cert ordering deadline drawing near, no MSRP, and no real photos yet of Black or Silver, it wouldn't surprise me that alot of folks have not placed their orders yet. I did, and opted for Silver, based on ONE decent "illicit" photo that was removed by the moderators. It seems high time that we should be provided with these colors officially released by the powers that be! What do you think? They have been listening to us, we should let them know that these photo's would really help settle alot of unsure prospective buyers.

I am really looking forward to this new Viper and the improvement that it promises.

Let's see some good "official" pics!

Jim

OP
OP
vipernut

vipernut

Venom Member
Reaction score
First of all.....I never said I saw the SRT in graphite...... and I did not!! It was there (at the Toronto Show) in the usual red colour.....CRAIG..I know the difference between an RT10 and the SRT (although the badging on the SRT is RT10)?? !!
ANYHOO-what I said is THAT the car WOULD look fabulous in the graphite because (I believe) that's the colour that shows off (what you want to see) and hides (what you don't want to see )BEST in this car!! IT is such an elegant colour.....
Most of the manufacturers (at the show) showcased their 2003s in IT!! EVEN the new FORD THUNDERBIRD had a special edition in this colour and it was (by far) the nicest of the bunch!!
After seeing the SRT in only red BUT having seen the prototype pix of it in the deep grey.....AND seeing that I've NEVER seen a car that wasn't GORGEOUS in this colour (even if I didn't like the car) I think D/C missed the mark!! But guys....it's only my opinion!!
My aim here isn't to get everybody up in arms about whose opinion matters more...my aim is to get the folks at D/C to see how many others SHARE my opinion so that they make the colour available as soon as possible!! After all....originally it was one of the colour options!!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vipernut:
First of all.....I never said I saw the SRT in graphite...... and I did not!! It was there (at the Toronto Show) in the usual red colour.....CRAIG..I know the difference between an RT10 and the SRT (although the badging on the SRT is RT10)?? !!
ANYHOO-what I said is THAT the car WOULD look fabulous in the graphite because (I believe) that's the colour that shows off (what you want to see) and hides (what you don't want to see )BEST in this car!! IT is such an elegant colour.....
Most of the manufacturers (at the show) showcased their 2003s in IT!! EVEN the new FORD THUNDERBIRD had a special edition in this colour and it was (by far) the nicest of the bunch!!
After seeing the SRT in only red BUT having seen the prototype pix of it in the deep grey.....AND seeing that I've NEVER seen a car that wasn't GORGEOUS in this colour (even if I didn't like the car) I think D/C missed the mark!! But guys....it's only my opinion!!
My aim here isn't to get everybody up in arms about whose opinion matters more...my aim is to get the folks at D/C to see how many others SHARE my opinion so that they make the colour available as soon as possible!! After all....originally it was one of the colour options!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't even implying that you saw a graphite SRT-10, just that you were comparing it to the ONLY other car there in that colour. Was I wrong to say that you compared it to a graphite RT/10?

just trying to clear up what I said.

Craig

OP
OP
vipernut

vipernut

Venom Member
Reaction score
Craig.....thanks for clearing up what you meant....to be honest my favourite RT10 colours are the red and the blue with white stripes!! The graphite RT10 looks fine BUT my point is (much as you pointed out) the two cars (pre-2003 and post-2003) are SO different you have to look at them for what they are....I happen to LOVE the RT10s and GTSs in ANY COLOUR!! (For me) it's taking more work to LOVE the SRT and colour is making a HUGE difference!!
The cars that I saw (at the show) in deep grey/graphite that I enjoyed so much weren't vipers or necessarily even sports cars...
So did you watch THE SIMPSONS last night-eh??!!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I watched the simpsons, (I never miss it) big dissappointment, they showed Toronto for like 4 mins of the show. Big hype, little on delivery (shouldn't have said that when talking about the SRT on here;)) I think I'll write global to complain.

my fave car of the show had to be the SRT, i went there to see it solely, and do agree that it does take some work to like, but after I looked at it for awhile and I am a sure fan of the car now. I can't wait to drive one.

My dad ran into a couple guys from the club there.

Are they reading this??????
Craig

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard you are getting way to into this. There will be three colors, and nothing that we say or do is going to change that. If you have a solution to all their problems, send it to them. I have no manufacturing background, and have no desire to get into this topic any further.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for tweaking what discussed may not even be noticeable to some of you? The first noticeable difference is the change in the trunk pan, for the battery, and the diffusers attached to it (this was not on last years show car). The next obvious change to date has been the black plates that go over the exhaust tips. Any other changes are going to be subtle and fall along those lines. Will it change the look? To some it will and to others it won't.

Someone asked about future color's? We will not get word on future colors until they have been verified. You can expect that announcement around April 2003.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know? I do know that if they where on my RT/10 that they wouldn't make a difference, at least if you use the t-bolts to tie them down.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, it is nice to hear what the types of changes that will take place are. I for one would like to be have had the advantage to see more of the car before putting money down on it. Things like seeing the interior without the top and windows on, seeing the engine compartment, looking inside the trunk, etc. You have had these advantages when forming your opinion. For the mere mortals here we have at best been able to see the car at an auto show, with it locked up tight as a drum and absolutely no literature available.

I guess what I am asking for is some real information, brochures, pictures, etc. for those that have put real money down on the car. This is the first time I have ever put money down on a car without having the opportunity to see it inside and out first. And then to be told more information will become available in six months or so is just not acceptable.

It is crazy for someone to think that we must select a color without having the opportunity to even see it, or view official pictures of it first, is ludicrous.

Ron

RS27J9A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
see new post.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by RS27J9A on 02-20-2002 at 09:01 PM</font>

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess to ease your pain Ron I will post this: I ordered my first Viper on December 22, 1988. That was two weeks before Dodge showed it at the Detroit show. I had heard that there was talk of the car, and I saw a clay model of one, and I just had to have it. That said, everyone has much more to go on today then they did back then. Now as for what I have seen, at this point that could still change? No one has confirmed that "this is what you are getting". Until that times comes we all have to wait.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery