I just bought my first Viper today!

rjspen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a car guy for almost all of my 38 years.I have had a 65 GTO convertible,a 69 Judge,a 66 vette roadster,a 68 Hemi Roadrunner,and several sixpack Mopars,but I have never felt better about owning a car in my life than today and the 93 viper I bought.I keep going in the garage to look at it like I was a kid in high school.
I bought the book "viper buyer's guide",and it was great,I felt like almost an expert after reading it.What I've got is a black 93 with 13k miles and I paid 33k for it.I know it is just an entry level car,but it will work for now.It is bone stock and very nice.I put about 200 miles on today and it is an absolute blast.
Are there any do's and don'ts that I need to know about?
Thanks,Rich

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well first of all you DID NOT buy an "entry level" car. You bought a Viper which is a highly sought after peice of machinery. You will get more looks, thumbs up, smiles, gaulkers, etc, etc, than you can possibly imagine. I absolutely love to drive mine, not only for the snap your neck torque but just to see the looks in peoples eyes, it is amazing the response that Vipers get. So go and enjoy the hell out of your new found love and let the mods begin! :D Oh yeah.........welcome.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome.....enjoy your Viper to the fullest. Take the windows out, top off and enjoy the driving experience. Be preparded to enjoy a whole lot of attention.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it still has the original tires dump them. They weren't very safe in 93 and they aren't going to be any better with 11 years of aging on them.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you know it you will be trading your Viper in on the King Viper a GTS!!!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it still has the original tires dump them. They weren't very safe in 93 and they aren't going to be any better with 11 years of aging on them.

Welcome, and to re-re-iterate... what chuck said.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome...I bought a 94 back in June and I don't want to drive anything else. I have quite a few old muscle mustangs and am in the process of selling all of them because I don't drive them any more :)

OP
OP
R

rjspen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tires on it are Michelin XGTZ.What should I replace them with,and where is the best place to get them?
Thanks,Rich

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most go with Michelin Pilot Sports (about $1300 set/4 thru TireRack.com). Others are making Kuhmo tires their choice, at about $850 (set/4). I have heard that Discount Tire will come close to TireRack pricing if you as them to match the price.

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
oh yeah, ....

WELCOME to the World of Lots of Attention!!! Enjoy your RT. Nothing like it!! :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tires on it are Michelin XGTZ.What should I replace them with,and where is the best place to get them?
Thanks,Rich

XGTZ are the originals in 93. Get the new Michelins for decent wear or Kuhmos for decent traction. Both are good street tires.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be wary of the Dunlop Sport 8000s. My rears only lasted 7,000 miles and didn't give the greatest traction. They are mid priced ($1000 for 4), but the extra $300 for the Pilots is WELL worth it.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations!
Luckily you live in a area where you have one of the best clubs, The Dallas Region! Get involved with the club, you'll learn a whole lot more about your Viper.
And yes, get rid of (ASAP) those old tires, go with Michelin Pilots, car will ride totally differently too!

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich: To quote you're statement:

"I've got is a black 93 with 13k miles and I paid 33k for it.I know it is just an entry level car,but it will work for now.It is bone stock and very nice."

Don't forget you have almost a NEW car that just happened to be built a decade ago, and that almost everyone else who see's it would give an arm for it. It may be entry level to some guys on this forum, but to the motoring world in general - it's a convertible, big cubic inch, monster. Proudly cruise your AMERICAN MUSCLE everywhere you go together. You have a world class sports car, and helpful VCA club and forum members to lend support/advice. ENJOY "THE RIDE"...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't know or are not real sure of the maintenance history (with low miles you need to be thinking calendarwise), change every fluid on it for a starting baseline.

Welcome to the VCA forum, and congrats on the the GEN1!

"Join the VCA it's only 27 CENTS a day!"

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your new snake. I get over to DFW about 4 times a month. Let me know if you want to get together and do a little track time.

Doc

OP
OP
R

rjspen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome.I could not be more pleased with the car.By "entry level",I mean it was cheapest one I could find with low miles and all the original stuff.It worked out perfect for me since I like the RT/10's,the side pipes,and don't care about a.c.,yet.
Does anyone make a top that has more head room?I am not a giant at 6'1",but I felt a little like Herman Munster with the soft top on.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy a seat lowering kit. There are 2 models. A) Lower your seat 1 inch and be able to move it back and forward. B) Lower it 2 inches and the seat is stationary.

Hard Tops are available from Vipermania.

Congrats on the car.

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's great to see others like myself who have just bought their first Viper and love it! I looked for a long time before I found my black 95 RT/10up in Vermont this past July. I flew up and back in one day from Florida to look at it and fell in love. I bought it and absolutely love driving it.
I'm 5'11" and bought a factory double bubble hardtop on E-bay. It gives you about 2"-3" of extra head room.
Welcome and enjoy!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960