I just completed my last transaction with Jon B

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill try and make this as simple to understand as possible. When conducting business at the retail level, arrogance and non-business like attitudes should never take place when dealing with a customer or potential constomer for any reason. I will never do future business with these individuals, they are a discredit to the rest of the hard working individuals and especially the Viper community.

On to the point,
I emailed Jon B and asked him if he carried the newer, smaller alarm remote for my 98 Viper. He said yes, It would be $44.00. I replied the next day and asked that he would give me a call to complete the transaction. He replied that he didnt know what I was talking about b/c he recieves over 100 emails per day and to be more specific, which is understandable. He then sends me an email showing my order and credit card info. Both of these pieces of info had changed since I moved so I told him that I had new info for him and not to use his info from the email. I asked him to contact me b/c our business hours differ and I can never get to him before his work day ends. So a few days passes, I havent heard a thing so I sent him and email again requesting that he call me to complete the transaction. He emails me and says that he already processed the transaction to my old address and my old credit card which I dont use after I said not to do this. He then replys and says to either refuse the transaction or communicate with the people that live at my old address, ha... Finally, he sends another email saying that we have sent 10 emails concerning a $44.00 order and his average order is $847.00. He also Made a few words bold in the emails to simulate an attitude problem or a shouting voice towards the situation. I responded that this would be my last order and thanks for handling this in such an unprofessional way. I didnt know that he was such a big time business man... Did you guys know that when you do business with Jon b that he measures your worth by the amount of money that you give him?????

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, he can be "arrogant" to people on the phone sometimes. Not sure he even knows it. Lucky for me my purchase price for goods exceeded the average transaction. :) He is an asset to the Viper community (no doubt) but do I know where you are coming from. I have talked to others about this because I thought maybe I just caught him on a bad day, but I wasnt the only one that had a similar experience.

Not trying to fuel an anti-JB thread, just thought I would let you know that its happened before.

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called john the other day about some screws for the headlight and other misc. screws for my car and he told me he couldnt get them and referred me too another supplier to get them from. He worked with me and it was for maybe 10 dollars woth of parts. I have bought other mods from him before. I think he is a great guy to buy stuff from and wont hesitate to buy more from him. He can come across rude sometimes but i accept it because he is very busy most of the time and i understand because i was once in the retail buisness and things can get hectict.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. He tries to make you feel stupid when you dont order big $$$ from him.

You can usually just skip him and, if you know of the vendor, just order from them.

My girl was trying to order a birthday present for me. He told her that he has someone ordering 1,200 dollars of stuff on the other line and she needed to call back.

I tried to order headers from him and he based the selling price on how much business I had done with him in the past. That no fare to the newbies and it admits that he has REALLY OVERCHARGED you during your first couple of transactions.

SOLID! I called Levin and he put me on hold but he POLITELY asked me if he could do so and appologized after the fact. Its not that hard to be polite. Parts rack is pretty arrogant considering they dont even work on cars.

I dont need have my butt kissed but its really easy for people to get an attitude with me over the phone. It rarely happens in person.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My girl was trying to order a birthday present for me. He told her that he has someone ordering 1,200 dollars of stuff on the other line and she needed to call back.

I (and others) have gotten the exact same line. One can't ALWAYS be in that situation :rolleyes:

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He gave me the same BS when I was looking for EBC green pads. He was very rude as always and told me there are no bargain prices on such small items. A week later on this board he was advertising the pads for much less than normal. I have never called there one time and got off the phone and said what an *****. He seems to think he is the only one selling Viper parts and accessories. Thank God there are several others to buy from.

Ratech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a used hard top from him. He described it as "gorgeous". When I received it I noticed the weather stripping was missing. I called to discuss the problem and was told to use some foam tape if it leaked. Cost for new weather stripping $625.00. Chuck will get any future business

Mighty GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator, he can get you everything you need for your viper, and if he can't, he will tell you were and for the best price. Two dollars or two thousand dollars, Chuck's demeanor never changes.....As usual his advice is
priceless.... :cool:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience buying from JonB, but I have to wonder-

Is there another side to the story? Do people sometimes call a busy guy, and talk too much, letting their conversation meander all over the place, off topic, unsure of what they want to do? Maybe thinking JonB has time to play psychologist, interior decorator, hunt through loads of emails, and tell thier fortune, too, before the buyer has made up their mind to spring for the shift knob, decorative plaque, or cigarette lighter?

Has anyone here tried to run their own retail business, starting on a shoestring, has anyone tried to answer the phones themself, take orders, order parts from third tier suppliers, do the taxes, balance the checkbook, reconcile the bank statements, do the balance sheets, prepare the reviewed statements, keep tabs on the inventory, restock a plethora of returned parts from indecisive dreamers, keep the shop clean, and always have a bright smiley face on all the time? If so, I'd like to meet you, you must be a great person. Tell us how you do it all so well, and manage to always be a bright shining example of perfect demeanor.

On the other hand, maybe its just JonB. Maybe he has a curt attitude, I don't know. I'm just wondering about what goes on behind the scenes in the guys life.

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIC, I couldnt disagree with you more, if your logic was even close to being correct, then we would all be in for horrible experiences when buying the small things that we need so much of.
Look at Doug Levin, his work and reputation are flawless. I could call him and ask him about anything concerning the Viper and he would stop and offer whatever help is neeeded to a complete stranger. Hes much busier then Jon B's home business and still finds the time to answer the phone with the best attitude to date that Ive ever heard from almost anyone. He knows the secret to business, everyone needs to listen up, theres no need to deal with so called business men that are no cut out for the job. If you cant answer the phone then your probably not runnning your business correctly, so hire someone. If your to busy to check emails then hire someone. If you cant remember who and what you were talking about then take notes, organize yourself...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
VIC, I couldnt disagree with you more, if your logic was even close to being correct, then we would all be in for horrible experiences when buying the small things that we need so much of.
Look at Doug Levin, his work and reputation are flawless. I could call him and ask him about anything concerning the Viper and he would stop and offer whatever help is neeeded to a complete stranger. Hes much busier then Jon B's home business and still finds the time to answer the phone with the best attitude to date that Ive ever heard from almost anyone. He knows the secret to business, everyone needs to listen up, theres no need to deal with so called business men that are no cut out for the job. If you cant answer the phone then your probably not runnning your business correctly, so hire someone. If your to busy to check emails then hire someone. If you cant remember who and what you were talking about then take notes, organize yourself...

Fair enough, bro. I just like to point out that there might be another side that isn't obvious. Like I say, I have no personal experience buying from him, so I have the least perspective from which to speak. (sounds of Vic back-peddling furiously) :D

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually give people the benefit of the doubt but when the first word out of a guys mouth when you call is. "Look. I have someone on the other line ordering a COMPLETE exhaust system so could you call back.". . . next.

"Look, your gonna have to call back later" rings a way different tone then. "I appologize, but could you give me a call back in a few minutes. Im stuck on a call"

Try to email the guy about a price and he emails back "I dont have your name on record . . . Please identify yourself" Email Chuck and hes like $380.00 plus shipping.

Now thats wasnt so hard.

When I talked with Doug Levin, it was like I was talking to Mr. Rodgers. He is probably the nicest person I have ever talked to in the auto industry.

Dont you just love bashing people. I know I do.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar situation. When I was fed up, I accidentally sent an email to John saying "just call up the vendor as he only brokers most of his items". oops! hahah
needless to say, I told him to write up the order and I would email him next to to give him cc info (before I sent that info). Next day came and I told him to hold off for a couple days please and he got very snippy and angry. Not a good way to do business. I couldn't imagine me being successful if I did that to my customers .. Oh well. I'm glad many of you have had good experiences...
Heck while I'm at it. I remember calling him (installation of a fan) and asking him a question in which he replied "if you would have bought something from me, I might have helped". I had to remind him that I did buy a few big dollar items in the past from him and his tone changed quickly. I thought it was a one time thing, but oh well.

Gerald

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, you e-mailed a business for a $40+ order and asked them to call you back OUTSIDE their business hours to get payment info because you couldn't be bothered to find 10 minutes during normal business hours?

Why not e-mail your current address?

What wrong with a fax?

I'm sorry but the feeling I got from the story was that JonB was supposed to chase down $40 customers for payment and current addresses, like he was their servant or something. NOT!

As for my dealings with JonB:
My first call to him was to buy a small item, when he discovered I had an unmodified Viper, he insisted on smooth tubes, K&R's, and Green EBC's. I told him that I would eventually buy the "basics", but wasn't ready for the up-sell, and 'cause I didn't feel like doing the breaks and all right now (even though the squealing was driving me nuts). He suggested being I was going to buy them eventually, if I had the parts, I could upgrade when it's convenient (Yes, he's trying to process only ONE order, and doesn't want to loose me to another vender... but he was SOOOO RIGHT!).

I went ahead and bought what he recommended, and it took almost a year for me to get around installing all the items, but I tell you it was GREAT to just pull them off the shelf when I had the time (and desire) to do the work, and I'm real happy with his attitude - but then, I too am a business owner.

JonB -
1) Stop being so overly friendly by shipping too soon. ;)
2) Next time someone wants you to call them to get payment & shipping info, suggest they e-mail or fax it (or call during business hours)! On the other hand you could get another phone line, hire an order clerk, and raise your prices - naw, forget that, if I want to talk to clerks I'll call JCWhitney! :D

THANKS JON!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work with Jon a lot - but don't necessarily buy lots from him. I always get put on hold. He asks if I can hold. I have never been told that someone else was buying more stuff than me. Most often, I am OK with holding, so I hold. Otherwise, I call back when I have more time.

He's trying to answer all the calls personally, so yes, you are going to be put on hold.

He's pretty accessible and since we're on the East Coast, I can often get him after MY dinner.

Perhaps Jon could tell us how to use his website for non-standard orders (once we've talked to him and know the price) so that we could update our CC information and mailing address via a secure transaction and a simple order would never involve a volley of phone tag.

Perosnally, I wouldn't tell him to call me back to get my information if I am buying something. Don't do it to LL Bean, don't do it to Jon.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely dont mind holding but people get the tone from him that it is a privledge to talk to him. I know its a lucritive business with alot of people that want to have their hands held but there are so many people that are busier and they have time and manners. Hes just a bad (i shouldnt say bad - maybe inconsistent and moody businessman) I have bought from 5 separate vendors in the past and he is the only one that wants some kind of cookie because he sells viper parts.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I must chip in.

I have had nothing but outstanding service with JonB. I have ordered as little as brake pads only. He went out of his way to get me another set of ACR rims, shipped them to a chromer and then back to me to avoid rims going back and forth over border. He babysat the whole process.

I have been put on hold, and I'm okay with that. Jon is friendly and probably puts others on hold as well to pick up my calls. It's a business. I also email him as the difference in time zone makes it easy to communicate.

JonB - keep up the good work serving the Viper community. There are always ups and downs, happy and unhappy customers.

PS - from the posts here, it may be an idea to optimize email whenever possible.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought more than a few things from him. I'd guess the total would be about $2k.
First order was shipped incomplete. He was out of town at races or something. It was a hassle. I emailed him with my complaint and was told that if I wanted to take my order somewhere else, please do that. I did let the order stay with him and I received what I ordered.
He gave me a credit on the next order to make me feel better. I got a fair deal but it was a hassle.

To tell the truth I've had better dealings by far with Tator. I think Jon is trying to do too much without enough help to make things run properly. Sort of like going to a grocery or a bank and finding long lines and extra cashier stations unmanned.

By the way, if this thread goes away I'll be disappointed. This is a good discussion of real problems. It's not some kind of vendor bashing.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have purchased a lot of items from JonB over the last few years and could not be happier with his products/services. Jon's business is cars and the people that own them...a really tough combination to keep in balance.

CStegall

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, if this thread goes away I'll be disappointed. This is a good discussion of real problems. It's not some kind of vendor bashing.

It probably will. Eventhough its good to inform (what this page is for) we arent really bashing, just sharing experiences. We arent calling him a fat slob or threatehing his family, just honest truthfull experiences. Both good and bad. Mostly bad.

I think he takes alot of hits on alot of his parts to loyal customer and marks them way up to the newbies. I dont think manufacturers really like that. It makes they parts seem like they are erradically priced. I know corsa doesnt like some of the prices they see from certain vendors. Just buy from Corsa direct.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had several dealings with Jon, none of them for any great deal of money. In all cases he was terse, but fair and fast. I will certainly buy from him in the future.

Keep in mind, Jon is in business to sell Viper stuff. He has never made any secret of that. If you want to chat about parts, login to this board. Once you know what you want, Jon is pretty darn effective getting it to you.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I quess I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I have only delt with Jon on a few occasions and have never spent more than a couple hundred bucks with him at any given time. Although I have been put on hold, he was always very polite about it.

The last time I called I needed to get a few MGW parts and a set of EBC's (fronts only). Instead of just referring me directly to the vendors, he took the time to make a couple of three-way calls to check for availability and request a quick delivery. Everything arrived within a couple of days. There is no way he could have made very much money off such a small order but he still took the time to make sure I got what I wanted when I wanted it.

Bottom line: Jon may be a little rough around the edges, but as far as I'm concerned, he delivers.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had nothing but excellent service from Jon. From nickle and dime orders to full blown exhaust systems. I've also had the occasional call back I'm on the line with someone else. And also I've been on the line when he has answered other calls and put them on hold or told to call back I presume. If you want to talk to him personally things like this will happen. I'm sure he can hire some person to answer the phone and take orders, but your still going to have questions only he might be able to answer. How many times has one of you ******* Bill Pemberton on the phone chatting. I know I'm guilty but there has been many times I just get placed in the voice mail box. This is no different with Jon, he just answers the calls and says he is busy. Jon could probably set his phone service up to just dump you in a voice mailbox if he wanted. Jon tries to keep the car info, email/shipping addresses available for him to reference to limit the amount of discussions to get up to speed on what you have. He is one man and times it can get hectic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4