I just put a new battery in my 95, but now NOTHING WORKS....HELP!

vipurrman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:hitfan: I just installed my second Optima battery since the car was new.....not bad. Now comes the really fun part. Just after connecting the negative battery terminal, the 4 way flashers/headlights/brakelights came on blinking. I was able to shut all of this off with the key fob sending unit. Now when I try to do anything electrical.........Zippo. No lights, no horn no anything. I've checked all of the fusable links for continuity, and they are all good.......as are all of the fuses in that easily accessable fuse panel in the passengers wheel well. Anyway, I'm stumped! Has anybody else had this problem just replacing a dead battery. If so, please pray tell what the magic combo of " Cntrl/Alt/Delete" might be. Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever.........

Steve J.
:curse:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would hook up your viper to another car with jumper cables and see if your car lights come one or some kind of electrical acessory. I doubt you will be able to start the Viper up with a regular car...but this will at least show you that the car is okay. I would then next check the battery to double check the connection on the battery post. Sounds like a loose or not completely connected ground...may want to sand the cable ends to get a good contact on the battery

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At least grab the + and - cables and try to turn them to see if either is movable (loose). I had that problem once where the cable had a poor contact on the terminal.

OP
OP
V

vipurrman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:eek: Thanks to all who have responded, but I've actually done each and every one of these proceedures to no avail. It's literally like there is a main circuit breaker that been thrown into the off position. I do have the servece manual for the car, and I can find no such monster. Thanks for the ideas...

Steve J :p

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try resetting the alarm by the reset switch inside the car. I know that the switch is inside the center console on the top on the GTS's, but not sure where they are on the RT's. You will need your key to reset the switch by turning it.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a '95 doesn't have an alarm reset button (freakin' GenII guys and their fancy crap). unplug your battery, then plug it back in, now press the lock button on your key fob and that should reset the alarm, if you don't do this the car isn't going to work.

if you keep having problems call Chuck Tator @ 914-763-3136

EDIT: I guess I flipped through your post quickly, it sounds like you did the fob thing right. But I know I'm right about not having a reset switch.

I would definitely give Chuck a call.

are you certain that the new battery has a charge? you didn't cut the top posts off did you?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a voltmeter and check for voltage at the PCM (Large top terminal). If you have voltage the problem is upstream. If you do not have voltage the problem is probably back at the battery terminals or the battery ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang