I know this is a crazy Car Cleaning question.. but..help if you know..

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was thinking that washing the cars during the summer is a hell of a lot easier then washing them in the winter here in chicago.

So this begs this question... with salts on our roads and wet slushy areas I have to drive through to get back home. (Given that I have to use a car wash in Chicago, as washing a car in condo parking lot during winter is WAY stupid, given that the water is going to turn to ice and create a significant liability.)

So I wash the car, get it home, but then I want to remove whatever LITTLE crap got on the car between my washing of it at the car wash, and getting it home to my garage.

I also like to do the cleaning in my garage as its HEATED :)

Can I use something like windex to just clean whatever trival amount of dust or salts that got on my car ?? Kind of like how you would do the windshield, but I do the small areas around the wheel wells and maybe the front facia?

I also want to wax the car too, so I HAVE to get it perfectly clean before I start applying Zaino.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS, washing the car IN the garage would be a great solution, but that would get water all over the dry wall, and also most of my tools.. lol..

THANKS!!

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ah, so I can "wash" the car with a quick detailer ?? for any dirt that got thrown up on the car on my way home?

How much do I wet down the sections? and what type of cloth/mit do I use to clean it ?

and stripping everything using windex is actually PERFECTLY ok, because this is going to be the first time I wax this particular car.

Jon

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Griot's Speed Shine as its slick and does a good job of removing lite grime. I also use their detail towels. If you have lots of caked on road salt, sand I would try to rinse it off before trying to clean it with a detail spray/cloth which could lead to scratches. I usually fill up a 5 gal pail of warm water and rinse off the car in my garage during the winter months wherever there's caked on spots and then follow up with the detailer.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:I would NOT use windex on my paint. Read my QEW thread in the Detailing section. Pick up some Protect All QEW and use that. They also sell a few Spray on Waterless wash products like Chemical Guys ONE that may be better suited than a quick detailer for actually cleaning dirt. What color is your car? If it is dark you will want ot be very careful...

Waterless Wash And Wax With Kaolin Clay

[edit] I just noticed that you are a zaino user, :2tu: Just make sure you give it a 50/50 alchohol and water wipe down after using any of these products so your Zaino will properly bond.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Griot's Speed Shine as its slick and does a good job of removing lite grime. I also use their detail towels. If you have lots of caked on road salt, sand I would try to rinse it off before trying to clean it with a detail spray/cloth which could lead to scratches. I usually fill up a 5 gal pail of warm water and rinse off the car in my garage during the winter months wherever there's caked on spots and then follow up with the detailer.

Yep, fill up a bucket half way with soapy water and get off any obvious dirt, then I always clean off the brake dust. Dry the wheels. Go over the car with a California duster to remove the clinging dust, than use a detail spray like Adams or Mothers. Good as new. I never let that brake dust sit on the wheels for an length of time.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Griots makes a really good car wash soap. I fill two buckets with warm water. One gets the car wash soap, the other is used to rinse the wash towel (micro fiber) before putting it back into the soap bucket. Use plenty of soapy water on the wash towel. Dry with another micro fiber - usually, there is no need to rinse, but you can go over it again after rinsing the wash towel if necessary and then dry it.

I do this in So Cal - my Vipers don't get the hose very often - they don't need it and it's much less messy and time consuming. This would work well for you in the winter.

PS - Meguiars new quick detailer is very, very good.

Dan:usa:

snake-charmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO to windex. I don't even use that crap on the glass (Stoners is better anyway).

If it is only LIGHTLY (and I mean VERY lightly) dusty, then quick detailer is ok. But if it is dirt and grim, soap and water is the only way to remove it safely without scratching.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
26 years of Chicago winters were enough for me, thats why I'm in sunny SoCal now. That road salt is killer on cars and should be banned. Its almost 2008, can't they find an alternative to road salt thats cheap and doesn't destroy our cars?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in So Cal but this should apply to you as well. I've got two high quality spray bottles, one has a very mild soap and water solution. The other bottle has.... get this WATER, that is "Distilled Water". 90% of the time that's all I use. Here is my procedure.....

1) If you can, use compressed air to blow off any obvious dust and dirt off the car.

2) Costco sells microfiber towels. They are yellow and cost about $12 for a bag of 24+.

3) I spray the car in sections. Really soak any obvious dirt or bug areas and let sit for a minute. I'll spray those areas again to create a mini rinse.

4) Now I take a brand new Microfiber towel and gently wipe off a section at a time. Here's the catch.....I gently roll the towel as I'm wiping to constantly reveal a clean section of towel. I use both sides, then pull out a fresh towel. I'll go through 15+ towels and toss them in the wash.

5) Once your done, simply wax as you normally would. It's super easy, and does'nt load your paint up with all sorts of compouds. Another benefit is that your not creating pools of water inside the nooks and crannies where corrosion starts. I always use fresh towels on the GTS, after they are washed I'll use them on the GTO and elsewhere. Oh and the soap and water solution almost never gets used.