I might start a war here but I'm gonna ask anyways...

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... Also, though the gen III/IV is a beauty, I'm married to the look of the gen II. One question, are the soft tops on the RT a nightmare? Again, the more input the better, so please keep 'em coming.

John, My neighbor has a gen III vert and I must say I'm envious at the convenience factor he has when he puts the top up in 30 secs. However, since you love the curves of the rt's then perhaps a 3 pc trunk top will help you out. I also love the curves, but if I'm away from home and the sky turns ugly then I can pull over and grab the top out of the trunk. One person can easily handle the 3 small pieces and it even actually looks good on the car. I hate the clunky oem soft top as it hangs on the garage wall never to be used.
Here are a few cell pics... hope this helps.
Mike

You must be registered for see images attach

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what you what to do with the car.
1. Weekend car or something more?
2. If you travel with the car.... trunk space may be limited with top.....that 3 piece is neat.
3. Noise
4. Have both cars if you can.....I wish I had kept my 2008 blue and white convertible in addition to my ACR
5. Get one 1996 or later...with the electric windows

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a difference to the windscreen pillars or windscreen angle between the RT and the GTS? The reason I ask is when I got in my friends 2001 RT (passenger seat) I found I had to slide down lower in the seat to see out of the windscreen? It was as if the windscreen frame was much wider and seemed very obtrusive compared to the GTS?

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a difference to the windscreen pillars or windscreen angle between the RT and the GTS? The reason I ask is when I got in my friends 2001 RT (passenger seat) I found I had to slide down lower in the seat to see out of the windscreen? It was as if the windscreen frame was much wider and seemed very obtrusive compared to the GTS?

Lots of Vipers have a seat lowering kit installed. Makes a huge difference in visiblity if your taller. After I lowered mine, the difference is night and day, although I made mine custom to keep the sliders in place. But well worth the effort.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think either Viper will be great blasting Whitesnake. (says the long-haired-stuck-in-the-80s guy) I believe some Steel Panter - Feel the Steel, Van Halen - any album except Van Halen III), Motley Crue - any album would be great! I wish you all the best on your tough decision.

Regards,
Aaron

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a coupe guy all the way but the RT/10 has the best ass in the business and actually looks more exotic than the GTS IMO...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of Vipers have a seat lowering kit installed. Makes a huge difference in visiblity if your taller. After I lowered mine, the difference is night and day, although I made mine custom to keep the sliders in place. But well worth the effort.
I guess that could be it? I have a seat lowering kit in my GTS :)

Wow, just noticed I hit 4000 posts, Note to self, Must get out more :D

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The looks of the rear end on the RT/10 would prevent me from ever owning one (just doesn't look good IMO). But to each his own.

Drive one first and then get what suits you best.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This dilema is exactly why Dodge went to a true convertable in 03. RT/10 looks great, but you have to decide before leaving the house that you are going to be ******* till you return. Hard top does not fit in the trunk. Wipe the dew off in the morning, get caught in an unexpected shower, weather turns uncomfortably cold or hot, and you then wish you kept the top on.

Options are to run an aftermarket 3 piece top, or the standard Viper Toupee.

Driving ******* is a fantastic experience in a Viper.

Lots more fun with the top off.

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One again, thanks so much for sharing your wisdom, it's very much appreciated.

In terms of the music, I get where you guys are coming from, but as someone who plays guitar, it's kind of hard to disregard a genre of music characterized by its guitar-centric sound, more specifically the face-melting guitar solos, and it's off-stage shinanigans.

With regard to the car, you guys brought up a good point about the windshield pitch. I'm 6'5", can get into my GTS comfortably, and have no issue with the sight lines in the car (no lowering kit) but I feel if I were a quarter of an inch taller, I feel it might be an issue. Do the RT and GTS have different windshield pitches/heights?

Also, guys have chimed in about the three piece top, the noise, and the logistics of the targa. I've found a car that comes with the factory hard and the soft tops. My question is: does the soft top leak? Is it something that can be put together in locked in place on the go?

Thanks again guys.

Speed SG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get the R/t10 and a nice hardtop, best of both worlds..... ;)

Attachments

• CIMG0114.jpg
    CIMG0114.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala