I Need Help Getting Rear Moton Shock Off

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to get my rear Moton shock off to see why the car is banging over bumps. I started another thread to try an diagnose the problem here http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/654343-Help-Diagnosing-Noise-form-Rear. I really didn't want to do this job myself but I was afraid to drive the car to a shop as is. Now I have the shock halfway off but I am having trouble removing it.

I have searched many threads on removing shocks and they all pretty much just say remove top bolt and bottom bolt and the plug in the carpet to remove the rear shock.

Do I need to relieve tension from the shock to remove it? After I removed the bottom bolt the shock expanded and is pressing on the lower control arm. It's not the coilover spring as that turns freely in my hand.
Do I need to remove or loosen the stabilizer bar and or the tie rod to allow the control arm to lower?

Am I going to need to compress the shock to reinstall it?

Also where can I get a service manual. I have searched and can't find it listed anywhere.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
First, both rear tires need to be at full droop. If you are trying to take one side off at a time, the stabilizer bar will make it impossible.

Once both rear tires are at full droop, i.e. hanging above the ground on both sides, the rear shock should come off easily.

If it's still a bit stubborn, and it shouldn't be, loosen one or both sides of the rear sway bar retaining bolts at the frame.

PM me if you have more questions.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, both rear tires need to be at full droop. If you are trying to take one side off at a time, the stabilizer bar will make it impossible.

Once both rear tires are at full droop, i.e. hanging above the ground on both sides, the rear shock should come off easily.

If it's still a bit stubborn, and it shouldn't be, loosen one or both sides of the rear sway bar retaining bolts at the frame.

PM me if you have more questions.

Good luck,

Dan

Thanks Dan!! Only had one side off.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got the shock out. The aluminum top basically came off in my hand it was so loose. I can't imagine how it got like that unless it was installed that way. The threads all looked fine so I don't think it
was pulled out.

I am now trying to get the shock back in. I have the bottom loosly bolted in but the top is about 1/2 inch too high. I have been jumping on the wheel bolts to try to get the linkage to line up. When I stand on it it goes down a little but comes back up. It might be a 2 person job. One to put downward pressure on the suspension and another to push the top bolt through.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Sorry to be so needy.

Thanks

Reaction score
You have to release the nitrogen from the canister so you can compress the shock and line everything up, of course you will have to have a way to recharge the canister also.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got the shock out. The aluminum top basically came off in my hand it was so loose. I can't imagine how it got like that unless it was installed that way. The threads all looked fine so I don't think it
was pulled out.

I am now trying to get the shock back in. I have the bottom loosly bolted in but the top is about 1/2 inch too high. I have been jumping on the wheel bolts to try to get the linkage to line up. When I stand on it it goes down a little but comes back up. It might be a 2 person job. One to put downward pressure on the suspension and another to push the top bolt through.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Sorry to be so needy.

Thanks

A long pry bar got the job done for me.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to release the nitrogen from the canister so you can compress the shock and line everything up, of course you will have to have a way to recharge the canister also.

Gotcha. How much pressure should it be? Can I check the pressure with a tire pressure guage. Also, can I dirve the car without it being pressurized to fill it, or would that be damaging?

Thanks!

Reaction score
If it has been a while since they were checked I would do all of them and set to 180 psi Nitrogen only of course and make sure they fill and purge the lines for the hose and also the shock a few times to evacuate any air in the system before you set the pressure.

Gotcha. How much pressure should it be? Can I check the pressure with a tire pressure guage. Also, can I dirve the car without it being pressurized to fill it, or would that be damaging?

Thanks!

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Thanks!

I've never had to release the pressure in the shock to re-install one and have done this many times on Gen II, III and IV Vipers, but there's a reason my sons call me an Ogre as I'm built a bit like Shrek.

Try the pry bar or a 2 x 2 on the lower control arm or simply loosen the sway bar bolts at the frame.

Good luck,

Dan

Reaction score
LOL you are correct, yes you can do it that way I just don't like prying on stuff or potentially scratching high end parts so better safe then sorry for me.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

In case you have not found a Service Manual yet (again...SORRY for the
bad link!!)...here are the specs from the 2009 CD:

FRONT SUSPENSION FASTENER TORQUE

ABS Tone Wheel Mounting Bolt
Brake Caliper (Hydraulic) Mounting Bolts

Hub And Bearing Mounting Bolts

Lower Ball Joint Castle Nut

Lower Control Arm Pivot Cam Bolts

Lower
Spring Seat Locking Screw - ACR Adjustable Shock

Shock Assembly Mounting Bolts (Lower and Upper)

Stabilizer Bar Bushing Retainer Bolts

Stabilizer Link Control Arm Nut
Stabilizer Link Stabilizer Bar Nut
Tie Rod Knuckle Nut

Tie Rod Adjuster Jam Nut

Upper Ball Joint Castle Nut

Upper Control Arm Frame Bolts

Wheel Mounting (Lug) Nuts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[h=2]REAR SUSPENSION FASTENER TORQUE[/h]

Brake Caliper (Hydraulic) Mounting Bolts11585
Hub And Bearing Mounting Bolts149110
Hub Nut325240
Lower Ball Joint Castle Nut160118
Lower Control Arm Frame Pivot (Cam) Bolts10275
Lower
Parking Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt - Lower5238
Parking Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt - Upper3224
Shock Assembly Lower Mounting Bolt136100
Shock Assembly Upper Mounting Bolt136100
Stabilizer Bar Bushing Retainer Bolts9167
Stabilizer Link Nuts2317200
Toe Link Adjuster Jam Nut7555
Toe Link Inboard Mounting Bolt7555
Toe Link Outboard Mounting Bolt Nut7555
Toe Link Knuckle Nut7555
Upper Ball Joint Castle Nut10275
Upper Control Arm Frame Pivot Bolts10275
Wheel Mounting (Lug) Nuts12290

[h=3] DESCRIPTION [/h]

[h=3] N·m [/h]

[h=3] Ft. Lbs. [/h]

[h=3] In. Lbs. [/h]

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank You Everyone!!

In case you have not found a Service Manual yet (again...SORRY for the
bad link!!)...here are the specs from the 2009 CD:

FRONT SUSPENSION FASTENER TORQUE

ABS Tone Wheel Mounting Bolt1713150
Hub And Bearing Mounting Bolts6145
Lower Control Arm Pivot Cam Bolts10275
Lower
Shock Assembly Mounting Bolts (Lower and Upper)136100
Stabilizer Bar Bushing Retainer Bolts6850
Stabilizer Link Control Arm Nut2317200
Stabilizer Link Stabilizer Bar Nut2317200
Tie Rod Knuckle Nut7555
Tie Rod Adjuster Jam Nut7555
Upper Control Arm Frame Bolts10275

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REAR SUSPENSION FASTENER TORQUE

Hub And Bearing Mounting Bolts149110
Hub Nut325240
Lower Control Arm Frame Pivot (Cam) Bolts10275
Lower
Parking Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt - Lower5238
Parking Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt - Upper3224
Shock Assembly Lower Mounting Bolt136100
Shock Assembly Upper Mounting Bolt136100
Stabilizer Bar Bushing Retainer Bolts9167
Stabilizer Link Nuts2317200
Toe Link Adjuster Jam Nut7555
Toe Link Inboard Mounting Bolt7555
Toe Link Outboard Mounting Bolt Nut7555
Toe Link Knuckle Nut7555
Upper Control Arm Frame Pivot Bolts10275

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
LOL you are correct, yes you can do it that way I just don't like prying on stuff or potentially scratching high end parts so better safe then sorry for me.

Yeah, I like scratching high end parts.....can't wait to get the car home today to see if I can scratch something expensive, then buy a new one from you! LOL.

Reaction score
Yeah, I like scratching high end parts.....can't wait to get the car home today to see if I can scratch something expensive, then buy a new one from you! LOL.

I did not mean that in a disrespectful way Dan, just that I'm careful with stuff that I don't own is all.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
I did not mean that in a disrespectful way Dan, just that I'm careful with stuff that I don't own is all.

Mark, just poking a little fun at you.

I know how careful you are, I bought your used Moton 3 ways for my ACR. Not sure how long they were on the car but they were in nearly perfect condition.

I wish we had a dealership in the LA / OC area like you guys, but we don't .....yet.

Will we be seeing you and Bill at VOI 12?

Dan

Reaction score
That's what I was hoping you were doing just making sure ;-)

Yep definitely see you there!

Mark, just poking a little fun at you.

I know how careful you are, I bought your used Moton 3 ways for my ACR. Not sure how long they were on the car but they were in nearly perfect condition.

I wish we had a dealership in the LA / OC area like you guys, but we don't .....yet.

Will we be seeing you and Bill at VOI 12?

Dan

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Shuttle-Pressure-Gauge-Dial/dp/B000FICCP8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1340836307&sr=8-10&keywords=bicycle+tire+gauge

Try a gage setup like this one. It attaches to the fill valve. There isn't much volume in the shock so it kinda tricky to get the pressure exactly where you want it. If it was me I wouldn't try driving the car without the gas pressure in the shock. I would also verify if the pressure is to be checked at ride height or fully extended.

Good Luck!!
Brent

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Shuttl...340836307&sr=8-10&keywords=bicycle+tire+gauge

Try a gage setup like this one. It attaches to the fill valve. There isn't much volume in the shock so it kinda tricky to get the pressure exactly where you want it. If it was me I wouldn't try driving the car without the gas pressure in the shock. I would also verify if the pressure is to be checked at ride height or fully extended.

Good Luck!!
Brent

I am going to try and get the shock on without letting the gas out. Don't know if I will be able to as my kids aren't around to help.
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the shock back in with a little help from a prybar on the lower a frame. Car drives smooth as silk!!

Thanks everyone for your invaluable help!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950