I need to know two things....head gasket R&R

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. What size female plug are the two antifreeze block drains? I am assuming 5/16"?

2. What size thread chaser/bottoming tap is used for the block - head bolts? Metric or standard?

Before I remove the heads tomorrow I want to make sure I have everything ready for surgery...

OP
OP
F

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I customized two 3/8" extensions with my bench grinder. The first one snapped and it fit in that female plug like a glove. The second one I grinded down fit perfectly and I put so much arm into it while the car was in the air I had to stop fearing that I would crack either the area around the plug or the extension would snap. I feared the block cracking since I was using all my strength and it wasn't budging and I am a pretty strong guy...and we're dealing with aluminum and I don't know how strong that area of the block is.

I loosened up the head bolts (lower ones first) and some antifreeze drained onto the floor. Once I got the heads off, I used a siphon with a plastic tube and sucked out any antifreeze still in the block. Some went into the lower headbolt holes but I sucked them out with an old battery hydrometer. Amazingly no antifreeze went into the cylinders...

I installed the passenger head with the new gasket. The new gasket looks better but strangely enough the old head gasket didn't look bad at all. This worried me! I assume the newer gasket (multi layered) plus 25 more foot pounds will do the trick. We'll see...

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try some penetrating oil on the block drains...let them set overnight...use pipe tape/dope when putting them back in...sounds like you're doing GREAT!!!