I see where the oil filter is at, now where is the drain plug?

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and found several great pics showing where the filter is, now where is the drain plug located on the pan? Front or back? Saw a pic of most of the front part of the pan and couldn't make out the plug, so my guess is at the rear.

Would make it a lot easier to do my own oil changes If I didn't have to take it off the rhino ramps or jack up the rear. Hopefully the plug is at the rear.

My Corvettes all had the plug at the front of the pan.

Thanks,
Dave

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Near the middle on the drivers side. The plug is on the side rather than the bottom of the pan.

OP
OP
F

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper SRT:

Thanks for the confirmation. I was looking under the car tonight and saw the plug on the driver's side of the oil pan. looks like you could get it loose without having the car off the ground.

Has anyone here done an oil change with the car still on the ground?

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

You can make yourself step-up ramps in less than 15 minutes that work great for the SRT. All you need is a 7 ft., 2”x 8”, piece of pressure treated lumber (actual dimensions 1.5” x 7”). Cut 2 pieces 28” long and 2 pieces 14” long to use up the whole board. Now nail one 14” piece on top of, and at the very end of, one 28” piece to create one step-up ramp. Use nails less than 3”, obviously. You need to use the ramps on a “PERFECTLY” flat surface (garage floor) and push the low side right up against the front tire before driving up on them. This will raise the car 3” (once your up on both levels) and this is enough to give you good access to the filter from below. Also, I can reach the drain plug from the front making it a lot easier to loosen than trying to get it from the side of the car. REMEMBER TO APPLY THE EMERGENCY BRAKE BEFORE EXITING THE CAR and “ALWAYS” block both sides of the rear wheels after you have the fronts centered on the ramps. This is your safeguard in the event you forget to set the emergency brake or if it fails. Let the oil drain for about 1/2 hour and it will require about 9.33 quarts.

USE THESE RAMPS AT YOUR OWN RISK OF INJURY TO YOURSELF OR DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE. It’s still tight under there so make sure you don’t get stuck. :)

OP
OP
F

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,
Thanks for the step up ramp plans. Doesn't seem you would have much oil staying in the pan with the car front being slightly higher on the ramps with you needing 9.3 quarts of oil. I think the engine needs 10 with filter change per the owner's manual.

I had it down well with my Corvettes. Go up the ramps, then jack the entire rear up at the center of the cross car brace. The Viper has all these belly pans (correct word?) under it. It is hard to even see a decent jacking point.

Dave

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

According to the service manual the engine actually hold 11 quarts, so one quart still remains under the best of circumstances. It also recommends to get the oil to normal operating temperature before draining. I change every 2,500 miles so I'm not worried about the extra half quart. If I remember correctly, my ZR-1 had a 12 quart capacity but you could only drain 9 qts. Trying to raise the back of the car is unnecessary and dangerous. Remember, THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ONLY LOCKS THE REAR WHEELS ON THE SRT!!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ONLY LOCKS THE REAR WHEELS ON THE SRT!!!"

Isn't that true for most if not all cars? Good advice none the less.

OP
OP
F

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the first oil change on the Viper. I made the set of step up ramps and they worked fine. I was unable to get to the drain plug from under the front of the car, however. I am not overly tall or have overly long arms. I was able to get it with no problem from the driver's side with a socket extension (10") and swivel attachment on my socket wrench.

I let it drain for an hour or so. I actually had to go out in the middle of the change, so it had to sit for a while. I needed 10 quarts of oil to get the dipstick to the top of the safe range.

I think that is funny that the Owner's Manual states it takes 10 quarts with filter, and the Service Manual says 11 quarts. I think 11 quarts would have filled it up too high on my car at least.

I got a bit concerned when the orange indicator light on the oil pressure gauge came on after I fired it up after I was done, but it stayed lit for about a second and then all was normal. I have also noticed that the pressure gauge takes a second or two to start registering when you turn the car on during normal operation.

Dave