I think I made a mistake.

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not happy with my Viper.

Yes, it is everything I expected it to be. Fast, beautiful and is certainly an eye catcher but for some reason, a reason I am still trying to put my finger on exactly, I'm not happy.

I come from old muscle, had a high HP 70 Roadrunner, a 69 Charger RT, and a 73 Challenger 340 car plus some Barracudas and Dusters. I have even had a 300 SRT8. The Viper is none of those, I know this but my wife and I spent a day in it last week and it was uncomfortable, hot, impractical for a family of 3 and just isn't doing it for me.

Tonight we were cruising as a family in my wife's tricked out Mustang vert and saw a beautiful 70 Roadrunner and my heart just said, the Viper is the wrong car. I miss the rumble, I miss the steel.

I thought the Viper was my dream car but maybe I have outgrown that dream. I like fast but am really missing my SRT8 even.

The wife could tell I have not been ecstatic about the car like I have the others. She even has asked me a few times and I have said I'm not, just took me awhile to figure it out.

Just a confession I guess.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I love the Viper I know that this type of car is not for everyone. In the end..if a classic muscle car is what you truly desire; then that's what you should get cause it's about being happy. Most of the guys on this site have followed their hearts and their hearts have led them to The Viper...So follow yours and good luck with your search....

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not happy with my Viper.

Yes, it is everything I expected it to be. Fast, beautiful and is certainly an eye catcher but for some reason, a reason I am still trying to put my finger on exactly, I'm not happy.

I come from old muscle, had a high HP 70 Roadrunner, a 69 Charger RT, and a 73 Challenger 340 car plus some Barracudas and Dusters. I have even had a 300 SRT8. The Viper is none of those, I know this but my wife and I spent a day in it last week and it was uncomfortable, hot, impractical for a family of 3 and just isn't doing it for me.

Tonight we were cruising as a family in my wife's tricked out Mustang vert and saw a beautiful 70 Roadrunner and my heart just said, the Viper is the wrong car. I miss the rumble, I miss the steel.

I thought the Viper was my dream car but maybe I have outgrown that dream. I like fast but am really missing my SRT8 even.

The wife could tell I have not been ecstatic about the car like I have the others. She even has asked me a few times and I have said I'm not, just took me awhile to figure it out.

Just a confession I guess.

If you miss rumble, that is easily fixed and the first thing I have done to all of my vipers. If you let out a bunch of brake fluid, take out a few spark plugs, and haphazardly unbolt a few suspension pieces, it will drive a lot like those old muscle cars too.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Satch, you should have Known a lot of these things BEFORE you bought it, especially about it being Practical for a family of three. Good Luck with finding your dream car, now how much do you want for yours? Oh, Satch I forgot to mention I remember when I First got mine. Had it delivered to me & the First time I sat in it I thought the same thing (what the hell have I done, I was sitting cockeyed in the drivers seat) I had never even sat in one much less drove one.
But, if you buy anything without checking it out & kicking the tires, thats the RISK you take. BUT, it didn't take me long before I LOVED sitting cockeyed! jmo

Last edited:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that your dream car didn't turn out as good as you thought. Some dreams should be left as dreams. And others need to come true. ***** that yours didn't turn out in you favor. I agree with you though about it not being practical, and thats exactly why i love mine.
Sounds like the same thing my buddy went through with his crotch rocket. There's a bunch of us that own them and he has ALWAYS wanted one. Just loved the look and sound. But once he bought it and got to ride it he realized that it wasn't for him. He liked the thought of them better then the reality of it. Some times you just have to find out the hard way.
I hope you find what ever it is you are looking for.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sell it and move on to something you like better. This certainly isn't something to lose any sleep over.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you miss rumble, that is easily fixed and the first thing I have done to all of my vipers. If you let out a bunch of brake fluid, take out a few spark plugs, and haphazardly unbolt a few suspension pieces, it will drive a lot like those old muscle cars too.

That's funny and soooo true.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Life is too short, sell it and get what makes you happy. In the end its just a car no matter what year, style, or cost.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Satchmo... Your story is similar to mine. I went through 4 Vipers trying to chase something that wasn't there before I realized that I really loved the big old lumbering muscle machines of days gone by and that I was sick of transporting only one family member at a time. The Viper is a great car no doubt and I still would like one for a lot of reasons (just don't have the room or cash to keep one around for those special occassions).

My first step was to investigate a Resto-rod... Those were too expensive for me if done like I would prefer... I then took second notice of the Challenger SRT-8 and that is what I ended up with. Muscle car looks and sound with today's handling and ammenities I come used to. I will get it next week and I am hoping that is the car I can hold onto and be happy with.

Good luck with your search.

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just sold my viper. Same thoughts. Same reason. Go figure. Now restoring a 64 plymouth savoy with 4 speed and 572 Hemi! *****.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Men are so fickled!! This car is awesome!! What is wrong with you?:crazy2:

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove my buddies corvette for the 1st time last night. It was really nice but I felt like I was driving a suped up Cadillac. I was so glad to get back in my viper. Yep it's hotter, it's no family car for sure. My wife can take it or leave it. But it's MY car and it makes ME crazy happy. So sell yours and find something that gives you goosebumps everytime you look in the garage. Oh fyi I was dog sick after I sold my B/W gts.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
As much as I love the Viper I know that this type of car is not for everyone. In the end..if a classic muscle car is what you truly desire; then that's what you should get cause it's about being happy. Most of the guys on this site have followed their hearts and their hearts have led them to The Viper...So follow yours and good luck with your search....

Well said Jog

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is not for everyone, and it is definitely not a 'nice' car. -Cool if it's just not for you, move on to something else. We are living in the 'good ole days' now. You don't have to put up with a bucket of bolts junk from yester-year to have the muscle car thing going. The SRT8 Challenger is great, or do it up with the GT500 or ZL1 Camaro. Those cars have back seats and a trunk, and they are fun to drive. They also have modern comforts like A/C, ABS, non-rattleling body and suspension components, and they will turn or stop as well as go. -or start tracking your Viper......then you'll never get rid of it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Admirable honest concessions Satchmo and *****. I love classic muscle too but in my case the Viper is the perfect car for me and as much as I'd love to own a few muscle cars I know I'd be less than content with them. So I admire the classics from afar and appreciate them all when their owners bring them out. Maybe you'll do the same when you see a Viper. Enjoy your ride whatever it might be and post pics when you get 'em.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The great thing about cars and being a car guy (man) is that you can try them out, have a short or long term relationship, and then get rid of them and pick up the next pretty, hot, thing that catches your eye. The car will never hate you for it. And it costs a lot less to do this with cars, as compared to other pursuits !
:headbang:

OP
OP
S

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts guys!!! Glad to know I am not the only one.

As far as practicality, I figured it in, I just didn't know it would bug me like it does. We enjoy going out as a family. I am more of a family guy I guess, I thought I might hang with my car buds more with this car.

As far as being as being fickle...you should see how many guitars I have owned and sold off!!! :)

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HHHmmmm.

A buddy at work has had over 14 vehicles in 5 years. One of our co-workers started keeping track. 3 mustangs (2 bullits and 1 california special convert), 2 corvettes, 1 fuscia SRT-8 challenger, 1 chevy 1/2 ton truck, another ford truck, 1 current camaro convertible, I forget what the rest of them were. Some of the vehicles not listed were his wife's I think.

He tells me he thinks the camaro is a keeper. I will be surprised. I know he likes the the search and the "deal" part of it.

To each his own. The great thing is whenever my wife gets ticked at me for spending on the 1997 GTS I just remind her.

Some of the remorse above regarding going with the family I have heard from my friend. Don't forget after the kids reach a certain age they will not be hanging out so much with you; They will drive themselves. Of course my girls are all over 18 now.

Good luck with your search.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice car mad max !

if you dont like the viper any more, sell, thats what i did. Its no big deal, try and limit your loss and enjoy the next car

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The New age is great, but the old is a lot of fun too. I have a collection of new and old Mopars. It fills the void of not hearing the Rumble of a HEMI to be able to go out and carve up the road in a SNAKE.:D:D

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came from classic muscle to viper. Now I just take it to all the local car shows and get my fix... then drive home the long way enjoying life in the snake.
I do lots of other things with the family...

viper = me time! :D

Hope you find yours and good luck.
Mike

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Viper, and SRT8. I enjoy both equally, for different reasons. I'm am lucky to be able to (currently) afford two, but if I could only keep one, it would probably be the SRT8. There, I said it....!!

Good luck with your search. These really are the good old days, and there are many fine choices, from Europe, Japan, and the USA to choose from.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny, when you get the muscle car its not what you remember either , I have a 69 gto,68 firebird 73 mgb,and a viper. I work on the old stuff all the time. and the level of perfectness is so different. I to and a family man with 2 kids and simply don't get to drive the viper much.But on the other side the old stuff can be unsafe for the kids. Look at the crash pertection or the seat belts, oh yea don't forget about the brakes. (yes I got disc). The heat inside makes it hard for the kids to. The truth is my kids like my f150 better then any of them. I love them all and think the best is to have a large garage and a pile of cars, but I can agree that if it doesn't do it for you get something that does.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The New age is great, but the old is a lot of fun too. I have a collection of new and old Mopars. It fills the void of not hearing the Rumble of a HEMI to be able to go out and carve up the road in a SNAKE.:D:D

Very few have the great collection you have Grant. You can go into your garage and fire up one of your cars to satisfy any whim you have at the moment.:2tu:
Maybe that is what Satchmo72 needs. If he can afford it, go get a 70 Road Runner with a 440 + 6 so he can sit at a light and have a factory cam "shake" and the cool rumble when he takes off.:drive: Or get in his GTS and really rip up the track.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So sorry Satchmo72. My old Gen 1 IS the car for me.. I'll give it up when I wrap it around a tree... or when I'm 6' under (and even then, I may just find another and haunt it).

The classic muscle cars are out therel... Go get one! As for me, well, I was the perfect age when the gen 1 car came out; 20 or so and bored with the 80's crap.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No sweat. There's a place in most any stable for a Viper because its so unique. I have the luxury of space and a bunch of garage space and 10 cars, from old big block corvettes to 80's fiats to race cars and diesel trucks....each has a character and each has limitations. You may get back to a Viper one day when you just need t scratch that V-10, raw, hot-vut-beautiful itch.

Good luck with the next purchase, truly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang