I wonder what the Gen 3 guys are going to do?

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard from a very reliable source that in Sept. at VOI9 (which I will be attending), DC will introduce their Coupe with the NEW 650HP engine that will be available in the new models. :D

With that being said, what do you think all these guys that just bought the Coupes do? As of now, should DC do that, having a current Coupe will be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I was thinking about buying the new Coupe to match my Blue and White, but not anymore. I am waiting for the 650 beast at VOI.
:2tu:

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard the same rumor several times and everybody says it will be naturally aspirated.

OP
OP
V

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup! I heard it will still be a V10, not a Hemi, and it will be a NA car.

So who wants to guess what the current Coupe and converts prices will do when this new 650HP engine comes out?

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With that kind of power coming straight off the line I have a feeling the regular joe with to much dough may be the next one to go, in a grave that is. WOW!

They should make driving school mandatory before taking delivery or atleast show proof you attended in the past.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VOI is 5 months away, and my guess is that the new model won't be available for a while. You can't live life worried about what's going to come out next year. Enjoy what you got when you have it.

OP
OP
V

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually...D man. There are too many words in your guess to get the extra 150HP.

It only takes one word...Compression! :shocked:

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loved my Gen II, now love my Gen III and hell I would love a GenIV with 650hp if it ever comes to production. But for right now I will just enjoy driving my Viper and not worry about what DC has in the works.

Reaction score
Easy to forget that the Viper has been the U.S. King of the Hill for many years. A hand built exotic sports car for under $100,000.00 made im Amercia!

Having purchased five Vipers(New), There is simply no reason to wait for the next GEN and lose the opportunity to drive the present GEN. Every new Viper model has had improvements some small some not so small.

Consider this it is 1992 you hear that the newly released Viper will have additional features, a better soft top, a better door screen, real windows, so you never buy a RT10. You see the New GEN GTS and hear it will be getting better wheels(forged), possibility of ABS coming, so you never buy one. GEN II arrives with ABS and you hear about a new GEN with better brakes, more HP so you wait. It is 2006 and you are still waiting for the next GEN!

There is nothing better than a smile on your face, and nothing better than a Viper smile.

Life is not a dress rehearsal, there is no 2nd act! Enjoy everyday who knows when it will be our last!

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not that hard to get 650 HP from Gen 3 engines, so keep buying 'em and modifying 'em, as many Viper owners do anyway. The new coupe is absolutely gorgeous, especially that yellow one with silver stripes. This coming from someone who was never that thrilled with the styling of the Gen 3 convertible. But I still love the convertible!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy to forget that the Viper has been the U.S. King of the Hill for many years. A hand built exotic sports car for under $100,000.00 made im Amercia!

Having purchased five Vipers(New), There is simply no reason to wait for the next GEN and lose the opportunity to drive the present GEN. Every new Viper model has had improvements some small some not so small.

Consider this it is 1992 you hear that the newly released Viper will have additional features, a better soft top, a better door screen, real windows, so you never buy a RT10. You see the New GEN GTS and hear it will be getting better wheels(forged), possibility of ABS coming, so you never buy one. GEN II arrives with ABS and you hear about a new GEN with better brakes, more HP so you wait. It is 2006 and you are still waiting for the next GEN!

There is nothing better than a smile on your face, and nothing better than a Viper smile.

Life is not a dress rehearsal, there is no 2nd act! Enjoy everyday who knows when it will be our last!

So nicely put!
:headbang:

Get in. Shaddup. Hit the Go Pedal. Hold on for the Ride of your life!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper and other cars will need to address the 2007 changed front bumper regulations, and between that, the competition, and other factors, I anticipate an increased HP Viper to come with the necessary redesign for that government reg, which is why I consider my 05 a temporary ride and am not bothering to do anything to it.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think we're talking about sitting on the sidelines while whole generations of cars go by. We're talking about whether to buy something perhaps at the end of its run when an official announcement of something better is anticipated in short order. It's not about "living for the moment" so much as being as practical as possible in a hobby where depreciation is the rule. Ask the guys who jumped in on the first Z06's, only to have the higher HP version out 6 months later. Those first cars are practically unsellable now. That's the apples-to-apples argument about a 650HP coupe being released on the tail of a new coupe.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine is an all new 8.4L V-10. Starting with a blank sheet of paper should make it alot easier to get 650HP out the V-10 than using the 8.3L engine. BTW: this engine has dyno'ed at 700HP and will be dialed back when released, just like the 6.1 Hemi V-8 is.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't get 650 HP out of the current block? Check GTS-R specs, 700 HP using factory block and tweaked heads. What about all the tuners using NA motors producing well over 700 HP?

Anything can be done, practicality and reliability will suffer though. Like Mopar says, it makes more sense to design a motor for more, and dial it back than try to extract more from a motor than it was designed for.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think it is best if it is normally aspirated.

this way we dont have to hear from the corvette guys, "Yeah, but it has a (blower, turbo)".

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again.
If everyone waits for the next "rumor" car, and current cars do not sell, the risk is high that DC will drop Viper.
Posting that something new is coming only hurts the chances of that car ever coming out.

Answer for Gen III owners that want to have superior HP is Paxton. Under $10k, and 800 hp. No need to wait if HP is your goal.

My unsubstanciated rumor is that drivetrain will not handle 650 hp. Even if the engine could produce it. Lots of noise and emission rules also rule out massive hp.

I would expect the next HP boost for 07/08 would be in the 550 hp range, maybe with traction control to protect drivetrain. Expect a similar driving experience as with current engine. Maybe a little lighter, and with higher price tag.

Looking forward to VOI.9 Expect DC to give us their latest ideas as a test balloon. They will take our reactions back, hone the car, and bring it on when the time is right.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no 700 HP engine. There is no 650 HP standard engine coming at VOI in September. There have been a number of posts on this subject and both statements,upon close examination, are not supported by any credible evidence.
There is one thing that is perfectly clear. Posts like this can, if believed, negatively impact the sales of Vipers. This helps Dodge's competitors which leads me to believe that some posters on this board may be unwitting dupes of those competitors. The First Amendment is broad but there comes a point where intentionally reckless statements can be actionable. Knowingly stating something like it is a fact when it is actually an unproven rumor supported by mere supposition and hearsay on hearsay, to me, is reckless. Just my two cents.

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't get 650 HP out of the current block? Check GTS-R specs, 700 HP using factory block and tweaked heads. What about all the tuners using NA motors producing well over 700 HP?

Anything can be done, practicality and reliability will suffer though. Like Mopar says, it makes more sense to design a motor for more, and dial it back than try to extract more from a motor than it was designed for.

geez since post count matters one would think one would know.
gts-r used a gts-r block, not stock gen 2 block. different block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, dry sump and so on.