I'd like better brakes that look stock - 2000 ACR

Bravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'d like better brakes that look stock - 2000 ACR

Looking to keep the ACR all original, but the brakes are just wooden.
I have some EBC Greens that I haven't installed yet, but based on the chat here....may not be the way to go to increase performance.
Dust, I can handle. I just want the brakes to really bite, and must appear stock.
Who's done what... and please don't say "search, blah, blah..." I've been lurking here for a while, but haven't really seen what I want yet.
Any recommnedations cheerfully accepted. Thanks all.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'d like better brakes that look stock - 2000 ACR

PFC bite hard.

Get Tom's rear brake upgrade. Cost effective and performance effective and nobody will know it was modified.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gee :confused: there goes all my VCA ad money down the drain :(

SCCA06_004.jpg

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got Dave's kit and used the former fronts on the rears. Incredible difference.

You can't keep the look completely stock since the SRT calipers are huge. If you use black calipers all around it would look close.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Dave: What would you recommend given my desire to must retain the stock look?

Does "retain the stock look" mean that you wish to retain the "open" rear calipers? If so, then Tom's upgrade is really your only option in the rear. You don't have many options in the front, since the SRT brakes are so much bigger. The stock look requirement is pretty confining unless you're limiting the discussion to just different pad/rotor choices in the existing calipers. Even slotted/drilled rotors are going to change the look.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

6 piston Baer w/ 14’’ rotor up front
Stock fronts & rotors moved to the back. Not a stock look but..............it's a look

They stop like a b!tc# and never faded on the track but, squealed like crazy on the street.

Put on the steel brake lines as well if you haven’t already.

4030DSC01071.JPG

4030DSC01078.JPG

4030Sebring_V_Days_up-close.jpg

IMO, This has to be the best looking Viper ever made. :headbang:

SCCA06_004.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Dave: What would you recommend given my desire to must retain the stock look?

I also sell Tom's upgrade :cool: I have one web page just for Tom's upgrade.
He's kit is the only way to stay OEM STOCK :shocked:

Dave

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

His kit is the only way to stay OEM STOCK :shocked:
So, I assume the SRT calipers of your kit offer better braking/control than just the bored-out rears of Tom's kit, but Tom's kit has the advantage of being undetectable without pulling the rear caliper and measuring the piston/bore, correct? I'm considering a brake upgrade, but am on a budget (like most of us, to some degree), and, due to that budget, am not planning any major track work in the near future anyway. So, as most of my planned future use will likely be street, some autocross, and perhaps a track day (like maybe one), what would be the recommended upgrade for the near future? Sounds like Tom's might be my best bet...

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

His kit is the only way to stay OEM STOCK :shocked:
So, I assume the SRT calipers of your kit offer better braking/control than just the bored-out rears of Tom's kit, but Tom's kit has the advantage of being undetectable without pulling the rear caliper and measuring the piston/bore, correct? I'm considering a brake upgrade, but am on a budget (like most of us, to some degree), and, due to that budget, am not planning any major track work in the near future anyway. So, as most of my planned future use will likely be street, some autocross, and perhaps a track day (like maybe one), what would be the recommended upgrade for the near future? Sounds like Tom's might be my best bet...

Tom's deal is the best bang for the buck :eek:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Randy said:
So, as most of my planned future use will likely be street, some autocross, and perhaps a track day (like maybe one), what would be the recommended upgrade for the near future?

Randy, have you done "one" track day yet? It's like eating one potato chip, you always come back for more, and more.
Yes, Tom's brakes for what you want. I have had them for 2 years now, and the stopping is exceptional; I think the best way to describe it is the car SQUATS, rather than nose dives. Even very noticeable on the street.

Later,

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Randy, have you done "one" track day yet? It's like eating one potato chip, you always come back for more, and more.
Yes, Tom's brakes for what you want. I have had them for 2 years now, and the stopping is exceptional; I think the best way to describe it is the car SQUATS, rather than nose dives. Even very noticeable on the street.
Yes, Don, I've done a couple dozen track days, in a number of vehicles, including motorcycles, my previous '95 Viper, and my current '00 RT. Despite my fairly respectable times, I'm definitely not really hooked by the track, although I have the second set of wheels with sticky rubber on them, lap timing system, etc, etc. I'm blessed with two world-class tracks within an hour's drive - Laguna Seca and Sears Point; most of my time is at Laguna Seca, with times in the low 1:40s on the bike, and high 1:40s in the Viper (not awesome, but still respectable for a bone stock car and someone who isn't extremely serious about it).

I've compensated for the braking deficiencies in the Viper so far by doing Motul 600 brake fluid and various racing brake pads, some of which do a better job of addressing the lack of rear end stopping power. However, unlike many, I'm really more hooked by acceleration, *not* by pure speed, and track days don't thrill me as much as they do many, so I've not delved into many mods, although I've always known the first performance mod I'd ever do would be to the brakes. thanks for the recommendation for Tom's modification, that does sound like something I'd like to do. :2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Randy, maybe you'll get hooked on "de-celeration." Doing the slow-down dance can become extremely confidence inspiring and as much part of daily driving as acceleration, whether with Dave's set up or the 40mm rears. I can't predict where your car would have fallen, but my g-force testing showed that a stock '94 RT improved from 0.8 to over 1.0 G's with a balanced braking system. And that was on a public road, with street tires, and OEM pads.

Dave's site has a little info and my email. (Thanks Dave!) Let me know if you'd like some performance data or description of the installation. Order now and you'd be in the running for being the 100th customer.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am running Dave's kit on my Viper.
Dave's kit is 100% perfect and the price is very reasonable.
I have tried other solutions and they were all disappointing.
This is one of the best mod that you can add to your Viper beside the Roe Supercharger ...

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score

PFC bite hard.

Get Tom's rear brake upgrade. Cost effective and performance effective and nobody will know it was modified.

I've heard of this modification, and been told that it is in fact a very noticable upgrade. I hear it only costs like around $600.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I was very impressed with Toms kit. Took it to VIR and only
locked the brakes up two or three times at 100mph+ during the
entire weekend. The stock brakes used to lock up religiously
at 80mph. I was very impressed with how different the car
reacted.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was very impressed with Toms kit. Took it to VIR and only
locked the brakes up two or three times at 100mph+ during the
entire weekend. The stock brakes used to lock up religiously
at 80mph. I was very impressed with how different the car
reacted.
Suweet - Tom's sounds awesome, but Dave's sounds even better. I'd love to do something like Dave's kit - but, as I read it, I would need to locate the SRT calipers, which probably are not cheap. So, to confirm, I read the total cost of Tom's conversion for my '00 to be $660 (plus shipping), plus core exchange, right?

For those of you that have done Dave's kit, what was the total cost? Including the $900 for the brackets, acquiring the SRT calipers, different brake pads, the required different brake lines (steel-braided?), and whatever else is needed?

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Randy,

I recently installed Tom's 40mm rear calipers on my ACR with new EBC reds.
So far I've been VERY pleased with the results, Now If I could just have a
break from all the rain to get some lap results!

Burt