Identify this mystery metal, and yet ANOTHER crank pulley separation.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the oil in my Viper today in preparation for a great year of driving. Stuck to the drain plug magnet was this piece of metal, along with the usual particulate that I imagine is normal for a sub-10K mile engine. Anyone have any guesses as to what the heck this thing broke off of, and how much trouble is my engine in as a result?

You must be registered for see images

Then, on my post-oil-change drive, after about 5 minutes of driving, my crank pulley/harmonic balancer separated from the crankshaft AGAIN. I just dealt with this last July, put the monster 250 ft-lbs and red loc-tite on the bolt and everything. So I'll be purchasing the Roe pin-kit and taking care of this once and for all.

This car sure is full of surprises.....

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
um... pull the valve covers and look at the figure-8-looking retainers around the lifters. you'll need a flashlight to look down there. you might be missing a piece of a retainer...

don't ask me how I know. :)

JD

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks JD,
What would the effect of a broken retainer be on the engine? i.e. how dangerous is it that I'm driving the car around with a broken retainer if you're right? It seems to run fine (other than that little thing called the crank pulley :laugh: :laugh: ).

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it is just a retainer corner, it ain't no thaaang. it won't hurt anything. as long as it didn't get eaten by the crank (and you'd be able to tell by dropping the oil pan OR nicks on the clip itself) then you can live forever w/o replacing it. BUT, you need to see what caused it. for me, it was a dumb-*** thing. and it wasn't gonna happen again (but i replaced it anyway b/c i had the head off). for you, what caused it (if that is it)? it is a rare failure... unless you miss the cup on a pushrod and then bump the motor over with the pushrod on the clip rather than the lifter cup...

JD

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

Let me know if you still need the Roe pin kit. I bought one to to be installed along with the Roe S/C a few years back. Never installed the S/C so I sold it. Still have the pin kit new in the box. All I have to do is find it somewhere in the garage.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

Let me know if you still need the Roe pin kit. I bought one to to be installed along with the Roe S/C a few years back. Never installed the S/C so I sold it. Still have the pin kit new in the box. All I have to do is find it somewhere in the garage.

Thanks Dave. I ordered the pin kit from RoeRacing.com last night. Wish I would have waited a bit now. :) While I was at it, I went ahead and ordered a set of hoses w/ the built in bleeder valve...this thing is due for a coolant flush.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those Roe silicone hoses are great! Makes bleeding air a breeze. I wish Sean would come out with silicone heater hoses with a bleeder valve. Good luck.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've received 3 PM's regarding the pin kit. GR8 ASP at 11:38 am, Chad at 12:43 pm and obaa996 at 12:58 pm. GR8 ASP is the winner! Ron, PM me your address and I'll mail it to you after I find it (hopefully i can still find it). The price.....make a donation for any amount you feel is appropriate to a charity of your choice.

Shipping is on me. :D

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've received 3 PM's regarding the pin kit. GR8 ASP at 11:38 am, Chad at 12:43 pm and obaa996 at 12:58 pm. GR8 ASP is the winner! Ron, PM me your address and I'll mail it to you after I find it (hopefully i can still find it). The price.....make a donation for any amount you feel is appropriate to a charity of your choice.

Shipping is on me. :D

I'm glad I could help you sell your leftovers. ;)

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad I could help you sell your leftovers. ;)

Actually I'm giving away my leftovers. But I do thank you for freeing up about 4" X 4" X 4" of very valuable garage cabinet space. ;)

Heck yeah, if your garage is as small as mine is, that 4" cube of space is golden! lol :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. My crank ... er my damper ... well you know what I mean thanks you greatly.

Makes me wondeer if I should pull the pan to see if I have any "schnews."

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need a replacement damper I will send you one FREE of charge (just pay for shipping).

Also, that broken part appears to be a "shnew" from the lower end of the crank case.

Hope this helps :usa:
Doug

Thanks Doug. I don't know if you remember it, but other than me, you were the last guy to work on this car! I think the damper/pulley are fine, I'm hoping the crankshaft wasn't scored by the damper rubbing against it.

As for the shnew, at JD's suggestion, I"m going to pull the valve covers this week and see what I can see. Hopefully this is a 'benign tumor' I've found. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456