If I dont take my SRT10 what does the dealer do with it?

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on a number of factors , including the valve & rear end issues & the fact its 4 months over due, & more importantly our local NHRA strip will not let us run one without a roll bar, I have second thoughts about taking delivery on my 2003.What happens to the car if I dont take it? Does the next certificate holder get it ? or does the dealer do with it what he chooses?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on a number of factors , including the valve & rear end issues & the fact its 4 months over due, & more importantly our local NHRA strip will not let us run one without a roll bar, I have second thoughts about taking delivery on my 2003.What happens to the car if I dont take it? Does the next certificate holder get it ? or does the dealer do with it what he chooses?

You own the car until it gets to the Dealer! Once it gets to the Dealer, they can do what they want with it! If your Viper has not gotten to your Dealer, call VCA HQ and let your car go to another VCA Member!!

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the rear end issue you mention? News to me. Also, if you are spending 80K on a car why not fork out another 2k and buy the roll bar? 4 months overdue? DC always said delivery may take until June...

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can do several things with it;

1)Put it on Ebay and sell it for 10k over sticker.
2)The owner can drive it round for 10k miles and then sell it as NEW claiming it is still considered new because it was not registered.
3)They can remove the SRT badging and put on the alternative S2000 plates, and sell it as a honda. Sorry could not resist;).

OP
OP
P

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
quote"Also, if you are spending 80K on a car why not fork out another 2k and buy the roll bar?"

I like em stock, thats why. If I am spending 80+ k on a car why not spend another 20 or so for the GT3?. I have plenty of race cars to spend my mod$$ on, I like to bring the street rides out to exercise them once in a while. My GTS has 33k+ miles from new & its bone stock.I like it that way. It has seen many a track mile, both road course & strip.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just your opinion Daddy...
Not sure why DC never made the roll bars functional and to this day I have never seen anything from DC on this issue...why won't they say if they work as roll bars or not? Unfortunately we will probably find out after someone has a roll over and gets killed, then DC will have to face the issue in court.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's inconvenient if your rear end goes, but I know of one that went in my area, and Roanoke had a replacement air expressed in and installed the next day, not that big a deal really. The valve issue doesn't apply if you don't already have your car. And if you lived in the Illinois region, you could go to Gingerman and exercise your car with only the addition of 5 point harnesses as long as you kept your time over 1:37.

The GT-3 really doesn't do what the SRT does, had Porsches and while they are nice cars, they are a totally different experience than the SRT.

OP
OP
P

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote"The GT-3 really doesn't do what the SRT does, had Porsches and while they are nice cars, they are a totally different experience than the SRT."

Like what? other than the top going down? 0 to 60? 1/4 mile? lap times? Top speed? exclusivity? I think the GT3 is a good comparison in all aspects. RememberI have & will keep my 97 GTS, The SRT 10 will not be allowed to run below 13.0 at any NHRA strip without a cage. Road atlanta will allow it during panoz days but no other club will.
As of today I am taking the car..... But I have to admit I am haveing to think about it. It also bugs me when a number of non club members are crusing around the ATL in the SRT 10 long before the cert hold. recieved them. There is even a lux rental place in town with 2.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can feel better knowing they prob paid a good markup on those cars! you can prob drive yours for a year and sell it for what you paid for it.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PDM - Well, the top down is kind of a big thing, but if your'e not a ragtop guy that's not necessarily a biggie. I have had a convertible "sports" car since I bought my first 1970 corvette convertible new, so to me it is quite a big thing. Another big difference is the feel of the car, the Porsche has a feeling that can be described as refined, but I also felt mine had a bit of "fragile" in there along with the refinement. I had a 1974 Porsche as well & it didn't give me the fragile ******* like the 2000 did. There are a lot of systems on the current Porsches and if you check the Porsche boards you will find a lot of complaints about many of them. The GT-3 will have some features my Cab did not, including a more fully adjustable suspension that will allow you to dial out the standard understeer, but my Cab would hav required aftermarket adjustable strut tops that would not be allowed in scca stock classes. My Porsche paint chipped very easily, but that could have been my particular example. The SRT is heavy, tough and indestructible "feeling" and I prefer that feeling overall. The biggest difference is the immediate torque of the SRT compared to a lower torque higher winding engine of the GT-3. You will be noticed by fewer people in the GT-3, particularly if you go with a subtle color like silver, but I might actually prefer that aspect.

Remember, I didn't say the GT-3 was a bad automobile or that I wouldn't consider owning one, just that it was a very different experience than the SRT. I am not a big drag racing fan, so the few times our local VCA goes to the track - Rte 66 and rte 41 locally, will be more than enough for me. And as our Region has decided to allow the SRT to run Gingerman with only Harnesses as mentioned above, I should be able to play enough for my tastes. I liked the 00 Porsche Cabriolet, but I currently have a BMW E46 chassis car and find it to feel just as refined as the Porsche, but with less of the "fragile" feel I took from the Porsche. You might want to look into the new M3 lightweight coming out soon, It should be quite fast, but again, a totally different experience than the SRT.

Either way - Good luck with whatever car you end up with.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I turned mine over to a broker.Had to choose between my 01 Saphire GTS and a balck SRT.Wife said I couldn't have both and I chose the GTS. Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960