I'm becoming less mature with age (fun video from CA Speedway drags)

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'m becoming less mature with age (fun video from CA Speedway drags)

They opened up the new drag strip here in Socal at the California Speedway site in Fontana. I went out on Saturday for a few runs and discovered that the track needs a lot more rubber to be laid down before it will ever let you hook up like Pomona. Alas, with no professional events and 90% of the guys at the Street Legal drags on stock street tires, I don't see this happening any time soon (if ever).

But at least I did my part on my ET streets -- check this out!!!

Burnout (300K MPG)

What can I say? I didn't realize how smokey my burnouts have become. All I remember is Jarrod and Beach Bum taunting me about how weak my burnouts are, so now I'm sitting there and letting them roast.

P.S., don't let Dan Cragin see this, or he'll know why my rear brake pads are wearing out faster than my fronts!!!

P.P.S., 11.65 at 122.4 in case you're wondering....Not the result I was hoping for. Couldn't get the 60' below 1.68. Like I said, no one was hooking up great.

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m becoming less mature with age (fun video from CA Speedway drags)

Where can you do burnouts in the UK? Somehow I never thought of the UK as burnout capital of the world.
laugh.gif

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didnt think you could get that much smoke out of the pilot sports but that burnout looks pretty good to me.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice smoke job Mike, you didn't see any of that in the car? Looked like the whole car was enveloped in smoke.

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wayne, that was on ET streets.

Bob, Hi! How are you doing? Actually, I was focused mainly on keeping the tach at 5500 rpm, and the smoke was going out the sides and back, so I saw very little of it. I did notice after staging that there seemed to be smoke still coming out of the wheel wells, because I could see a small cloud of smoke by the side of the car.

Anyway, no doubt this is behavior I should've gotten out of my system in my teens, but I was such a goodie-goodie that I've just let it build up, and it's coming out now!!!
biggrin.gif

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That was a sweet burnout. I enjoyed it. I have never made such an awesome burnout. I don't have line locks either, do you? Maybe you can fill me in on how hard you are applying the brake so that the fronts don't move and the rears break loose. I'd appreciate it so I can get rid of these old tires I have on now.

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vip-RT10:
No line lock. Rev up to about 5000 rpm and dump the clutch. Immediately stand on the brake. I would characterize it as a "moderate" amount of pressure. Not mashing the brake, but definitely on it. Now wind the revs up to 5500 rpm or just under red line, and hold it there. The trick is you do need the tires to be fairly wet, so make sure you've driven all the way through the water box.

Bob:
I was launching on Saturday around 4000 rpm. On stickier tracks, I can launch at 4500 rpm. 5500 rpm was for the burnout.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Gorgeous burnout, loved it, a big 10/10.

Soooo good to see our snakes (and owners) give it some, and have some fun.

Me thinks it's kind of like a mating ritual in the animal kingdom, eg when a Peacock put up its tail feathers to impress and warn off any other males, our Vipers show who's the king of the supercar kingdom, with a burn out.

(I keep the brakes on with right ball of foot and heal the gas same time, usually in second gear at 4500 - 5000 rpm).

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, thanks Nadine! I guess that's the ultimate seal of approval!

So, you mention that you do your burnouts in 2nd gear. Do you start off in 2nd, or do you heal-and-toe into 2nd? The one time I tried starting in 2nd, I think I burned more clutch than rubber...
redface.gif

BTW, I have to ask...where do you do burnouts in the UK, Nadine? On my trips there, I didn't see any of that sort of behavior on public roads. I've heard there are drag strips; how do they compare to the U.S.?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Burnout Brother, I'm sure the blue with white stripes coupes, make the best burnout by far!!

I start in second, and only for a long rolling burnout change up (careful it doesn't fishtail on the change!). Its quite ******* the drive line though. I often try and face down hill slightly, to lighten the load over the rears. Hey wonder if there's a record for a burnout at speed?

Where in the UK?...everywhere! Never known it to be a problem. Just got to be a little careful on the roads and public places, some find the habit a little antisocial.

Most of my mates proudly sport some 355 rubber on their drives or out side their houses, gives them a smile. I'm always careful to check what's behind should anything be thrown up. One of the funniest times for me, was when this crowd of shoppers were staring and the snake and I as we passed through, their jaws were on the floor. I had to stop for lights, thought a little burnout would be funny to see if I could stretch their jaws any further!

laugh.gif
devil.gif

There are a couple of good Drag raceways in the UK. I made 10 runs in a day and killed a set of rear streets, loads of fun though, and then drove home. (Most of the MOPARS there were trailered). I had to take my hat of to the Jet engined car, 5.6 @ 280 mph, now that's shifting! (Burst my ear drums too) also shot bigger flames from his rear!

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nadine,

Thanks for the info. Yes, the blue and white ones make the best burnouts, I'm sure.
laugh.gif

How do you keep from frying your clutch with a 2nd gear start? Are you doing this on slicks or on street tires? Also, 355s???? Where do I get a set of those for the stock rims?

People tend to get arrested in America for doing burnouts in public. It's a bit sad, really, that you Brits are more liberal in that regard!

Keep smokin' those hides, Nadine!

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dump the clutch, don't fry it! I'm on streets, if it were slicks, me don't think I'd have any drive line left!

Oops, typo, 335's...it should of read, guess they swelled with the heat of all the burnouts!

It helps being a 'young dumb blonde female' when it comes to getting caught doing things you shouldn't in public places, but I don't get caught...they just can't catch me!

patriotx.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960