I'm tired of front plate tickets, need help getting a permanent waiver

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'m tired of front plate tickets, need help getting a permanent waiver

I got nicked the other day for no front plate - first time being written up after probably 5 pull-overs for front plate. So, because I'm feeling ornery, I'm going to fight it and see about getting a permanent dispensation for not having a front plate. What I'd like to do is go into court and be able to convincingly say:

1. Dodge Vipers do not come with a front plate bracket built-in.
2. The aftermarket brackets are held on with suction cups, which isn't safe
3. (optionally) Vipers run hot and have emmissions issues if they have a front plate

Here's where I need help: I have the PDF version of the parts catalog, and can't find a front plate bracket anywhere in it. This is good, because it would help me make the argument that the cars don't come with front plates. But, if someone knows more about the FACTORY front plate bracket, and could provide documentation for the rumors I've heard that you have to drill your fascia to install it, I'd appreciate the information. I'll print out pictures of the suction cups and foam-rubber holders, hopefully the judge will agree that these are not especially safe. Yes, I know that there are bolt-in versions that go on your airbox, but I want to keep things nice and simple. Finally, I've heard that Dodge couldn't emissions-certify the cars with front plates. Can anyone confirm that this is true? If so, (or if there are additional reasons that Dodge didn't put a front plate on) I'd appreciate any documentation that anyone can send me.

My goal in all of this is to get a letter I can carry around to show the police that I don't need a front plate. If it works out, I'd also like to get the documentation together as an illustrated upgrade (which it it, sort of) as a resource to other Viper owners.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Andy

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m tired of front plate tickets, need help getting a permanent waiver

tough one, it looks like you either bite the bullet and mount a plate (uughh) or get a ticket fund going to pay for the tickets youll be getting.

its a bogus law and the man knows it, it serves no true purpose except to bend you over stick you and take a couple bucks on the way out.

actually, if you are in good with you dealer's parts man, order a bracket, have him put it on back order and place an approximation on the invoice, say a few weeks or so, and put that gem into your glovebox, then you have proof its ordered and your simply at the mercy of the mailman and the manufacturer, just remember to update the bogus invoice when needed.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did the same, I ordered one online, printed the receipt then cancelled the order and have been updating the date for a year now, seems to work even when getting inspection stickers they ask where is the front plate and I hand them the receipt and they buy it.
FLX

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FUGLY!Carry the plate with.Ask where you would drill the holes amd block the oil cooler or radiator since it was designed not to have a front plate?Just pay the ticket.No big deal.Not a points violation.One of the added costs of driving a VIper. Bruce

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In Washington state, the law says that the state patrol can grant an exception if you'd have to damage the body of your car to mount a plate. My point here is that I don't want to kludge something into the radiator mounts; I want to give a Judge an excuse to grant me an exception. So, if anyone has details on the stock Dodge bracket and whether it needs to be drilled into the fascia, I'd appreciate any pointers (my car didn't come with one). If it's in the parts catalog and I just missed it, please let me know.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Andy-
I've paid lawyers money to find out about this.
The only exemption in WA is for a Panoz roadster.
I have the documented history.
NO WAY can you get an exemption.
Sorry!

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have the instruction sheet for the factory-provided bracket. It does indeed require drilling holes.

I can fax a copy to you this evening when I get home if you give me a fax number.

Incidentally, I keep mine in the trunk to show the officer that I just received it and am "planning on installing it this weekend"... story worked with my Corvette anyway. ;)

Skyhawk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Andy - When I picked up the Viper a few months ago, there was no front license plate bracket with the car. A week or so later, I noticed that the bracket was indeed listed on the new car paperwork as one of the things that was supposed to be delivered as part of the car, but it was shipped as a loose item (unattached). After mentioning this to the dealer, they agreed that the bracket should have come with the car, and they simply ordered another one and gave it to me. Yes, the intention from the factory is that you drill holes in your fascia to mount it. No, I didn't drill any holes. My intentions are to just carry the front plate under the seat and put it on the dash when pulled over.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One of the parts suppliers recommended the dash technique if pulled over.

I have my mounting plate that I'm carrying with me in the trunk.

If you can pull it off, act really naive and see if you can get the officer to help you mount it right there and then. Some of them will actually start to help you. Then they get frustrated and just change the subject.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What we need is a plate bracket design that is set on two narrow rails with an arch the width of a license plate and as thin as the chin guard (mounted the same way) where the plate can be slid upward remotely or from inside the car into position, but this would take some thought and time, lets start thinking HMMMMMMM
Maybe we need JESSE JAMES
FLX109

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kind of like an upside down garage door, Am I loosing it or what, hmmmm all for a license plate holder
FLX

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Andy,

Someone has already used this document I created once in front of a judge and gotten the ticket dismissed.

I keep it in my glove box, and (happily) haven't yet had the chance myself to use it.
Most agree that it is a long shot, but I've talked to a couple a WA State troopers and they've all agreed that
someone must be having a bad day to ticket you for this.

http://home.att.net/~pingvinas/RCW4616240_Exception_Form.pdf

Let us know how it goes. There is precendce set in WA in that the Panoz has a legally authorized exception to RCW46.16.240....

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have an extra stock front plate bracket. Part # 4708270 13062.
I bought one on ebay as my car didn't have one when I got it. The guy sent me the old one later on.
Want to buy one?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Andy,
I have the stock factory bracket still in the plastic bag, never opened; part #04708268. I went to the dealer and ordered one a couple of years ago, and they had to order it. I was hoping that it would be on back order forever. A couple of weeks later those clowns called me that it was in and come get it. Have never opened it, the instructions, as I read through the plastic bag, do indeed require drilling holes in the body (front fascia).
Where are you getting all these stops, I have never been stopped, but then, as you know, I don't drive as much as you ??
Call Tom P., he can probably get you one of the slip on kind - Work great, when used.
Later,

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thnx for the fax. im stopping by the state highway patrol barracks tomorrow to get it filled out. ive never had a front plate on my viper or any of my other vehicles yet. ive been stopped numerous times for it and it never fails to get nothing more than a warning, some courtesy and ******** always work.

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. I DON'T WANT TO BUY A BRACKET!!! I want a "get out of jail free" card for whenever I do get pulled over without a front plate. Yes, I know there are after market brackets - I'm sure many of them are perfectly functional. I want to prove that if I have to drill the body of the car to install the "official" bracket, then that means the "body construction of the car is incompatible with a front bracket".

Actually, my personal favorite stop was when I was stopped next to a cop at a light, just slightly behind him. I saw him crane his head looking for the front plate, so I rolled forward 2 feet. He then rolled forward a few feet, then I did, about 4 times each, until we were right at the white line in the intersection. He then waits for the light to go green, pulls me over, walks to the front of the car, then asks me for the plate. Got let off on that one, but it would just be handier to be able to flash a sheet of paper or court dismissal and say that the judge sez I don't need one.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dave Adkins, I posted a thread last fall thanking you for posting that form. My friend that sold me my 2000 GTS got a ticket for no front plate on the GTS and I got a copy off this forum for him to use in court. And you know what? It worked, the judge threw the ticket out.
Thanks again
Tracy

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I actually did a home loan for a local cop and I asked him about the same thing. He said to call the police dept and report your front plate as lost/stolen. Then when you get pulled over, the nice policeman can look it up on his trusty computer and see that it has been reported lost/stolen. Therefore he can't issue you a ticket. All they can do is request that you replace it when your plate expires. I did this after I renewed my plates for two years. I haven't got pulled over yet, but I have 2 years to not worry about it. After two years I'll tell the license bureau I found it and then report it missing again after I get the renewal. By the way, the policeman told me that I didn't hear this from him so it must work.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I beat my ticket in court. Took a pic. with it stuck on and told them that I made my own bracket because Dodge does not , then I took the plate back off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte