In car track timers

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one that I really like, forgot what the name of it, but I'll try to remember or check it out in the garage. I bought it during one of the VRL weekends at VIR, worked really well, and matched up with what times the VRL equipment was recording for me.

Jon

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the neatest products is TraqMate, which uses GPS to follow you around the track. It's self-contained and gives you segment times and quite a bit more. A Hot Lap timer is going to cost you around $220-250, and you'll have to set up a transmitter. The TraqMate is about $900-1000, but it does a lot more. I've compared my lap times with those recorded on the Viper Days' equipment, and they're nearly the same; any difference is due to the variance in my Start-Finish point from the point Viper Days was using. Check out their web site here

Of course, after re-reading your post, you did say basic timing. The TraqMate is certainly not basic.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Longacre Hot Lap timer and it broke in a year or two. Dunno what the problem is, don't care, but it shouldn't break so easily. There are a few GPS systems out there that I might go with. I'll have to look into the TraqMate and see what kind of warranty it has.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the Trackmate, the GPS antenna is magnetic. anyone using this on an SRT?
Mounting methods?

If yo uhave ever had a n aftermarket Navigation unit that should look familiar to you and if I'm correct it should go on the dash somewhere and doesnt have to go on the outside of the car.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running a Neon SRT-4 at Viper Days. I'm using the magnetic mount on the roof. However, you probably can put the GPS antenna (looks like an XM antenna) anywhere it's got a shot at the sky.

When I say "nearly the same", I mean within a couple hundredths of a second. The first time you use the Traqmate at a given track, you need to set "Start-Finish" for that track. That's done by pressing a button on the Traqmate. I usually set Start=Finish when I cross the finish line. Since it wouldn't be advisable for me to stop right on the finish line and set the Traqmate, I just press it during a lap when it looks like I'm crossing the line. Once Start-Finish is set for a track, you never have to reset it; the GPS knows every time you cross that location. Since it's unlikely that the spot Viper Days sets their transmitter is exactly where I press Start-Finish, there can be some variance. The device updates 20 times a second (and you can set it for even more frequent updates), so that's certainly accurate enough for me.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TraqMate's gonna be listed #1 on the letter I'm writing to Santa.
My (verbal) letter has already been sent to mrs. (wife) santa. And so I know I'll get one even if christmas doesnt come early ;)

My mom asked me what I wanted for christmas and I told her a lap timer and she said yes because she thought it was a running track timer because I run a lot. when I told her it was for the car she retracted. she has also declined my pleas for a garage lift, so I guess the wife will have to handle that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang