In case it comes up, they will run on snow

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From time to time, I'll see a post asking whether these marvelous cars will work in the rain. Answer: no sweat--they just don't race well in the rain.

We've had a very wet autumn in Northern Virgina, and I suspect I have logged some 1500 miles in the rain this year. The vettes are out there, the porsches are out there. I'm out there. Easy on the throttle and all is well.

On to snow. Last week we received six inches. If you know the area, you know this is enough to close us down. After the plows got around a bit, I had an opportunity to try it on packed snow in a very controlled way. Want to emphasize the word "controlled." Don't want to be a risk to myself or others.

To my surprise, the car will get traction (2nd gear starts)on a flat road. Imagine that. To be clear, I'm not suggesting you drive on snow--actually, I'm suggesting you don't--but I was amazed that the car actually got a bit of traction. File this under "nice to know but useless facts."

The point is that the car amazed me yet again. Pretty elegant for a car with this much torque.

S

SUN RA KAT

I got caught in a surprise snowstorm and my Viper ran better than 50% of the cars on the road and 100% better than the cars that slid off of the road. Easy does it & the front goes where you point it

The only 2 bad things about driving in the snow is worrying about the other drivers hitting me and cleaning the salt crud off of my Viper afterwards.

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
From time to time, I'll see a post asking whether these marvelous cars will work in the rain. Answer: no sweat--they just don't race well in the rain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee Walt,
One of the funnest times I ever had on a track was in the rain. On that particular day I was able to post the TTOD the entire day until the sun came out and dried the track off enough that one of those pesky little "P" cars snatched it away. The Viper because of its tire patch and power led the way among all kinds of trailered in tube frame racers and exotics till the last minute. I had to settle for a resounding whupping of all other remotely streetable cars and a serious embarrassment of most "race cars" to walk away with the 2nd fastest time of the day behind the all time track record holder by a few tenths of a second. That was my day to bask, so I had to pipe in. Thanks.
wink.gif