In need of a mechanic. Tampa Bay. #slave cylinder

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went out today, vacuumed, moisturized the leather and thought I'd pull it out of the garage to clean the wheels.

Clutch felt unusually soft but turned on fine. Would not go into gear, wouldn't go into 1st, 2nd, reverse etc..

With the car turned off, it goes into any gear. Well. I decide to push it out, why? I don't know. I'm not a mechanic. I was able to get it back in the garage by putting it into first then turning on the car.

well, i did a little research here on VCA, and called Chuck Tator. Chuck advised me to post on here to find a regional member to help me find a mechanic.

He also gave me some tips, pumping the clutch 25-30 times.. but unfortunately it didn't help. he tells me that it's common the slave cylinders go out on the Gen2's especially when they're garage queens, which mine is.

so... I'm going to need a local mechanic, I'm in Oldsmar which is just north of Clearwater, FL. anyone who can help.. it'll be appreciated.

[email protected]

1997 GTS 22k

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for an old school muscle car shop. The T56 gearbox is a common item for such shops. Expect about 3 to 4 hours labor at up to $100/hr. The slave is around $280. Good luck.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slave is bad... Have them check the master as well which can be done by disconnecting the dry coupling at the slave. If this is disconnected the clutch pedal should not go down more than an inch or two before pressure is maxed out.

If you have a bit of mileage on the car... Say 25 to 40k miles, switch he clutch while there since the trans will have to drop off to swap the slave.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Grisoman, not that there arnt car shops around but I just dont know any of them, I'm really looking for referrals..
and @ luisv, yeah, that's what chuck tator told me, he didnt mention the master though but I'm sure a shop would. car has just under 22k so I'm hesitant to swap out the cluch although it's not out of the question. I may end up taking it to a dodge dealer where they may have a viper tech.. I hate to because the labor will be X 2 but it'd be peace of mind knowing it'll all be warrantied.

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Matt at Kesatie Motorsports, they do great work. Tell him Josh with the TBSS and Viper sent you.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Blown408... I might be setting up with Chuck Babel. I'll know more this weekend. If not I'll keep your suggestion handy.. It'll have to be flat bedded so i dunno about going all the way to sarasota.

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh nice Chuck is great as well, but yea keep Matt in mind.... he might even be able to get it picked up for you.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff, ask Chuck if he knows how to do the $4 A/C fix also. If so we might have a Tampa $4 A/C fix party......Between you, me, and Krystian....I'll bring the cigars....

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can fix both. I have a 4-post lift in the garage, trans jack, etc etc etc. Done a few trans swaps and AC rebuilds in my GTS. BUT I'm not going to be around the next few weeks. Chuck will take good care of you. Just keep feeding him wings and beer!! IF things get drawn-out with Chuck, I will be home on leave from 4-11 June with the wife out of state in Ohio. So All I'll be doing is tinkering in the garage anyways....

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Blown. Ill keep him in mind for sure. 1997GTS I'll ask. Haha. Ellow, I do appreciate it and will be giving him a lot more than wings and beer for his help ! Where do you live?

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done two this week,,, Not to bad to do if you can get the car high enough..
well based on your location you're not going to be able to help.. unless you plan on guiding me over the phone.. ;)

Brandon/Valrico. Been there 11 years now. Wow how time flys.

Well from what I've gathered Chuck will be able to help me.. if not.. I've bookmarked this thread..

thanks man.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the shifter of before removeing the trans to save the rubber boot getting damaged...... 4x13mm bolts..

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ellow, I might try and hook up with you for the AC fix, if I dont get it sorted out before June 4th, or so. If that's alright with you.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ellow, I might try and hook up with you for the AC fix, if I dont get it sorted out before June 4th, or so. If that's alright with you.

Sure. No problem. It's just hard working on a HOT system so we might have to drink a few beers once you get here...

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ellow I dont want to hook up with you unless your a ********* but I would be down for $4 AC fix day at your place lol. Beer and food!

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll join for the beers...if you guys can play nice with a Gen 3.

no 3rd gens allowed!!!

hope you become my neighbor.. haha.. on timberland guy has the '13, theres a couple Cobras, some guy has a baby blue 997.. we'll have a collaboration of fun.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ellow I dont want to hook up with you unless your a ********* but I would be down for $4 AC fix day at your place lol. Beer and food!
Ha...I'll only invite you knuckle-draggers over when my wife is out of the state! She's a lot better looking than I am...

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be moving back to tampa on June 10th and have a few parts I need to put on my 98 Gen 2 GTS before I start my new job on the 17th:

M&M headers
SRT10 brakes front and rear
Eibach Lowering Springs and Caps
Borla exhaust
70mm throttle bodies
Hennessey Intake

sooo where do I bring the viper, the parts, the food, and the beer :)

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm down with another mod day as long as Casey doesn't put his head through my quarter panel again! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper