Info on 3M for rocker panels.

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
The recent threads about the sandblasting of the rocker panels got me worried about the car I'm getting, so I have been looking for the 3M tape.

Anyways, I got in touch with a company called Stongard, www.stongard.com, and they sell several different kits for the SRT 10. I called them and asked about rocker panel covers, and was informed that the reason they don't have any in their kits is that with the heat generated by the side exhaust, the product shrinks and leaves the adhesive all over the rocker panel.

The rear exhaust vipers are not a problem on the sills, of course.

He told about a Gen I he did (at owner's insistence) that after less than an hour had shrunk 2 inches and left adhesive everywhere that took 2 hours a side to remove.

Per him, there is no film type protection that will work there. I can believe him. Why wouldn't they offer it if they could? Lots easier to make than some other bends in the hood area. More money to charge.

Does this agree with any SRT 10 owners that have done it to their rockers?

Dave

Ron Jones

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There definitely is some type that will work, my '93 had OEM clear film on hot side-sills that never shrank.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it on 3 Vipers, one of which is an SRT, and I believe they all get hot, especially the previous generations. That guy is full of it. No shrinkage for me (referring to 3M). I got bulk and covered the whole rocker.

NOW, I have never removed any of the 3M from the rockers to check for adhesive transfer, so ignorant to that part.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang