Information from Chrysler on 2015 Viper

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A new GT model brings a driver-selectable suspension, five-mode ESC system, and unique interior accents with Alcantara and Nappa leather seats. A TA 2.0 Special Edition model comes with a new rear wing, aerodynamic improvements to the front, and improvements in the suspension and brake system. Finally, a new Ceramic Blue Edition features an exclusive Ceramic Blue paint with black stripes and five-spoke "Rattler" wheels. New colors Stryker Purple and Yorange are new in the Viper lineup for 2015.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1409_chrysler_releases_info_on_2015_lineup.html#ixzz3CAKuOijy

The T.A. 2.0 model may be the car they use tio go back to the Ring. We will see.

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone got a pic of Yorange or Ceramic blue? Sounds interesting.

T/A 2 model sounds like it will be a beast on a road course.

Nice to finally hear some info!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest information from Automotive News:

"Viper: Engineers are planning to boost the horsepower and torque ratings of Viper's aging V-10 engine in mid-2015. They are also likely to reintroduce a convertible version then."

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest information from Automotive News:

"Viper: Engineers are planning to boost the horsepower and torque ratings of Viper's aging V-10 engine in mid-2015. They are also likely to reintroduce a convertible version then."
That is VERY interesting....

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will also mean that very few people will be buying a 2015- might as well wait for a 2015.5 and the bump.
Agreed.

I don't really understand what Dodge is trying to do with our beloved Snake...
Why would they be willing to add more to a relatively slow moving or static inventory going into the winter?
What dealer would take more cars they can't move?

Heck, maybe they will just wait until the middle of 2015 (2015.5?) to restart production...:dunno:
That would be more logical IMO.

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed.

I don't really understand what Dodge is trying to do with our beloved Snake...
Why would they be willing to add more to a relatively slow moving or static inventory going into the winter?
What dealer would take more cars they can't move?

Heck, maybe they will just wait until the middle of 2015 (2015.5?) to restart production...:dunno:
That would be more logical IMO.

Agreed. They are in a tough situation though with all those unsold units as you mentioned. So do they try to salvage the cars image with more powerful variants/vert asap and chance the masses long memory of what transpired or do they go on hiatus and hope Fiat oks the snakes return in the future?

The new Z06 has rendered the 13/14 Viper even more undesirable in the minds of the masses. Jsut peruse the internet car forums and you will see what I mean. So they HAVE to do something to make the G5 snake more desirable asap or cut their losses and pray Fiat ok's a rebirth in a few years. Im glad to hear the info coming out about the Viper now because that at least means the Viper isn't dead yet. But as you mentioned the timing may be crucial on when they bring out the improved snake. Lets hope for the best.

QUOTE=fremontcdjr;3257417]Ceramic Blue on 300 SRT

http://www.chryslerdodgejeepramoffr...sler-300-deaa55090a0a00e026178f036a7cdf3f.htm[/QUOTE]

Not sure I like this color at all much less on a Viper.

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad they couldn't just wait a short while longer and release the next version with the forced induction (if it happens?) and include the TA 2.0 tweaks. I don't race my Gen 5, so don't truly appreciate what the upgrades mean. Could be significant for those that do track the Gen 5? Love the car...hate the marketing

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS GUY NAILED IT.

I'll throw out my professional opinion as an Industrial Designer.

It's because it's ugly and outdated. There have been, now, 3 major revisions of the Corvette since the Viper debuted in '92. While each has kept certain design cues that make them 'vettes, they've been major redesigns over the c4 (which ran until '96, 4 years after the viper launch).

In '92 the Viper was extreme by comparison to the fairly tame vette and higher priced Ferraris and Porsches. It had no exterior door handles, roof or windows. no driver aids, and a freakin V-10. Even when the released the coupe in '96, it was still looked great compared to the C4 and even when the C5 hit, the viper still seemed so much more over the top that it kept it's image, all while it's ******** nature was being dilluted with subtle changes like windows, rerouting the exhaust, etc.

When the first complete redesign came in '02 it looked great, but the beastly nature of the first gen had been replaced by an almost over-refined, yet still monstrously powerful sports car. If I were to choose a Viper based on looks alone, i'd pick this generation. While it maintained certain cues of the first gen, it progressed the look very well. But over the next decade, with the progression of the Vette, 911 and almost every european sports car, even this Viper began showing it's age, and it just wasn't extreme anymore. Other v10s were hitting the market from Audi and Lambo, the definition of extreme had been pushed so far by Bugatti that the Viper (while much less expensive) seemed mundane.

So when the current gen came out, I had hoped for the complete rebirth of the car that was so needed, rather than simply the same-old, same-old look we got, this time bringing back the body lines of the first gen, but a ridiculously cartoonish hood and nose treatment. I'd have accepted a well refined gentlemen's sports car, or all-out insanity on wheels. Stylistically, we got neither. No imagination, no poster car for a 12-year-old's wall, no beast.

The first Viper was purpose built around a monster of an engine. The current, seems to merely exist until they think of something better to do with it. Yeah, it's got power, but like everyone's saying, it's not Hellcat power. So where's the insanity? In a time when a lesser family sedan can have as much HP as the first gen Viper, it's hard to think of the current viper the same way we thought of the first.

A next gen viper needs to be so over-the-top, toddlers cry at the very sight of it. If the Hellcat Charger/Challenger is going to top 700hp, the Viper needs to hit 900 minimum. 22 years of history aren't enough to lock in it's core design language the way the Vette has, for the viper to survive, it doesn't need to evolve, it needs a complete rebirth. If the next next zr-1's going to be mid-engine, do it first. The fact that the hellcats exist, tells me that the time is finally right for the Viper to get the redesign it deserves, and we can only hope they get the picture.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The new Z06 has rendered the 13/14 Viper even more undesirable in the minds of the masses. Jsut peruse the internet car forums and you will see what I mean. So they HAVE to do something to make the G5 snake more desirable asap or cut their losses and pray Fiat ok's a rebirth in a few years. Im glad to hear the info coming out about the Viper now because that at least means the Viper isn't dead yet. But as you mentioned the timing may be crucial on when they bring out the improved snake. Lets hope for the best.

That's a little hard to use as an excuse though for me. Ferraris and Lambos still sell and they are way over the price of a Z06. Not everyone cares about just the numbers, some people just like a car because it's what they want. Admittedly, it seems not enough people like the Viper compared to the diehard fans of the Euro exotics, but all the same, it's not always about getting the most for your money, sometimes it's just about getting what speaks to you. Everyone seems to think the Z06 is going to put the Viper out of business, but no one seems to think it will put 911 or 458 sales in the toilet. Seems like a bit of a double standard.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a little hard to use as an excuse though for me. Ferraris and Lambos still sell and they are way over the price of a Z06. Not everyone cares about just the numbers, some people just like a car because it's what they want. Admittedly, it seems not enough people like the Viper compared to the diehard fans of the Euro exotics, but all the same, it's not always about getting the most for your money, sometimes it's just about getting what speaks to you. Everyone seems to think the Z06 is going to put the Viper out of business, but no one seems to think it will put 911 or 458 sales in the toilet. Seems like a bit of a double standard.

I know what you are saying but no one looks at the Z06 or the Viper on the level as the 911 or 458 except a small niche in the market that value performance above the Euro flair. So yes the Z06 will be a problem for the Viper and not for the high-end marques because they are both looked at by the masses as being each others competitor. The two will be forever linked regardless of the fact that the Viper is exotic while the Z06 is not.

If it can't sell in the market that doesn't have a ZR1 in it as its direct competition then how is it going to be a good thing sales-wise with this new hi-po Z06 that will surely offer similar or superior levels of performance than our Viper at a cheaper price? IMHO this is one reason why they are upgrading the TA to 2.0 because they fully expect the Z06 to be a serious problem for the current Vipers and also possibly offering an 800hp variant. Just mho so take it with a fraction of a grain of salt.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't buy this reasoning at all. I have yet to find anyone in person (of all ages) that does not think the car is spectacular looking and wild at the same time. One could look at many places, but I think the design is not one of them.

As a side note, you guys do realize the Gen5 for both years has sold better than the Gen4's did each year. Also, if you look at the Z06 and ZR1 sales #'s of the past, you quickly realize roughly the same #'s as Viper (low). My point being, I think there are only so many people interested in high priced American made sports cars. That audience seems to only read HP #'s and straight line perf. When in reality, the buyers in the 100k segment typically want high quality and appreciate the entire car and don't get caught up in HP discussions. Unfortunately, the Viper still has much of its prior bad reputation and one of the worst dealer networks in the industry and going back to the Dodge brand does not help it in my opinion. Forget the design, HP, etc, and just go to a dealer and watch how they try to sell it to you. It is amazing any have been sold in that environment...

the hellcat on the other hand will do well in a dodge dealer because it is a language and price range they can understand with their customers. I already can see Jim Bob line in selling it because he doesn't have to speak to quality, etc, but instead just hp for a price segment that is appealing. That line of thinking just does not work as you go up in price. Put the hellcat price near 100k and you would have the same problem, those buyers would never consider that American made sedan.
THIS GUY NAILED IT.

I'll throw out my professional opinion as an Industrial Designer.

It's because it's ugly and outdated. There have been, now, 3 major revisions of the Corvette since the Viper debuted in '92. While each has kept certain design cues that make them 'vettes, they've been major redesigns over the c4 (which ran until '96, 4 years after the viper launch).

In '92 the Viper was extreme by comparison to the fairly tame vette and higher priced Ferraris and Porsches. It had no exterior door handles, roof or windows. no driver aids, and a freakin V-10. Even when the released the coupe in '96, it was still looked great compared to the C4 and even when the C5 hit, the viper still seemed so much more over the top that it kept it's image, all while it's ******** nature was being dilluted with subtle changes like windows, rerouting the exhaust, etc.

When the first complete redesign came in '02 it looked great, but the beastly nature of the first gen had been replaced by an almost over-refined, yet still monstrously powerful sports car. If I were to choose a Viper based on looks alone, i'd pick this generation. While it maintained certain cues of the first gen, it progressed the look very well. But over the next decade, with the progression of the Vette, 911 and almost every european sports car, even this Viper began showing it's age, and it just wasn't extreme anymore. Other v10s were hitting the market from Audi and Lambo, the definition of extreme had been pushed so far by Bugatti that the Viper (while much less expensive) seemed mundane.

So when the current gen came out, I had hoped for the complete rebirth of the car that was so needed, rather than simply the same-old, same-old look we got, this time bringing back the body lines of the first gen, but a ridiculously cartoonish hood and nose treatment. I'd have accepted a well refined gentlemen's sports car, or all-out insanity on wheels. Stylistically, we got neither. No imagination, no poster car for a 12-year-old's wall, no beast.

The first Viper was purpose built around a monster of an engine. The current, seems to merely exist until they think of something better to do with it. Yeah, it's got power, but like everyone's saying, it's not Hellcat power. So where's the insanity? In a time when a lesser family sedan can have as much HP as the first gen Viper, it's hard to think of the current viper the same way we thought of the first.

A next gen viper needs to be so over-the-top, toddlers cry at the very sight of it. If the Hellcat Charger/Challenger is going to top 700hp, the Viper needs to hit 900 minimum. 22 years of history aren't enough to lock in it's core design language the way the Vette has, for the viper to survive, it doesn't need to evolve, it needs a complete rebirth. If the next next zr-1's going to be mid-engine, do it first. The fact that the hellcats exist, tells me that the time is finally right for the Viper to get the redesign it deserves, and we can only hope they get the picture.

Last edited:

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. They are in a tough situation though with all those unsold units as you mentioned. So do they try to salvage the cars image with more powerful variants/vert asap and chance the masses long memory of what transpired or do they go on hiatus and hope Fiat oks the snakes return in the future? So they HAVE to do something to make the G5 snake more desirable asap or cut their losses and pray Fiat ok's a rebirth in a few years. Im glad to hear the info coming out about the Viper now because that at least means the Viper isn't dead yet.
I guess the question is do they attempt to "fix" the problem immediately or go back to the drawing board knowing what NOT to do?
If the 2015.5 becomes a reality, then their strategy is do things on the run....
Seems like Sergio has given them more time & money to get it right.;)

The new Z06 has rendered the 13/14 Viper even more undesirable in the minds of the masses. Jsut peruse the internet car forums and you will see what I mean.
Yeah, I noticed that.
I think the car will be a beast.

Lets hope for the best.
Don't worry...I am.:)

Not sure I like this color at all much less on a Viper.
Same here...it looks like a color that might be more appropriate on a VW Bug.

Too bad they couldn't just wait a short while longer and release the next version with the forced induction (if it happens?) and include the TA 2.0 tweaks.
I would prefer that route....
Unfortunately, Dodge doesn't consult me.:D

The idea of a 2015.5 could be interpreted as putting a bandaid on the problem, rather than something completely different.

Ferraris and Lambos still sell and they are way over the price of a Z06. Not everyone cares about just the numbers, some people just like a car because it's what they want. Admittedly, it seems not enough people like the Viper compared to the diehard fans of the Euro exotics, but all the same, it's not always about getting the most for your money, sometimes it's just about getting what speaks to you.
+1

Everyone seems to think the Z06 is going to put the Viper out of business, but no one seems to think it will put 911 or 458 sales in the toilet. Seems like a bit of a double standard.
The Corvette, Z06 in this instance, is and always has been the Viper's natural competitor, not European exotics.
The Vette is the only other Supercar made in America....this has always been the case during the Viper's life (excepting the short-lived Ford GT).

Both cars have been developed to rival the Europeans in performance, but that is as far as GM and Dodge can take them.
The customer base is just completely different.

I know what you are saying but no one looks at the Z06 or the Viper on the level as the 911 or 458 except a small niche in the market that value performance above the Euro flair. So yes the Z06 will be a problem for the Viper and not for the high-end marques because they are both looked at by the masses as being each others competitor. The two will be forever linked regardless of the fact that the Viper is exotic while the Z06 is not.

If it can't sell in the market that doesn't have a ZR1 in it as its direct competition then how is it going to be a good thing sales-wise with this new hi-po Z06 that will surely offer similar or superior levels of performance than our Viper at a cheaper price? IMHO this is one reason why they are upgrading the TA to 2.0 because they fully expect the Z06 to be a serious problem for the current Vipers and also possibly offering an 800hp variant. Just mho so take it with a fraction of a grain of salt.
Agreed.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a side note, you guys do realize the Gen5 for both years has sold better than the Gen4's did each year.
Not comparable...the G4 was released during the depths of the recession (2008-10).
Besides, the G4 experience lead to a 3 year hiatus for the Viper.

Also, if you look at the Z06 and ZR1 sales #'s of the past, you quickly realize roughly the same #'s as Viper (low).
Do you have a link to the Vette numbers?

the hellcat on the other hand will do well in a dodge dealer because it is a language and price range they can understand with their customers. I already can see Jim Bob line in selling it because he doesn't have to speak to quality, etc, but instead just hp for a price segment that is appealing. That line of thinking just does not work as you go up in price. Put the hellcat price near 100k and you would have the same problem, those buyers would never consider that American made sedan.
Agreed.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Maybe it's just me, but I've never thought the Porsche was on par with something like a Ferrari. Sure it has the heritage behind it, but to me the Porsche is the European equivalent of a Vette. Pretty high production numbers, several different models and tiers from basic to wildly expensive, but all largely look very similar. They just don't stand out to me. They're plain looking and in the words of Top Gear "a suped up VW Bug".

To me, Porsche is the Euro Vette and Lambo is the Euro Viper. The Lambo is/was a wild styled monster car with more power than it can use and a tendency to put its owners into the hospital. It was also a boutique supercar with limited production. That image has softened some lately as the cars have become more driver friendly and mass produced as I understand it. Reviews of their previous cars talked about how they were a handful to drive and you almost always felt scared behind the wheel. I don't want to see the Viper go the same route of becoming mass produced and "friendly", but then again I don't think the government will let it live on as the raw car of the past.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't buy this reasoning at all. I have yet to find anyone in person (of all ages) that does not think the car is spectacular looking and wild at the same time. One could look at many places, but I think the design is not one of them..

Couldn't disagree more. A cars looks are the number one, overwhelmingly important first impression a buyer gets.
And when those looks are dynamic bold, modern and innovative the performance is icing on the cake. (See C7 Z06)
The Gen V took absolutely NO risks and is paying the price for blandness. Design-wise.

NO ONE is putting Gen V pictures on their walls. Because we have seen it all before, 18 years ago.
Most Viper owners like the look, it was great THEN. It's woefully outdated now.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like someone said, you can not sell a Porterhouse steak out of a hot dog stand. Looking to buy a Viper from a NJ dealer is a joke. All are a bunch of A HOLES

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I've never thought the Porsche was on par with something like a Ferrari. Sure it has the heritage behind it, but to me the Porsche is the European equivalent of a Vette. Pretty high production numbers, several different models and tiers from basic to wildly expensive, but all largely look very similar. They just don't stand out to me. They're plain looking and in the words of Top Gear "a suped up VW Bug".
Hard to argue.

To me, Porsche is the Euro Vette and Lambo is the Euro Viper.
Hmmmm, hadn't thought of it that way before, but you do have a point.

I don't think the government will let it live on as the raw car of the past.
The Govt. won't be the problem....the market will be.

Couldn't disagree more. A cars looks are the number one, overwhelmingly important first impression a buyer gets.
And when those looks are dynamic bold, modern and innovative the performance is icing on the cake. (See C7 Z06)
The Gen V took absolutely NO risks and is paying the price for blandness. Design-wise.
Like the interior and the Aston Martin taillights, but that's about it.

Like someone said, you can not sell a Porterhouse steak out of a hot dog stand. Looking to buy a Viper from a NJ dealer is a joke. All are a bunch of A HOLES
Is Roanoke near you?
May be worth crossing statelines...

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I use your C7 example. Not a good looking car by most peoples accounts. Nobody is raving about the looks of the C7 as the enticer, just purely the perf and tech side. Same for the charger and challenger. Looks are not the driver in these cases you are listing, so thank goodness they have power. Thus why we are not agreeing.

Your last statement is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but how do you know what others are thinking? Have you driven one on the street for a full day to see peoples reactions? From personal experience, I get way way more cell phone photos/ gas station conversations, etc with the GenV than I ever did with my Gen3 and if at a location where C7's exist, they are completely ignored as if they don't exist. I in fact get the opposite of what you describe and thus why the design is the last item that needs to be addressed in my opinion.

Now, how many can afford one which goes to the sales perspective is a different story. Posters don't sell cars as much as our child hood dreams might make us think so. In fact, as sad it is, you are just as likely to see a poster of a prius or electric car vs a car period. Just not the same today. For a young person, show a picture of a manual transmission and you might as well be explaining to them how roll-up windows work.

NO ONE is putting Gen V pictures on their walls. Because we have seen it all before, 18 years ago.

Last edited:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It ain't just NJ. The vast majority of Dodge dealers have no idea how to sell a $100k+ vehicle nor deal with the buyers of such a vehicle.

Is Roanoke near you?
May be worth crossing statelines...

Yeah, but at some point, you're going to have to go back to the dealer for service, at least if your Viper is anything like the two I owned. Then you're back to steve e's point, except now you get to deal with the incompetence in the service department instead of the sales department.

The reality is that most Dodge dealers have no business selling nor servicing a $100k+ vehicle. That's not to say that there aren't a few dealers who CAN do so, but they are the exception, not the norm.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I have time I will tell you guys some of the stories on my Dealer experience they are unbelievable.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

100% agree. They stuck way too close to the gen2 car in styling. And I think the gen5 is the best looking Viper, but they should have evolved the car styling wise, not go backwards nearly 2 decades.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who "feel" the Gen V design is not good enough I suggest that you drive a black TA around for a day or two. Why? Because you do not have a clue as to what you are talking about. People go nuts over the car. But, more than 50% say " I did not know they make the Viper any more." The issue is not the design. It was piss poor marketing after the initial launch in New York. That is why people still do not know the car is even being made.

The new Vette design is hideous compared to the last design and far below the design integrity of the Gen V. Too edgy. Conflicting front and rear design elements. Cheap looking aero on the upcoming Z06, etc. The car is a design abortion. Iwill get stale very quickly.

Those who think the Gen II and the Gen V look too much alike need to actually see the cars side by side and from the front and back. Are there some similar design cues? Yes. But they are very different cars. The whole argument about a radical design change being needed is pure unadulterated BS. Look what Porsche has done with the 911 since the 1960s. The basic design is the same. It has been carefully evolved by Porsche. The same can be said for Aston Martin and the Mercedes coupe.

The continuous bashing of the Gen V by some allegedly loyal members of the Viper Nation is very suspicious to me. I doubt their motives and their loyalty.