Installing k & n

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My friend he has a viper 2009 with headers and belanger cats with mopar PCM, but with stock intake system. And he wants to install k&n intake system, but does he need to retune or reprogramme the mopar PCM ?

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is no need to reprogram. Just remove the stock intake and replace with the K&N cold intake. I did that on my 2008 Viper and it takes about one hour and does not require any mechanical skills. I am not sure if it adds significant HP.

Reaction score
The guys at SRT have said many times that the stock air box is the best it can be and with the ram air effect and extra pressure the filter sees in this condition the stock element is your safest option. Also the potential for an oily contamination of the sensors can be a problem over time. FWIW.

Reaction score
Mark, have you seen this in the shop?

We have seen this on some of the new Rams etc. that have been fitted with K&N's, they are very sensitive nowadays. I have not seen any Vipers with this filter so Im going on what the SRT engineers have told me.

OP
OP
V

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So is it better if I reinstall the factory intake box for better performance ?
Or is there any aftermarket intake system better than K&n for gen 4 ?

Reaction score
My recommendation is that you keep the air box and filter element stock, any small advantage there appears to be on the dyno will be lost at speed when the system needs to be stable and gets the pressure or the ram effect on it.

So is it better if I reinstall the factory intake box for better performance ?
Or is there any aftermarket intake system better than K&n for gen 4 ?

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark - is there similar concern for a kn kit on a gen 3? The air box is left in place but the tube/ filter elements are swapped.

Reaction score
Mark - is there similar concern for a kn kit on a gen 3? The air box is left in place but the tube/ filter elements are swapped.

No they are a little different and there is not that much ram effect at speed, plus the filters are not a panel design that could collapse/unseal.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My recommendation is that you keep the air box and filter element stock, any small advantage there appears to be on the dyno will be lost at speed when the system needs to be stable and gets the pressure or the ram effect on it.

Which begs the question "where can you buy a Gen 4 OEM filter element?"

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the KN filters on my 08. The car kept tripping CEL codes and going into "limp mode"... on the track!!!!..:omg:

Per Marks' suggestion, I put the OEM filters back in. Car ran GREAT. No more CEL codes.

It seems that the oil in the KN filters can play havoc on the sensors. this problem was confirmed when I got caught out in the rain and the car would barely start..

Last edited:

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It shows that there are 9 on backorder right now, but if one is ordered overnight you would probably be assigned one quickly. Part number is 53126319 and they retail for $41.45.

I ordered one almost 5 months ago and has been on back order the whole time. Really can't believe you can't buy an air filter for a 2008 car. VPA finally ordered a K&N for me but really hesitant to use it after reading above posts.

Reaction score
Hang on and I will see if there is anyway to get a few released. I see there are 9 on back order right now so it seems like a reasonable request to find a few somewhere and fill these request. I will let you know if I can help in a little bit, don't go out and buy the K&N just yet.

Thanks,

I ordered one almost 5 months ago and has been on back order the whole time. Really can't believe you can't buy an air filter for a 2008 car. VPA finally ordered a K&N for me but really hesitant to use it after reading above posts.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
marvelous, i just bought a k/n for my acr-x, this is the first time in my life i have used a aftermarket airfilter and now i read this.....lol- is it a definate party foul to use these?????

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hang on and I will see if there is anyway to get a few released. I see there are 9 on back order right now so it seems like a reasonable request to find a few somewhere and fill these request. I will let you know if I can help in a little bit, don't go out and buy the K&N just yet.

Thanks,

Mark,

That would be great. Thanks

Ron

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
marvelous, i just bought a k/n for my acr-x, this is the first time in my life i have used a aftermarket airfilter and now i read this.....lol- is it a definate party foul to use these?????

I'm two miles away from you.... All you had to do was ask..... :dunno:

Besides, I could have sold you the one of my car....;)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW...

I also tried removing the rain deflector in the hood scoop thinking it would create better air flow.
Works great on my 06 but throws inconsistent CEL codes on my 08.

Mark J. called that one too....:2tu:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track car perspective-I have removed both the rain guard and the OEM filter (using K&N), but I have DCP heads & intake and race exhaust too, so I am going for maximum flow...not too worried about the sensors needing to be cleaned, I do it regularly anyway. I also don't overdo it on the oil, just cover it, not more. I actually have 2 K&N's and sometimes I will swap them overnight/daily when doing TT for maximum gain. It can get dusty on the track. If I go through one cloud of someone's dust, I change or clean the filter. I would go through about a dozen OEM filters a year, and I don't think the paper filters particles as effectively as K&N. As it is, I go through about 2-3 cleaning kits a year. 5000 track miles and still ticking. I don't recommend K&N for street use. Based on the above posts, some of these cars are more sensitive than others so if in doubt and you don't need to change as often as me, I recommend OEM.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track car perspective-I have removed both the rain guard and the OEM filter (using K&N), but I have DCP heads & intake and race exhaust too, so I am going for maximum flow...not too worried about the sensors needing to be cleaned, I do it regularly anyway. I also don't overdo it on the oil, just cover it, not more. I actually have 2 K&N's and sometimes I will swap them overnight/daily when doing TT for maximum gain. It can get dusty on the track. If I go through one cloud of someone's dust, I change or clean the filter. I would go through about a dozen OEM filters a year, and I don't think the paper filters particles as effectively as K&N. As it is, I go through about 2-3 cleaning kits a year. 5000 track miles and still ticking. I don't recommend K&N for street use. Based on the above posts, some of these cars are more sensitive than others so if in doubt and you don't need to change as often as me, I recommend OEM.

I believe your last sentence is very accurate.

I say this because I am running BBG ported heads and intake, headers, one race muffler and no cats.
All connected with 3" custom stainless pipe.

A very similar set up to yours, but like I described above, I couldn't drive 50 miles, much less 5000.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,
I would also like to order an air filter for an 08 vert. If they are that hard to come by I better place the order now! Woodhouse the best place to order?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Woodhouse would be able to give you a VCA Venom discount, and so would Viper Parts of America for sure. I don't know of any dealers that stock Viper parts, they are all coming from the same warehouse as far as I know. I know you want to support site Sponsors, but for this $20 part I doubt they care...like an oil filter (changed yours lately?)..You can order from your local dealer and maybe save shipping costs, but pay sales tax. Prob won't get a VCA discount.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62