Insurance

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Progressive just doubled my rate for six months of insurance on the Viper, from $700 to $1400. This is ridiculous and I am going to switch. My motorcycle is insured with Foremost, which is partnered with Farmers, so I will get a discount if I insure my cars with them as well.

However, is there any specialty insurance for the Viper? I don't drive it too often so it doesn't make sense to have normal coverage on it.

I know insurance prices vary by driving record, age, location, etc, but what insurance companies are you guys using? If anything my insurance should have gone down cause the one ticket I had dropped off in October after 3 years, so I now get the "safe driver" discount.

- Anthony

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few "specialty/collector" insurers that may offer you coverage at a severe discount, BUT, they will limit your annual mileage and use.

Haggarty is one.
Hagerty

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allstate NJ does my 08 and i pay exactly 1500.00 per year (good driving record )

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try the geico website.. It gives u the most options as far as coverage ... you can opt out of things like theft coverage and so on if there is no lien on the car... u can also increase u're liability if you hurt someone.....i pay $400 every six months... my car just got hit by a semi tire and they wrote me a check for 9K while they pursue payment recovery

Reaction score
Most of the people down here don't drive with insurance.

Allstate for me $700.00 every 6-months ($1,400 year) full coverage and upper limits.
Clean driving record and high credit score.

Did your credit score do down? A lot of companies are using credit scoring.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try the geico website.. It gives u the most options as far as coverage ... you can opt out of things like theft coverage and so on if there is no lien on the car... u can also increase u're liability if you hurt someone.....i pay $400 every six months... my car just got hit by a semi tire and they wrote me a check for 9K while they pursue payment recovery

Second vote for Geico--despite their annoying commercials, they're a decent company. I pay just under $700/year on my Viper, including comprehensive, with the multi-car discount and clean driving record...

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Grundy Car collector insurance and it's approx. $900/yr, insuring my car for $80K. No mileage stipulations. Must be kept in garage (who doesn't keep a Viper in a garage?), will not cover racing events (obviously). So basically if you don't screw up at the track you're covered and you can insure your car for whatever you want. Never had to use it (and hopefully won't) so I can't give feedback on that end but I've heard good things from others.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Grundy Car collector insurance and it's approx. $900/yr, insuring my car for $80K. No mileage stipulations. Must be kept in garage (who doesn't keep a Viper in a garage?), will not cover racing events (obviously). So basically if you don't screw up at the track you're covered and you can insure your car for whatever you want. Never had to use it (and hopefully won't) so I can't give feedback on that end but I've heard good things from others.

Grundy told me I can use my Viper for high performance driving schools/events so long as they weren't time events. :dunno:

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grundy told me I can use my Viper for high performance driving schools/events so long as they weren't time events. :dunno:

I do remember reading something referencing "timed events" but I don't know. I would recommend getting that in writing for cya.

viperv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill be switching over to Grundy 1st of the year. Got a quote of 650 a year for the viper and vette

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use to have Progressive but they woundn't insure my Lamborghini and I had to switch to Allstate. Before Progressive I had AIG and had to switch to Progressive because AIG would not insure my first Viper. Insurance companies are such a rip off.

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another vote here for Geico. I have my bodily injury liability limits jacked up to $300,000 per person and incident for both vehicles (05 Viper and 08 Accord coupe)and my property damage liability set at $100,000 and pay $1000 for both cars every 6 months. The Viper is actually cheaper then my accord by about $40 per 6 months and I live in a city with a decent amount of crime, so the rates could be much better if I lived in a smaller town. Geico prices their rates different from town to town depending on crime rates and the rate of claims made per capita. Geico also has a $1,000,000 umbrella policy they offered to me for $250 a year which covers everything, and will even take effect before my homeowners insurance if somoeone hurts themselves on my propery and sues me. This is a great rate as I own a 4 unit house and am a cop, so I'm at a pretty high libility risk and have been denied umbrella policies in the past.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have State Farm and am getting treated very right at $174 every 6 Months. Full coverage $500 deduct.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have State Farm and am getting treated very right at $174 every 6 Months. Full coverage $500 deduct.

DAMN!!! Has there ever been an auto accident in your town? That is CHEAP!!

I'm also looking to switch. Been with NationWide for several years. We're paying over $600 every 6 months for just the Viper. This includes the typical $100k/300k, medical payments, $1k deductible for comprehensive and collision, and towing, $50k Property Damage, and $50k Uninsured Motorists.

Just went on-line and received several quotes. Haggerty quoted me $1050/year. Better than NationWide, but not by much. Geico looks to be the winner. $52.89/mo or $634/year for the SAMnE coverage. Grundys did not have an online quote feature. All other insurance quotes from the top companies(AllState, Progressive, E-Insurance, etc) were all about the same or higher than my current rate.

Others will have different results. I am 34, married, no accidents, and no tickets(on record anyway :D).

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use to have Progressive but they woundn't insure my Lamborghini and I had to switch to Allstate. Before Progressive I had AIG and had to switch to Progressive because AIG would not insure my first Viper. Insurance companies are such a rip off.

You own a Lamborghini and can't pony up enough money to join the VCA and your calling insurance companies a rip off? :omg: Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put this up in the gen 2 forum but definitely applies here too. Hope this helps. The discounts are not only for multi cars...

Try classifying your Viper under the "show car" insurance classification.. Many ins. companies have this category but probably won't suggest it... My ins. co.'s requirements are;
-drive 4000 miles or less a year
-get car appraised.
-photo

- I listed the s/c, nos and all the extras on my 01 GTS
- Also listed "Custom Street Serpent body" on my 06 cpe.
- And "mildly modified" on the slate 06 cpe.

Best part, Now I am insured for all the mods. and value of all three modified cars. Believe it or not, my bill for insuring the three cars is just a little more than I was previosly paying for one car per year...

I have several friends with this same ins. classification on one viper and they get a discount also

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting, I sent an e-mail to my agent at Farmers, we will see what he says about that.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This includes the typical $100k/300k, medical payments, $1k deductible for comprehensive and collision, and towing, $50k Property Damage, and $50k Uninsured Motorists.

100/300 limits are not typical for anyone with any money. Do you have a home? An investment portfolio (though that may not be worth much anymore!)? Any other assets? 100/300 limits are not enough by a huge margin. And $50k limits on property damage? What if you are at fault in an accident that totals the other guy's late model Viper, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.? $50k will come up short very quickly.

And that doesn't even address the issue of uninsured motorist insurance. You can't have any more of that than your liability limits. If you get turned into a quadiplegic by an uninsured drunk, is your $50k in UM benefits going to be enough to pay your bills for the rest of your life?

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do elaborate on this FULL coverage. Sure car insurance premiums are location specific but I would imagine when State Farm starts offering FULL coverage with decent limits ie., 500,000+ Liability, 500,000+ UM, 200,000+ PD, 25,000+ PIP, 500 comp/collision deductibles for $174 every 6 months for a Viper they'll be more than a few making the switch.;)

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do elaborate on this FULL coverage. Sure car insurance premiums are location specific but I would imagine when State Farm starts offering FULL coverage with decent limits ie., 500,000+ Liability, 500,000+ UM, 200,000+ PD, 25,000+ PIP, 500 comp/collision deductibles for $174 every 6 months for a Viper they'll be more than a few making the switch.;)

Sure. My coverage is 100,000/300,000 Liability included is Comprehensive & Collision, 100,000 Property Damage, it also has Bodily Injury/ Property Damage Liability, Medical Payments, Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists. I would have to call my agent or get the actual policy out at home tonight to give you any other details on those last items as I just took the info off my insurance card in my wallet just now and that just has basic info on it. My deductable is $500. This also includes accident free discounts, multi-car discounts, and multi-line discounts (Home ins. there too). I am also 40 and married.

I have an Liabilty umbrella policy as well.

If you would like my agents number I am sure he would'nt mind a another client.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I have so far:

Travelers:

'92 VW Corrado - $200.00 every 6 months
'03 Dodge Viper - $515.00 every 6 months

Geico:

'92 VW Corrado - $509.40
'03 Dodge Viper - $504.95

Travelers is with $500,000 CSL, Geico is 300/500.

I am going to check with State Farm, Farmers (I have my motorcycle insurance with Foremost, so I should get a multi-policy discount), and perhaps Allstate as well. I'll give the two specialty insurances a call as well for the Viper. Although for $500/6 months, that's not too bad. Much better than the $1400 that Progressive wanted to charge!

- Anthony

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT GO WITH TRAVELERS!!! They are the worst company by far and never pay out. I am STILL going back and forth with them over a year later!!

Here is what I have so far:

Travelers:

'92 VW Corrado - $200.00 every 6 months
'03 Dodge Viper - $515.00 every 6 months

Geico:

'92 VW Corrado - $509.40
'03 Dodge Viper - $504.95

Travelers is with $500,000 CSL, Geico is 300/500.

I am going to check with State Farm, Farmers (I have my motorcycle insurance with Foremost, so I should get a multi-policy discount), and perhaps Allstate as well. I'll give the two specialty insurances a call as well for the Viper. Although for $500/6 months, that's not too bad. Much better than the $1400 that Progressive wanted to charge!

- Anthony

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT GO WITH TRAVELERS!!! They are the worst company by far and never pay out. I am STILL going back and forth with them over a year later!!

Agreed, Traveler's *****! They dropped me a long time ago after I wrecked my Honda, got a ticket for speeding at 98mph, following too close, reckless driving and failure to pull over. :D When I totaled the Honda, I swear they sent the check the next day and IMMEDIATELY said "Good Bye". They really hurt my feelings.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed, Traveler's *****! They dropped me a long time ago after I wrecked my Honda, got a ticket for speeding at 98mph, following too close, reckless driving and failure to pull over. :D When I totaled the Honda, I swear they sent the check the next day and IMMEDIATELY said "Good Bye". They really hurt my feelings.

So who do you have now for an insurance company.:dunno: