Intake Gasket Failure? Advice Needed...

Reaction score
Many 96 & some 97 Vipers had defective intake manifold gaskets. Since that time Chrysler has re-designed the gaskets and recommends they be changed. I believe there was a TSB on this subject, but I can't find it. Unless you have a extended warranty, I doubt the will replace them for free.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your intake gasket is a possibility for the cause of the catalitic convertors overheating. I have however, witnessed the cats overheating without this. I shall assume the car was idling for a period of time. Maybe after a recent full power run. It is prudent to check the EGO sensor values including grounding etc. in the faulted exhaust side. Something is responsible for overfueling your cats.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimDavis MT 97GTS 650R:
Many 96 & some 97 Vipers had defective intake manifold gaskets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction....... NO 1996s had a TSB covering I/M gaskets. Very few failed, in fact. Beginning w/ MY 1997 Motors, and thru 11/18/1997 only, the gaskets were failing due to improper construction, and waterproofing. They Failed faster in wet/humid climates or on frequently-washed cars. CAAP began using the new gaskets on 11/19/97 and the TSB recommended a retrofit, even without symptoms.

The gasket failure causes a LEAN ssituation, which the PCM/ECU tries to corrcet by adding fuel. Cats can overheat bigtime. But as Wood-man sez...I have also seen this for other obscure reasons