Intake Manifold Bolts

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, my Roe Racing red silicone heater hose kit is sitting on my breakfast room table, along with a new thermostat. I figured it would be a fun(?) project to work on tonight to wind down from the weekend.

I ran into a snag that I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to fix. No, it's not that "quick" connect fuel line - I managed to remove that without any tools on my 5th try. The problem is I got down to the part where I have to remove the 20 bolts. Since I have a torx bit socket set I figured that was no problem. However, the socket is too wide to fit into the narrow openings in the manifold and the bit is too short to reach <sigh>.

Does anyone know what size the torx bit is that I will need to remove the bolts? I don't want to have to buy a whole set, since I already have the short ones, and I'll probably only need the long reach version for this. Unless someone can point me to a Home Depot or AutoZone that is open at 11:00 p.m. on a Sunday night I'll have to wait until tomorrow to complete this project.

On another note, I searched for the answer to the following question and couldn't find anything. I removed the battery for one of my "25 things to do to the car" this weekend to replace it with a Diehard. I didn't install the new battery right away because I wanted to hose off some things and was going to do that part last. Besides, the first step in removing the intake manifold is to disconnect the battery. I quickly found out that the door will not open with no battery. That became a problem when I tried to remove the windshield cowl (two screws on the sides).

Apparently there is a manual emergency release for the doors on the GTS in the trunk but I sure cannot find one on my RT/10. How does one open the door on an RT if you have a dead battery or no battery at all?

BTW, the battery I swapped out was the original on my '99 RT/10 with 16,800 miles. It was still going strong but I figured why risk it any longer. Anyone else get nearly 8 years use out of their original battery?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size the torx bit is that I will need to remove the bolts?.
This is the excuse you needed to buy the set!! :cool: Never buy separates, always buy the set unless you have to replace a lost socket/bit.

According to my Torx bit set and my '00 Viper, a T30 Torx bit fits both the manifold and the valve covers.
Apparently there is a manual emergency release for the doors on the GTS in the trunk but I sure cannot find one on my RT/10. How does one open the door on an RT if you have a dead battery or no battery at all?
The manual release lever is on the same place on the RTs.
BTW, the battery I swapped out was the original on my '99 RT/10 with 16,800 miles. It was still going strong but I figured why risk it any longer. Anyone else get nearly 8 years use out of their original battery?
30k miles on my '00 on the original battery.

OP
OP
R

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got the intake bolts off with a 7/16 socket (3/8") with 12" extension with no problem
Hmm...now that it's daylight and I'm also a bit more awake I've had time to study it a little better. It does appear that you can remove the bolts with either a torx bit or a regular socket.

Before I read the replies I drove to 6 stores today looking for a torx bit socket set with a long shaft. I've come to the conclusion that they are about as rare as an automatic transmission in a Viper. I googled a set online last night and was going to order one when I decided to check back here first.

Although you said 7/16" I thought just about everything on the car was metric. Anyway, I found that an 11mm socket fits pretty snug. I just have to go back to the store now and get a long extension for a 1/4" drive. That sure beats having to wait for 3-4 days for a mail order part. Thanks for the replies, guys.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, just bring your car over and I'll help you out!!! Full garage of tools and books. Whoops maybe switch your low miles for my 57,000 miles. Check out pics myy 99 BLK on BLK ser#502790

OP
OP
R

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ray, a journey like that might put me over my 2,000 miles per year average that I'm trying to maintain. ;)

After going with an 11mm socket and a 1/4 inch drive I was able to remove the manifold without much trouble. I have the old thermostat out, all 10 plugs replaced and 1/2 of the plug wires. I figure I have to save a few things for tomorrow.

My wife is up your way right at this moment on a 14-day Alaskan cruise. Say hi for me if you happen to see her. Also, tell her that no, I didn't wait until I finished the garage before I started working on the car. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery