Intake Upgrade?

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I see I still don't show up as a memeber. Wonder how long that will take :dunno:

I have the stock intake tubes and a paper filter. I have 2002 RT/10. What would be my best choice for intake, bearing in mind that cost IS an object?

I've been thinking of just smooth tubes and a K&N filter, but wasn't sure if there was something better now-a-days. Thanks

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Currently for any Viper there isn't much in the way of a REAL cold air intake system. I will not buy that this tiny little air box has enough air volume to support this huge motor. Even if it did, the filters are too small.

The best you can do for now is just smooth tubes and high flow air filters. The Vipair *MAY* be a little better.

Back to my hole to make my own intake system. I'll post pics when I get it done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I expect a noticeable (fixed spelling) increase in power from doing this or only enough to be noticed in my times at the track?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never seen a dyno of just this mod. I doubt you get any measureable improvement. If I had it to do over again, I would start with improved engine management, e.g. VEC3 from Roe. You will get a real improvement that you can really feel. Of course, I'd still end up with roller rockers, supercharger, high flow cats, cat back exhaust, etc. :D

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about a Gen2, but we did a before/after dyno run on my Gen1 with smooth tubes and K&N filters. It was a same day dyno run. The tubes and filters gave me a 35RWHP increase on the dyno. This was on a stock Gen1.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought "intake" was reserved for intake manifolds..Not singling you out yogibayer, but it's really an engine term, not an airbox tract term. At least in previous useage over the years.

D

DAMN YANKEE

My O2....

Smooth tubes and high flo filters will do the job for most set-ups and as importantly keep your car running in a heavy rain. Unless you are going the HEAVY positive induction route, its a great solution.

As to what simple mods gives you real seat-of-the pants differences....I put roller rockers near the top of the list when added to a stock car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang