Interesting Info taken from the Engineer Forum on Sept 19th

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you all know the engineer Q&A session was September 19th. I managed to squeeze in many questions and found it very helpful. It seems that were many questions or myths out there answered... I managed to copy all the Q&A into a Word doc to read and here are some comments and answers I found interesting.

Keep in mind I am just abbreviating their comments and answers. I am simply the messenger here.

LETS BEGIN -

GTS Blue, Snakeskin Green and Venom Red are all in the first run of cars.

Brochures will be out soon...

Doesnt sound like there is going to be a ACR or special version.

They eluded to the fact that Mopar will be producing some sort of body kit for the Viper.

Apparantly the engineers were just as surprised as us to see the Z06 kept pace with the new Viper in some of the mags. Quote, "That comparison turned out a little different when we ran the two cars! Wait until you see some real world match-ups...."

Apprantely 3.07 were installed to maximize fuel efficiency. They do elude to the fact that the car is geared too tall.

2008 there will be a noticable reduction in heat in the cabin. The 08 hood vents were moved to help cure the heat problem.

The stock plugs are decent but you can find a better upgrade but be sure to get the proper heat range. Stock wires are decent.

They point out that ALL vehicles have wheel hop and if it is excessive, check your suspension.

Weather below freezing could pose a problem for cars with after market lower thermostats.

The Viper did set a record for C&D at VIR and beat the Z06 by more than a second with C&D driving. Fall testing will be even faster.

2008 oil pump flows 20% more that the 03-06.

Engineers feel average driveline loss on dyno is 12-15%.

Chassis dyno noise can be interpreted as knock by the ECU and it will pull out spark and add fuel so don't always believe what you see there on the dyno. Could make tuning more difficult.

Engineer Quote, "If I were doing alot of "street/light competition" i"d use a 3.55 or 3.73. Remember nvh and fuel consumption will tank!"

Inside diameter of new header is 1.5 to maximize torque.

The ECU does not need time to adapt to mods. It is constantly adapting in closed loop- part throttle and below 4000. In open loop - full throttle - it is set and does not vary. That is why a tune is important with mods.

No longer taking GTS Blue orders, because they want to make sure they get in all eight colors this year.

Every Viper has both traction control and ESP....just look straight down.......

The Comp Coupe and '06 street Viper have the same front engine mounts. However, the 2008 Viper has stiffer front mounts to handle the new powertrain. 08 mounts will fit in 03-06.

Mopar is looking into fitting the new twin disk clutch for 03-06 cars.

The only difference in the '08 seats is the addition of Occupant Classification System hardware. Seating position is the same as 2006

Finally-

Elvis works in our cal group........and we're always on the lookout for good bodies.....

Well I hope this helps. If you want details you can always go back to the engineer forum.

Enjoy.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed one that seems interesting.

The engineers mentioned that you need the original schrader cap on to reset the pressure sensors. Supposedly it transmits the signal? Can anyone confirm> I still am skepital about it. I mayself had problems reseting the sensors when I got the HREs. I still have the low tire light on.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Apparently 3.07 were installed to maximize fuel efficiency. They do elude to the fact that the car is geared too tall."

"Engineer Quote, 'If I were doing alot of street/light competition i'd use a 3.55 or 3.73. Remember nvh and fuel consumption will tank!"

"Inside diameter of new header is 1.5 to maximize torque."

putting it all together: The V10 is tuned for torque to cope with the tall 3.07 gears that were chosen to mitigate the gas-chugging of the V10. Sounds to me that headers for more peak hp, and shorter rear gears (3.33 would be my choice), would be the better performance set-up. So fuel/mile usage would go up, but I expect that from a V10 beast ... and more "nvh" would just be a bonus :D

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apprantely 3.07 were installed to maximize fuel efficiency. They do elude to the fact that the car is geared too tall.

Engineer Quote, "If I were doing alot of "street/light competition" i"d use a 3.55 or 3.73. Remember nvh and fuel consumption will tank!"
FINALLY! Some real chatter from the horse's mouth to back up us short gear lovers! :) Especially interesting to hear the 3.73 number. :smirk: Thank you for the report.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 3:73 gears wow very nice but a bit to low I think. I an going to change to a Quailfe rearend for better traction and handling.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked about the electronic throttle body and how they can interfere with what you actual expected...but I got no answer. I don't like drive-by-wire. If I smash the throttle, I expect full throttle. The 2008 will have these electronic dirve by wire things...I don't like it.

I do not know if they will interfere on the Viper...and no one answers the question.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris I posted my summary to give others a simple review. Specifics are there for all to see. I apologize if this was taken the wrong way. Just trying to help others like me who didnt participate. Those Engineer forums are invaluable to us here !

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris I posted my summary to give others a simple review. Specifics are there for all to see. I apologize if this was taken the wrong way. Just trying to help others like me who didn't participate. Those Engineer forums are invaluable to us here !
No worries at all and thanks for posting this for sure! We just didn't want people to think that unless they cut-and-pasted it to a Word doc at the time that we would "hide" it from them after the fact. I think some folks were under the wrong impression that unless they participated they wouldn't get to see what questions were asked. We leave 'em up there as they continue to be some of the most popular threads on our site!

Thanks again for the post,

Chris

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris.

By creating this post, I was hoping to start some conversation about the engineer forum since there was not much talk about it afterwards. There was a bunch of important points that the engineers made and wanted to be sure all were clued in.

What other clubs get the car engineers actually answering questions - I am sure the answer is 0. You guys do a great job. Keep it up and keep the engineers talking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4