Interesting noise I heard today

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I worried about a "cloink" sound once on my GEN 1 and called the Wizard, he asked if it sounded a little like somebody is smashig with a hammer on the chassis, once in reverse and once in forward. it was and he told me not to worry, this is normal. But to be sure I had to check the torque of a couple of bolts. It still does it some bits, but I barely notice it.

When you hear it very good...you're driving too slow!

This thread appears to have gone quite so I hope the OP does not mind if I hijack it.

The noise that Roy, the OP and a few others have mentioned is similar to a noise I am trying to track down on my '00 GTS. Roy's description is the closest to the noise mine is producing. However, I will say it is not the typical metal to metal high pitched ping but more of a dull creaking pop. The noise is definitely coming from the rear, as I had a helper listen outside of the car to verify. I will hear the noise in reverse just as I am letting the clutch out near to the top of the pedal, right when there is the most torque transfer in the drive line. I will also hear the noise under an aggressive down shifting but I have never really noticed it moving forward or up shifting.

I purchased the car five months ago and it has done it ever since. I recently changed both drive shaft u-joints, replaced the motor and transmission mounts, and during so I inspected all the bushings and ball joints (greased all zerks) of the rear suspension. I suppose the next step is to check the differential mounts and check the torque on all the bolts? I assume that if my noise is the same as Roy's then there is nothing to do but tell passengers (and myself) that "it's normal, it's a Dodge?" :smirk:

Last edited:
OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread appears to have gone quite so I hope the OP does not mind if I hijack it.

The noise that Roy, the OP and a few others have mentioned is similar to a noise I am trying to track down on my '00 GTS. Roy's description is the closest to the noise mine is producing. However, I will say it is not the typical metal to metal high pitched ping but more of a dull creaking pop. The noise is definitely coming from the rear, as I had a helper listen outside of the car to verify. I will hear the noise in reverse just as I am letting the clutch out near to the top of the pedal, right when there is the most torque transfer in the drive line. I will also hear the noise under an aggressive down shifting but I have never really noticed it moving forward or up shifting.

I purchased the car five months ago and it has done it ever since. I recently changed both drive shaft u-joints, replaced the motor and transmission mounts, and during so I inspected all the bushings and ball joints (greased all zerks) of the rear suspension. I suppose the next step is to check the differential mounts and check the torque on all the bolts? I assume that if my noise is the same as Roy's then there is nothing to do but tell passengers (and myself) that "it's normal, it's a Dodge?" :smirk:

Hijack away. I haven't been able to investigate the noise further since the snow has fallen and the car is asleep for the winter. Something tells me that the noise has always been there (for me) and I just noticed it on that particular day. I am still going to have my local Viper tech re-torque some things and if the noise is still there then I will know.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tighten everything on the rear. Everything. Cheap starting point short of some big tools that you may not own for some of the bigger nuts.

Thanks Dave. :) We have a Viper Tech day coming up in the spring. Thats when i'm gonna have my Viper Tech do some more re-torquing. :2tu:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another possibility...I actually had a similar "noise" coming out of my rear left area (with my '95 RT), and drove it over to see Eddie Martin (our Phoenix Viper Tech at Bill Luke Dodge). After a quick spin around the block, and hearing it for himself, Eddie felt strongly that it was the wheel hub that was causing it. I never had it repaired, since I had sold it before then, but that may be one area that you want to check out...

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shortly after I bought my car, I sometimes (10-20%) had a loud bang come from the LR when pulling off from stops. I mentioned it to the tech who was doing something else to the car and he retorqued all the bolts in the rear like Dave suggested. He said one was only "finger tight". All has been well since then.

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call the Wizard, I had a similar experience and he walked me thru
all the possibilities.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it might be the U-Joints. I am able to recreate the noise I was heard going forward AND backwards. Hopefully running the car up to my Viper Tech tomorrow for further investigation. It's also getting louder and now at times I am hearing it from right underneath my shifter. Fingers crossed. :dunno:

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the exactly same noise as sapphirebob,its getting real loud now and it sounds for others thats a crappy car when i start off forward or backward :crazy2:

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

So I made the trip up to my Viper tech today and he went over the car with a torque wrench. Diff. mounting bolts, A-arm bolts, engine and tranny mounts, U-Joints etc. The noise I was hearing is still there. It has also seemed to change on me. Maybe it has always been that way and i'm just noticing it more since i'm paying more attention to it? I notice it going forward and backwards. I hear it just as first gear is catching. Now here is the funny thing about it. Hopefully you can follow this...When I let off the clutch slowly I hear the noise but if I let off the clutch quickly (not like i'm trying to do a quarter mile run, just going at a normal pace in traffic) it doesn't make the noise. So i'm at a loss. QuickSRT10/SRT8 had a Viper that did the same thing and all was fine so i'm thinking it's normal. Anyway...not sure what else it could be. Got a call in to "The Wizard" for tomorrow to see if he can come up with anything else. Any other suggestions....keep them coming.

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

So I made the trip up to my Viper tech today and he went over the car with a torque wrench. Diff. mounting bolts, A-arm bolts, engine and tranny mounts, U-Joints etc. The noise I was hearing is still there. It has also seemed to change on me. Maybe it has always been that way and i'm just noticing it more since i'm paying more attention to it? I notice it going forward and backwards. I hear it just as first gear is catching. Now here is the funny thing about it. Hopefully you can follow this...When I let off the clutch slowly I hear the noise but if I let off the clutch quickly (not like i'm trying to do a quarter mile run, just going at a normal pace in traffic) it doesn't make the noise. So i'm at a loss. QuickSRT10/SRT8 had a Viper that did the same thing and all was fine so i'm thinking it's normal. Anyway...not sure what else it could be. Got a call in to "The Wizard" for tomorrow to see if he can come up with anything else. Any other suggestions....keep them coming.

Same noise as mine even the taking off from a stop difference. I have checked everything and still no solution. My 2000 has 48k miles now and it has done it for nearly 5k miles with track time included during my last year of ownership.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same noise as mine even the taking off from a stop difference. I have checked everything and still no solution. My 2000 has 48k miles now and it has done it for nearly 5k miles with track time included during my last year of ownership.

Thanks for the feedback Bexar80. Maybe "The Wizard" will have something else for me to check but i'm thinking it's normal for my car now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960