Interesting video about future collectilbility of Viper

Slug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This appeared in the Haggerty newsletter this month.

Drew Alcazar of Russo and Steele talks about one of his favorite cars, the Dodge Viper, and discusses the market for the car responsible for "the resurgence of American muscle."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfMGwMFMUDA&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Hagerty%20Weekly%20News%2009-18-2013

The other factor not mentioned is low production numbers. Appreciation will be innevitable. I honestly hope the Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars stay off the collectors radar a bit longer. I want to enjoy mine as a great car/experience that it is. Not an investment to coddle over.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good find, thx for posting. I tend to agree with his views, but I think you're safe in hoping that they stay off the radar for a while......kids who were 10 (and looking at all those car mag covers) in 92 are only 31 today.....it'll be another 10-15 years before they're old enough to have accumulated the assets to support investing beaucoup in a car of their childhood.....assuming they haven't been influenced by Fast & Furious and have become ricer fans ;-)

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They will increase in value... Low production, and lets be honest. Even by todays standards the First generation Vipers still have alot of juice and can hold their own. And the styling... Timeless!!!

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the last couple of weeks, I have contemplated offering mine for sale. 99 ACR w/ 1,090 miles. I'd let it go for what I paid.

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will increase in value... Low production, and lets be honest. Even by todays standards the First generation Vipers still have alot of juice and can hold their own. And the styling... Timeless!!!

Last monday I had a trackday at the Nurburgring. Lot of Porsche GT3's, Lotus, Merc SLS and even a McLaren MP4.
They've made an online article about that day and see which car they used to start with..

http://www.dftrackdays.nl/reports/f...-en-trackday-nordschleife-22-en-23-september/

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use to want to keep the miles down on mine, but i say the hell with that. Can't take a low mileage car with you to the grave. Drive the car the way it was meant to be driven!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it's 20 years since the introduction of the Viper and a iconic first year Gen 1 might bring 25K now if it has low mileage. Guess it depends on how you define "future". Don't bank on it for your retirement.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it's 20 years since the introduction of the Viper and a iconic first year Gen 1 might bring 25K now if it has low mileage. Guess it depends on how you define "future". Don't bank on it for your retirement.
Hopefully people have a retirement established before they buy a Viper… Had to take care of the kids college fund, house and retirement before I even considered one.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good find, thx for posting. I tend to agree with his views, but I think you're safe in hoping that they stay off the radar for a while......kids who were 10 (and looking at all those car mag covers) in 92 are only 31 today.....it'll be another 10-15 years before they're old enough to have accumulated the assets to support investing beaucoup in a car of their childhood.....assuming they haven't been influenced by Fast & Furious and have become ricer fans ;-)

Are you kidding me? I bought my 1st Viper at age 24....that was 16 years ago. I dodnt have mommy and daddy to but it for me. To say that someone needs to be in 40+ years old to buy a viper is simply stupid.

Today you can have your Choice of Gen1 for 30k. For a clean like new 96 GTS 40k. That's about the price of a Mustang GT and MUCH MUCH cheaper than a GT500. Heck you can buy a 1000rwhp Gen2 GTS RIGHT NOW for 60k.

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is collectible varies by generation. I remember 30 years ago when a noted magazine predicted the 57 Chevy would be the most collectible. A great car but no retirement car either. The jury is still out on the Gen1's, but if you look at what was produced during the 80s and 90s, the Viper doesn't have a lot of competition. The resto-mods are certainly in vogue now but who knows what the future holds. There is such a variety of cars available. Only time will tell.
Rick

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mines a 93. I put on headers and exhast, 2003 wheels, and air induction tubes. I have all the original parts. Even the original wheels and tires from 93. So it could be easily put back to original state. I recently made acrylic windows. Look pretty good. I wish there was air conditioning. When I went to the local 1/8th mile drags I beat everything but a GTO that had a parachute in the back and NOS. Everything stock including the track vette which was worked on and they said was stock. My car has 17,000 miles on it now. Was wondering if I should not drive it so much but why not. If the car gains value then the milage shouldn't mean that much. Look at the Hemi convertibles (70). When they start gaining in price the wrecked ones will start to disappear out of the junk yards. So I decided to enjoy my car. However, I trade it for a new 2013 viper.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no way to predict what will be a future classic. Anything currently sold as "collectible" will almost certainly never become collectible. Look at the new Challengers...they're all taken to cruise nights an put away. We won't live long enough to see them appreciate to any big degree. Currently, '70s cars are getting popular like the late Trans Ams. Figure that out...no power, terrible handling, etc...I never saw that coming. All that being said, early Vipers will rise in value and be collectible. Very limited production when new, hand assembled, high attrition rate...and lots got modified. All this makes stock Vipers more valuable. I've had 4 Vipers in total, a '94 RT, '96 GTS and 2000 GTS that I bought new. When I was looking for an early RT a few years ago I looked at many and was amazed at the modifications...lack of care, etc. I finally got a '96 RT and still have the 2000 GTS.

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully people have a retirement established before they buy a Viper… Had to take care of the kids college fund, house and retirement before I even considered one.

I bought the Viper first and had a blast. It's short money in the big picture, plus it's needed, transportation, that does not depreciate to zero. A Honda Accord will cost you more, when you figure long term depreciation.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
King RT10 said:
A Honda Accord will cost you more, when you figure long term depreciation.
Good point. My GTS is still worth what I paid for it... maybe more. Can't say that about many cars.