Introduction / long distance car purchase

Louisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Greetings

While I have not introduced myself I have been actively reading this board for the last 2 months trying to gain as much of an understanding about the Viper as possible. I currently own a '02 BMW M Coupe and have come to the realization that in need more power, much more power. As such my decision was quite simple, viper (which to some degree seems to be a larger more powerful m coupe). Hopefully by the end of the week I will be the owner of a 97 GTS, however which specifically I have yet to determine.

So far I have decided on two potential candidates; one located in Granite Falls, NC (54k miles) and the other in Cockeysville, MD (44k miles), both blue w/ white stripes. I have never engaged in a long distance transaction (I live in Florida) as I will invariably be embarking upon if either of these goes through. For this reason I am slightly apprehensive and concerned about the procedure I should follow in attempting to acquire this car, indeed I have heard many horror stories about such transactions.

One of the VIN numbers come out clean, however the other one does not appear on the carfax database, perhaps one of you has some insight as to why that may be. Beyond this, being that these are both relatively high mileage cars, is there anything I should look for specifically when inspecting the car in order to ensure I am making a wise and educated decision?

My final concern is in relation to the mileage, how many of you have cars with 40k plus miles, and have you encountered any mechanical failures? Also, is it possible to purchase an extended warranty for the car at this state in time? I do appreciate any input you guys may have, and I hope to be joining the ranks of viper owner quite soon.

Louis

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GF?

I live 2 miles from Granite (Lenoir). What dealership is it at? (as theres no dodge dealer in granite)

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, maybe its an individual who's selling. The owner of the silver/grayish GTS in GF is a lady who runs a small shop on hwy 321 (we've exchanged hellos but never met).

The only guy with a blue/white GTS who lives in this area is a total drunk :laugh: I doubt he's selling his! He loves it.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Small world!

Welcome!

I own and adore an '02 M Coupe as well (Estoril blue + blue)- and yes, it's not the brute the Viper is...but I could never give up one for the other.

Pics of her...

I look at it this way - the Coupe is a scalpel, while the Viper is a razor sharp butcher knife. They're both going to carve for ya in much different ways...

Are you trading your Coupe in or selling? Also, how long have you had your Coupe?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Louis, check your email, gave you my number if you want to discuss a 97 GTS, as I do know I thing about them being my year and color!!!:)

Just ask poor Mike that is hunting for a car, held the guy talking Viper talk for an hour today!

best of luck,
Ryan

OP
OP
L

Louisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
small world indeed,

do you post on roadfly? i seem to recall that car collection of yours. i absolutely love the m coupe, but being a student i cant afford both cars, and unfortunately the local competition is having me scramble for more HP. actually i am pleased to say i am passing my coupe on to my brother so i will still have opportunity drive it. I have had it since '01, its *** silver with black interior.

i like the analogy, and im sure you agree that these cars do have quite a bit in common to the extent that i have heard them both likened to the shape of a shoe (although it seems the viper has been spared association with the ace and Gary car)

Louis

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol! Yes, the ace and gary mobile..hehehe...the two shoes indeed - I had them side by side this weekend in the driveway for the first time and it was certainly a Nike + Clown shoefest if you squinted just so. :)

Yup, I'm LM on the roadfly Coupe forums - you?

BTW, glad to hear it's staying in the family at least - I was going to offer to discuss another buyer otherwise. ;)

And also, had I known about "*** silver" I would have gone with that color myself!! :p :D

OP
OP
L

Louisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I post as RugbyLewis, although i havent for some time now.

The more i think about it the more I wish i could keep both cars, but alas, the sweet call of HP is difficult to resist.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Louis, you and I seem to be in the same boat. I also have an M coupe that I'm going to sell for a viper. Its an 88 M6 with 60k mi. Its fast, just not fast enough. Hopefully these vipers will get give me the power I've always wanted. BTW, I'm also looking at the 96/97 Blue/Whites like everyone else but looking for low mi. cars. Good luck in your pursuit.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything over 20k is seen as a "high mileage" car in the Viper community. Not that there's anything wrong with buying a car with over 40k miles, just make sure you do plenty of research and then make your offer accordingly.

The cutoff point for buying a warranty is 8 years from initial date of service... so any '96 car should still be ok. However, I'm not sure how Chrysler works in selling warranties on person-to-person sales... I'm sure someone else here knows better.

Buying sight unseen is of course risky... your best bet is to get a report from a Viper Tech who has worked on the car in the past. Also unless you plan on driving it home, factor in maybe a grand for having it trailered.

What is the info on the GTS for sale in Cockeysville MD? That's my hometown, I may be able to take a look at the car for you when I go home for Easter.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the Granite Falls car is owned by a club member, so I cannot help you there - although I can check to see if we have an active club member inthe area that could check it out for you. I would not be concerned about a high mileage car as long as the owner did allthe necessary maintanence and took general care of the car. Condition varies SO much on these cars and it doesn't necessarily seem to be in direct relation to mileage - there are some really bad 6K mile cars out there.

The 1997 is a great year. Call your local DOdge dealer and see if they will run the service history for you. All you need are the last 9 of the VIN. Ask the owner if the recall is done - if he doesn't know about it, then I would be a little suspicious that he doesn't keep up with the car. It's OK if it's not done, but he should know about it.

Check the fluids in the car - we have seen many with low coolant and some with almost nothing in the surge tank under the hood.

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought all three of my Vipers long-distance.

The first one was across the state, from a private individual. Nice guy, up
front about what the cars imperfections were, and I had the option to hop
on a plane and fly home if I didn't like what I saw. No headaches. The 4-hour
drive home was very fun.

The second one was located a few states away, but from a reputable Viper
dealer (Latham). I chose, this time, to have the car delivered to my door for
a very reasonable fee, and no money was exchanged until I personally
inspected the car in my driveway. Again, I was told up front about the cars
imperfections (and e-mailed photos), but some things turned out to be
under-represented. However, the dealer was *AWESOME* about making
things 'right'. How many dealers will buy you a set of new rear tires *after*
you've bought the car "as-is" with no warranty?

The latest (and final, I hope!) car was a bit of a gamble, as it was 2400 road
miles from home. The porsche/audi dealership had the Viper on their lot as a
trade-in. I flew from Seattle to Dallas with check in hand (for less than the
asking price) and a few hundred cash in my pocket for negotiating with. The
car turned out to be in exceptional shape, and I managed to keep the reserve
cash in my pocket. The
trip home was nice.

I guess the moral of my story is: a dealer has lower risk in doing business with long distance,
but a private individual can work just as well as long as you've done all your homework (I should have
had the car professionally inspected for peace of mind) and give yourself a Plan B if things don't work out.

OP
OP
L

Louisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i must say, not only is the viper a magnificent car, but you viper owners are truly a classy lot. Thanks for all the insightful comments and advice, i will know by 8 tonight if im getting the car.

Viperclub.org has provided huge amounts of information which have helped me form my decision and do what i can to enlist myself in this truly privileged group.

It seems the Cockeysville car has been sold, so im down to the Granite falls car. for those of you in the area; if all goes well and i fly up there on Friday to see and pick up the car i would love to be able to meet up with some of you and talk vipers.

i will let you guys know what ends up happening.

P.S. GenX i didnt get your email, could you send it again

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Louis, Save yourself a potentially wasted trip, and have someone local check the car out for you. Heffner's performance is pretty close to Cockeysville, MD. Maybe you could have the person bring the car there for a check? I think you will probably find a willing member near each of those places to give the car a quick look-over too.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Louis, Save yourself a potentially wasted trip, and have someone local check the car out for you. Heffner's performance is pretty close to Cockeysville, MD. Maybe you could have the person bring the car there for a check? I think you will probably find a willing member near each of those places to give the car a quick look-over too.

Ditto!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PLEASE have someone check the car out ahead of time!!! I don't know if you read about my story this weekend, but I flew across the country to look at a car that was totally misrepresented. It was a HUGE pain the ****! I just got shivers thinking about sleeping on the floor in the airport!

OP
OP
L

Louisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good call, I read your story BigCarrot and that is why I am a bit concerned about the transaction. Does anyone know a place I could have this car checked out in Granite Falls, NC?

P.S. this car has not had recall 998 done, any recomendations for a good viper tech in Norther/Central Fla (I am located in Gainesville)

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty close to Cockeysville, MD and have off work tomorrow. If you want, let me know the contact info and if I have a chance, I'll take a look at it for you as I have a blue/white 97 as well. I purchased my car from California and got lucky by buying it sight unseen (I originally was going to fly out and have it shipped the day I arrived but something came up and I wasn't able to make it at the last second) and it turned out just as the buyer represented and he took a ton of pictures for me. I got lucky and wouldn't recomend you do the same thing I did.

OP
OP
L

Louisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well it seems i was outbid in the last 15 seconds of the auction. i will continue my search. thanks again for all the help! i will let you guys know when i find another.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you see a car you are interested on EBAY I suggest emailing the seller.

Then give him your telephone number and make the deal before the auction ends. He can then just cancle the auction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32