Is changing out the battery a DIY job or a PITA job that the dealer should do?

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone provide step by step instructions on changing the battery in a 97 GTS? I think its under the driver side rear wheel well!???? I need to decide if I want to tackle it myself or just go to the dealer.

Thanks!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone provide step by step instructions on changing the battery in a 97 GTS? I think its under the driver side rear wheel well!???? I need to decide if I want to tackle it myself or just go to the dealer.

Thanks!

It's easy.

Just remove the wheel, unbolt the cover, remove the old, install the new and button it back up.

Oh, jack the car up a bit before trying to remove the wheel. :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep piece of cake. Only take it to a dealer if you're an old woman. :D

ETA: For what it's worth, if you plan on doing any wrenching on your car, a service manual is a priceless investment. They only run about $100-$150.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of what it looks like:

You must be registered for see images

Some simple fasteners involved. Just don't over tighten the ones at the fender lip, as they are metal into plastic. There is a pin type fastener in the wheel well. Pull the center plastic pin and then remove the whole fastener.

Be careful with the battery temp sensor if your car has it. It is the extra smaller wires.

Clean and paint your battery tray if it needs it too.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
or a battery relocate kit to the front right. that will help corner balance the car.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or a battery relocate kit to the front right. that will help corner balance the car.

With a battery move like this, where does it go? Only place I can think of is where the blower and air intake are for the cabin air.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed on all, including the 'repaint as needed' part. Mine was a 11,000 mile car, covered in unspeakable dirt and collected nastiness. You'll WANT to clean it, something your friendly tech-dude mightn't consider required, or lovingly charge you $70 per for the honor.

Likewise, do a search about "resetting WOT" once you re install your battery. It's simple, and also needed for your engine to 'learn' what WOT is again. Worth the extra 4 minutes.

Have fun. Hopefully you nor I will have to do this again for a few years!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Be Prepared...and it WILL go well. Here's an old post of mine that may help:

It's not a bad job...goes well if you plan ahead and have tools ready.

Use a 3/4" (or 19mm) socket to remove left rear wheel. Then use 8mm, 11mm, and 10mm sockets to remove fasteners on splash shield in rear of fender well, and a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the plastic push pin that holds the battery cover to the splash guard...now disconnect the battery using 5/16" socket, and use a 1/2" socket to remove battery clamp.

Inspect the tray carefully...you will likely see corrosion...if so, neutralize it CAREFULLY by scrubbing with water and baking soda. DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR to clean this out !!!
After the area dries, I usually use a wire brush on an electric drill (wearing goggles and a respirator/face mask) to remove all remaining oxidation caused by the acid and/or rust. I wipe the tray WELL with rags, then allow it to dry. Then, after a couple more wipe-downs with ethyl alcohol to remore moisture, debris, and oils... I coat the tray bottom and sides with Rustoleum primer 2-3 times...and when dry, hit it with a couple of coats of Rustoleum black "engine gloss" even a semi-gloss. I have found that a used pizza box slid right under the battery tray makes a great "paint booth". After this is completely dry, install new battery (I PREFER a 75 series as they ALWAYS fit our various Vipers...and I always use a Sears Die-Hard Gold...noting that the LEAST amout of usage that these batteries have given me is 6.75 years). Then put it back together.

Note: SOME 94's will not start after battery disconnect...so you might wish to try it before installing the covers. If you have trouble...call me...or do a "search".

I do use a 9 volt battery plugged into the cigarette lighter...which maintains the clock and radio settings for a reasonable time.

HAVE FUN...and don't drop your Viper on yourself !!!"

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I'm going to follow the cleaning procedure. Thanks for posting it. I found a lot of corrosion under the battery tray today as I was installing my brake lines. I was going to try the battery mat recommended by Damn Yankee a while back: Eastwood Co. - Flex-Black & Battery Mat Set

IMG_0129.jpg

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree, Tony. I will be interested to see what you think of the Eastwood products...particularly the mat. I did use a "treated" mat from Griot's Garage once when I had to change a battery on a 95 RT/10 but could not treat the tray that day...it did hold me over til I could do a definitive clean/prep/paint.

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed on all, including the 'repaint as needed' part. Mine was a 11,000 mile car, covered in unspeakable dirt and collected nastiness. You'll WANT to clean it, something your friendly tech-dude mightn't consider required, or lovingly charge you $70 per for the honor.

Likewise, do a search about "resetting WOT" once you re install your battery. It's simple, and also needed for your engine to 'learn' what WOT is again. Worth the extra 4 minutes.

Have fun. Hopefully you nor I will have to do this again for a few years!

Do you need to do this reset of WOT to a gen 1? 95.

I do not notice any lack of performance after changing out my battery?

Anyone know?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you need to do this reset of WOT to a gen 1? 95.

I do not notice any lack of performance after changing out my battery?

Anyone know?

I don't know the answer to your question, but it's so easy, why wouldn't you?

1. Turn key to on.

2. Mash gas fully and release 5 times.

3. Turn key to off and wait about 20 to 30 seconds.

4. Start car.

5. Enjoy...

The hard part is the battery. WOT setting is simple eh?

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but it's so easy, why wouldn't you?

1. Turn key to on.

2. Mash gas fully and release 5 times.

3. Turn key to off and wait about 20 to 30 seconds.

4. Start car.

5. Enjoy...

The hard part is the battery. WOT setting is simple eh?

I guess I will havew to do it just incase haha. my car is obd1 so maybe it does not need it like the obd2 cars?

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like vicj has done this so I'd like to add a safety tip to all of the above. When disconnecting your cables disconnect the negative lead first. This prevents an accidental grounding of the positive lead with your wrench to ground. An employee of mine didn't observe this and grounded the wrench to chassis; unfortunately his wedding ring was in contact with the wrench, turned red hot and fried his finger.

OP
OP
V

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the safety tip! :usa:

It doesn't sound like vicj has done this so I'd like to add a safety tip to all of the above. When disconnecting your cables disconnect the negative lead first. This prevents an accidental grounding of the positive lead with your wrench to ground. An employee of mine didn't observe this and grounded the wrench to chassis; unfortunately his wedding ring was in contact with the wrench, turned red hot and fried his finger.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think when you change out the battery, put a green-knob turn off switch on the negative terminal, and whenever you park for weeks at a time, turn the knob and disconnect the voltage till you need it again....really saves the battery life....just my $.02...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, Tony. I will be interested to see what you think of the Eastwood products...particularly the mat. I did use a "treated" mat from Griot's Garage once when I had to change a battery on a 95 RT/10 but could not treat the tray that day...it did hold me over til I could do a definitive clean/prep/paint.

I ordered the 2 piece battery mat and rubberized spray paint kit on Friday and it arrived Sat morning. So far, I'm really impressed with their shipping. :) I'm heading into the garage now armed with baking soda, bristle brush and gloves.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy as pie to do!! Don't pay anyone to do something this simple. If you lived near me I'd say come by and we'll knock it out no sweat!!

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony , if its not to late get a Gel battery .... you wont have to worry about the acid leaking out. I had one go on me at Lime Rock 2 years ago I will never have anything but Gel

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony , if its not to late get a Gel battery .... you wont have to worry about the acid leaking out. I had one go on me at Lime Rock 2 years ago I will never have anything but Gel

Good point. I have a NAPA battery which has performed well the 2+ years I've had it. However, it has two vents on either side of the battery where the leaks came from. I didn't notice any leaks or corrosion Year 1 but it wasn't until Year 2 that I did more track time so I suspect time on the track may have contributed to the leaks from those vents. I will move to a sealed battery when this one craps out or I get tired of cleaning the battery tray. :)

GavinM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've replaced tons of batteries in "normal" cars, not sure if the viper battery is "special"

Can someone reccomend a good battery? Should i just buy the OEM replacement from the dealer or is there a much better aftermarket replacement i should get?

Thanks, Gavin