Is it rude to have (please don't touch) on your car?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Is it rude to have (please don\'t touch) on your car?

Not at a car show, I don't think so...if you parked it at Costco or something, maybe then.

I see many cars with "No touch" signs at car shows.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with the spinner. We have a car show every year with about 200 vehicles. Many of them have please dont touch on them. most people (including kids) dont touch them but just in case its nice to remind them.

Jay H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I once heard a story about at a American Le mans race that a Lamburgini Diablo owner had put ropes around his car in a parking lot and left his doors up so people could see inside and takes pictures with a sign that said take pictures but please don't touch. I know not all situations could someone do that but I'm sure It was a pretty busy parking lot with lots of people so to many witness if someone messed with IT. I just thought It was pretty nice of the guy because you know people would want to see inside of it.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am always shocked how many people I see at car shows or even in a parking lot come up to cars and put their hands all over them. I've come back from parking the car and found prints all over it. At work, I park in the first spot outside my window and can see the car the entire time. I looked out once and even saw someone sitting on my car while someone was taking their picture. Most people are totally clueless to the fact that its not their car or their property so they should keep their hands off.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i was at a car show a few years back with a buddy of mine. we came across an old slightly rusted chevy that never should have been in the show in the first place. on the cars windshield was a sign that said, "please do not touch".

i looked at my buddy and said "thats nice of them, i guess the owner doesnt want us to get cut on all the rust." the owner happened to be crouched down polishing the other side of the car at the time. "medusa" stood up and almost turned me to stone.

and no, i do not think it is rude.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Car Guys" know better than to touch someone elses car. Unfortunately, not all the attendees at car shows are car guys, so it's an acceptable, polite request there. Anywhere but a car show though, and I'd expect to get keyed....badly.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

There are two types of people at car shows. Those that know better than to touch someones car and those that don't know/care that they or their kids shouldn't be touching the car. Unfortunatly, those are the types of people that will probably just ignore the sign even if you have one. So while it isn't rude at a car show I figure it probably won't make much of a difference.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The worst experience I've seen was at the VCA Christmas party last year. We had it at a gocart/arcade place, but before going in, we took a group photo of the cars. While we were waiting on others to show up, 2 little kids (ages 5-6) were running around getting in ALL the cars. Everyone just assumed they belonged to someone in the club, so noone said much. After 10 mins or so, their mom calls them from across the parking lot and they ran and hopped in their minivan and took off. All the club members looked at each other dumbfounded. They were jumping in cars that werent theirs without asking and the mom just sat and watched from across the parking lot. Good parenting at its best :buttkick:

THEN, we went inside and parked a 06 FE and a 96 b/w GTS in the arcade part to have on display (its a real big arcade/gokart arena). I know of atleast 3 seperate incidents where club members walked by and had to pull ADULTS out of the cars! When I asked one guy to get out of the 06', he gave me a "go to hell" look and started to get in the 96' until I told him that the cars werent to be sat in or touched.

THEN, after the party, I went back out to my car in the parking lot and my sliding window had been slid open and someone had moved my sunvisor down. So, God only knows what happened to the cars in the parking lot while we were all inside.

Reaction score

Most people are totally clueless to the fact that its not their car or their property so they should keep their hands off.

Its ALL in their up-bringing. Luckily, as they say, what goes around comes around (we're just never there to see it). I come back from the local place on Sat. nights with finger prints and hand prints all over the car. Little crap-head kids lean in and their bling-bling necklaces hit the car....I take solice in knowing that:

a) They likely have the life expectancy of a gnat 'cause they're so clueless they are bound to get killed doing something stupid.

b) See note a) above...hopefully they won't have time to reproduce first.

Personally, I don't care too much about finger/hand prints. I don't know why, for the life of me, people HAVE to touch it.....but they do. I give them a break becuase my wife is like that....she just has to touch it...I mean...whatever it is she is seeing. Boston....Old North Church. We've been on the walk MANY times...each time she has to TOUCH the Old North Church! Why? No clue...but it is her thing! LOL! Same thing with Blarney Castle, Giant's Causeway, Stonehenge (now THAT was an experience!!!). LOL!

I'd prefer people not touch it....but they will. I'd rather be calm than look like some a-hole yelling at approx. 3 of 5 people who get near the car. LOL!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you gotta be NAKED to touch my viper

hahaa

absolutely not, you put whatever signs up you want

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Teens in town nearby were famous for arguing why they shouldn't have to be concerned about cars parked on it's main street for the Wed cruise. Guess it's better now..

On the Vipers I'm just as concerned about the side sills with boot buckles abrading the paint as they inch close. Large belt buckles are a problem too.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Biggest concern is people wearing levi's leaning on the cars. Those rivets can leave some marks that will be there forever.

OP
OP
H

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you gotta be NAKED to touch my viper

hahaa

absolutely not, you put whatever signs up you want

Boy I like leslie's idea, especially after finding her picture. Please come and touch.. :eek:

9456kneeling1-med.JPG

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ok,
So I have my Road Runner in a car show years ago, and its displayed inside a building and I am sitting near it just chilling and this guy walks up with a backpack, sets the pack on my trunk then rifles through it looking for a sweatshirt or something...
I am sitting there dumbfounded and I finally say "Hey buddy, *I* dont even sit stuff on my car, can you take your pack back off the trunk" he just kinda looks at me like "Gee what's his problem" and walks off......
There are all types......

Cheers,

OP
OP
H

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok,
So I have my Road Runner in a car show years ago, and its displayed inside a building and I am sitting near it just chilling and this guy walks up with a backpack, sets the pack on my trunk then rifles through it looking for a sweatshirt or something...
I am sitting there dumbfounded and I finally say "Hey buddy, *I* dont even sit stuff on my car, can you take your pack back off the trunk" he just kinda looks at me like "Gee what's his problem" and walks off......
There are all types......

Cheers,

This is Y I have 20" Viper Guns! :headbang:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At a car show? Not a problem at all.

Of course you would agree, Keith you don't even touch your own car! I don't know what you would do if you caught someone else getting close to it not alone touching it.

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't care so much about fingerprints...it's those belt buckles that do the damage.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My greatest "no touch" story.

I drove over to downtown Disney in Orlando. I parked about two rows back from the front, dead in the middle of a row. When I came out, security had put cones on either side of my car! :2tu:

I was amazed no one went over and keyed it at that point!

Those where pre cell phone camera days. It would have been a great shot!

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i was at a car show a few years back with a buddy of mine. we came across an old slightly rusted chevy that never should have been in the show in the first place. on the cars windshield was a sign that said, "please do not touch".

i looked at my buddy and said "thats nice of them, i guess the owner doesnt want us to get cut on all the rust." the owner happened to be crouched down polishing the other side of the car at the time. "medusa" stood up and almost turned me to stone.

and no, i do not think it is rude.

lol :D

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks HardViper, I'll take that as a compliment:)

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went to a Viper event and had some little fat kid eating a bag of Lays Potato Chips (you know how greasy those things are) commence to touching all over the car. Another kid opened the door and got in. He was kind enough not to wipe/remove his mud covered shoes before entering a total strangers car. I've been to countless car shows and not in a million years would I have EVER though about touching someone else's car, much less opening the door and sitting inside without permission. I even feel uncomfortable about getting in a friends car because I hate the feeling that I might scratch or break something. The value of the car is irrelevent, and it doesn't matter if it's at a car show or in a grocery store parking lot. My kids are 2 and 5, and they know better; it's too bad others parents didn't take the time to teach their kids the same values.

OP
OP
H

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guy's & gal. I'm heading to fathers day show tomorrow. Pre 1980 and SPECIALTY cars. My 1st one. Should be fun.