Is the ABS on 2001-2002 worth the $$$?

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 1 more month before I start my search for a Viper. I know I want an RT/10 between 1999-2002. It appears from my searches that all else being equal (miles, condition, etc), the 2001+ cars are running $5K-$7K more than say a 1999 or 2000.

Does anyone have any comments on whether getting the ABS is really worth that much money? The Viper Buyer's Guide doesn't show many other modifications during those years.

Thanks...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on what you may want in the future, I would recommend the 99 and earlier car due to them having the forged pistons. If you're planning on any performance upgrades. If not, ABS is nice :2tu:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REPOST.. why not just do a search, jesus.. its always the same thing.. ABS if you arent going to boost or spray the motor, 96-99 if you are. Not only do the ABS cars have abs, they also have other updates that the earlier ones dont, and the breaks even without the ABS are better in the rear (larger pistons, and a porpotioning valve).

Ok there is more, but I dont feel like talking now..

Always so sweet,

Jon

OP
OP
K

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn dude... Take it easy... I did do a search and didn't come up with a decent answer. Sorry to bother you on "your" forum.

In reading some of the other threads over the last month or two, this seemed like a good place to ask questions and get some information about my upcoming Viper purchase. I was obviously wrong. I'll have to try Viper Alley's Forum.

Sorry again... BTW: Thanks for the info 99 RT/10. That is the kind of opinions I was looking for.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a good place to get answers, he's just testy.
If you think you will get a straight answer at the Alley, you ARE new here. Get a flak jacket and go ask there.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stopping distance difference between an ABS Viper compared to a non-ABS Viper is huge, in the wet...steering is also possible during hard braking. -> ABS.

OP
OP
K

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info ViperGTS. Guess it might be worth it, since this will be mostly a driving car and probably not much on the track.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on what you may want in the future, I would recommend the 99 and earlier car due to them having the forged pistons. If you're planning on any performance upgrades. If not, ABS is nice

and......

REPOST.. why not just do a search, jesus.. its always the same thing.. ABS if you arent going to boost or spray the motor, 96-99 if you are. Not only do the ABS cars have abs, they also have other updates that the earlier ones dont, and the breaks even without the ABS are better in the rear (larger pistons, and a porpotioning valve).
Always so sweet,
Jon

I wish I had ABS and will probably some day pay the $8k to have it installed.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya but my pistons weigh a ton more, they are less efficient too, my sound is rougher and my cam is lumpy and loopier than yours, so my car shakes around like it's sick. My car will respond better to exhaust mods cause yours already has an improved exhaust. With all do respect to the older gts's, it's a no-brainer, go with the newer car. The 2000 and up can handle 7-800rwhp, that's enough to smash 99% of any other cars on the road. There are improvements with every year, the bugs get worked out, for example, your paint won't bubble off the car.

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
KHilman,
This is the right place for good and precious info. As far as Jon, that's just his humour, agressive at first, but funny...
If you got your RT for mainly street use, I would go abs, plus, the warranty will last longer.
Welcome :2tu:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're planning on any performance upgrades.

Bulldogger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS or better pistons??? Well if I have to panic stop, loose contol of the car, and hit something because the wheels lock up then the pistons don't really mean all that much. My money went ABS. It's a personal choice only you can make. Besides even with cast pistons you can add a ROE supercharger and other stuff. The motors will turn a decent amount of horsepower.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS was added to prevent flat spotting tires on the track. Most of us don't drive in the snow or in rain, so the main reason to get ABS is if you plan to take it to the track. Or drive it on the city streets like they are the track..... like most of us.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Get the '99 and add a StopTech big brake kit and practice threshold braking. You will save money versus an '01 or '02, have forged internals and be able to stop quicker/shorter than with ABS. We don't need no stinking ABS! :headbang:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's mainly for the street and you don't plan on going over about 600RWHP or so on boost or nitrous, the 2001-2002 would be your best choice assuming you can find the color you want. If you think you might go crazy with boost or something, I'd go with one of those 'old' ****** Vipers, though I hear a flaw in the cam makes them sound funny :D

Signed,
Boosted Creampuff

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what I have read it's less expensive to change the pistons than add ABS

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned my 2000 ACR for 5 years and I only locked the front one time for just an instant. I autocross and take it the speedway often. If you can't drive then you may need the ABS. For that matter, if you need ABS then maybe you should just buy a Corvette, then you will have all kind of driving aids. Real men don't need all those drive helpers.

OP
OP
K

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great comments guys... I really appreciate it. It sounds like I probably won't run into many situations where i'll be locking up the front tires anyway. I'm going to drive it hard, but i'm sure the car handles much better than my old Challenger or my wife's Ford even without ABS. :)

Now if I can find a Black on Black 99 RT/10 like the one at dodgevipersforsale.com, or the 01 Blue on Black RT/10 at Premier for the right price, i'll be in business.

Rock On!!!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It´s NOT your choice, if you will have to break in an emergency situation very hard. In such a situation (leaves, oil, dirt, rain, ...) ABS can save your life.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It´s NOT your choice, if you will have to break in an emergency situation very hard. In such a situation (leaves, oil, dirt, rain, ...) ABS can save your life.
So how did people manage to even drive a car pre-ABS? I have no problem controlling my non ABS brakes, and have locked them up a few times. Geez, it's not like you can't stop the car. Sure, if givin the choice I would rather have them, but iy shoudn't be a the deal breaker.
Besides, I like having the forged internals and the lumpy cam (wayyy noticable when idling next to later models), it's sounds real nasty... :)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's NOT your choice, if you will have to break in an emergency situation very hard. In such a situation (leaves, oil, dirt, rain, ...) ABS can save your life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This my point as well, But I'm not even that concerned about killing myself. I think the chances are much higher to have a simple fender bender that cost $20k to fix.

I have never flat spotted a tire on the track either but I have had a semi pro driver flat spot one of my tires, so bad that it had to replace it.

Khitman, I think your decision process should start at how much are you willing to spend and what color or color combos you like best. And try to get the newest in that range with low miles. Good Luck

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
commercial time out

For $630, 40mm rear calipers on a non-ABS car increase stopping from a measly 0.8 G's to a little over 1.0 G's on street tires. I applaud all those that can threshhold brake without bigger rear brakes, but you're leaving a lot on the table.

ABS is better because you can brake and turn at the same time. But at least on dry pavement, you can brake like a real car (no matter what real men do.)

back to the show

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fuelman is running 10's with his 2001 creampuff, in addition, pistons run about $100 each if you want to buy them, that is a whole lot less than trying to upfit aftermarket brakes or adding ABS to the car. Give the creampuffs some credit, well tuned they will provide plenty of power and accomodate power adders.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Always so sweet,

Jon

LOL I hear ya brotha!

I didn't want ABS! I wanted a real drivers car, something that really puts you in touch with your car. I feel the ABS takes some of that away.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How could you not want what the SRT's have "KILLER BRAKES" :cool: :2tu:
Tell me this is not the coolest setup you've seen :usa:
Built in the USA, by one of your own VCA members :D
4459Carlsbad_VictoryVipers05_005-med.jpg

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn dude... Take it easy... I did do a search and didn't come up with a decent answer. Sorry to bother you on "your" forum.

In reading some of the other threads over the last month or two, this seemed like a good place to ask questions and get some information about my upcoming Viper purchase. I was obviously wrong. I'll have to try Viper Alley's Forum.

Sorry again... BTW: Thanks for the info 99 RT/10. That is the kind of opinions I was looking for.

ahhhhh.. yeah.. search feature must be broken... becasue here is all I got, when I did "ABS VS"....

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=570893&Forum=All_Forums&Words=ABS%20VS&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=570498&Search=true#Post570893

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=489531&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=32144&Forum=All_Forums&Words=ABS%20VS&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=32144&Search=true#Post32144

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=417801&Forum=All_Forums&Words=ABS%20VS&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=417771&Search=true#Post417801

Interestingly enough, one seems to be IDENTICAL to the title you have...

yeah.. if you have other questions like how to use the SEARCH button, maybe I can help you on those too.

- I rest my case, yes I am a ****..

Jon