Is the ACR worth the Money?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a doubt worth every penny. Add up the cost of all the options; can't be had for $11,000. Awesome performance on a road course. Incredible car .........

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I disagree about the ACR being "Worth The Money". While it's true that the ACR is an awesome car I bought a 2000 GTS and promptly installed Moton Shocks ($4,500)(which are much better than the Koni's), my big brake package ($4,200), our short throw shifter ($19), etc. I also added a set for Forgeline wheels that in my opinion would be counter balanced by the BBS wheels which I like more but are expensive. The bottom line is I have _WAY_ better braking and everything else is equal or better for thousands less. Unless your heart is just bent on an ACR you can save several thousands of dollars and have better performance.

My .02.

Regards,

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the middle.

If you do not intend to modify the car, then you will have the factory original "super" version of the car. It remains to be seen if the increased value over time of the ACR justifies its price, but it should clearly be more valuable than the "ordinary" GTS.

If you do intend to modify the car, then I do not believe the mods are worth the extra money. On my old roadster I have Penske double-adjustable shocks with higher-rate springs (about $3300 or so plus DIY installation), smooth tubes and K&Ns (about $150), and harnesses (about $600, including a new rear panel with cutouts). As for wheels, I run ****** 3-spokes and scrub slicks. If you wanted to go to 18" wheels, a set of Purner track wheels can be had for around $2500. You can add big brakes (which the ACR lacks) and still beat the $11000 price differential and maybe have enough for cat-back exhaust. But of course you still do not have an ACR, which is a unique piece.

Neither decision is wrong.

Keith

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has some great points. There was a loooooong thread on this a while back, look through the archives, but it comes down to what you plan to do with the car I think.

If you're a true race head, you'll probably take an approach like David's, which is better for the reasons he pointed out. You can put exactly what you want on the car for as much or less than the ACR package.

ACR Joe has a point as well, the ACR package itself, at least dollar-wise is worth it. The BBS wheels alone are around $2K each if I recall. Also, there were only about 115 ACRs built in each of 1999 and 2000. I have an all black ACR and I think there are about 92 all black ACRs total between '99 and '00 - so its fun to have a sort of 1 of 92 mentality about your car.

If you're buying used, like I did, I don't think you can beat the deal on an ACR. The price on used cars fluctuates so much due to mileage, age, etc, that its not hard (relatively) to find a used ACR for not much more than a comparable used GTS. When you look at the ACR package in that light, I don't know how you can resist. Even if you're a race head, you've got a good platform to start with at least, and its probably worth it at that point just for the wheels (assuming you like the wheels as much as I do - we ACR owners are very attatched to our BBSs, probably because we spend so much of our time cleaning them
You must be registered for see images

Hope that helps.

- Mark ('99 Black ACR)