Is There a Functional Oil Pressure Gauge Out There?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Is anyone aware of a replacement oil pressure gauge for the Viper that actually is functional? The molasses reaction time of the stock gauge makes it really worthless. I also own a 1970 Trans Am and I'd swap in it's 30 year old oil pressure gauge in a minute if it would fit!

Does anyone know where the problem is, the gauge or the sender? Can it be modified to react quicker or is there a replacement gauge that will work with the stock faceplate so I can keep the stock look?

Thanks</FONT f>

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Ron,
The signal goes straight from the sending unit to the gauge in the dash. I suspect the gauge itself is the reason it is slow to show changes.
I have a possible solution for you if you're interested. I have been thinking of putting together a package with a small, bright LED that I can put inside one of the center vents as a low oil pressure warning light set at 30 lbs. The factory warning light sending unit is set at 8 lbs. Between the slow reading gauge, 8 lb warning lamp sending unit and dim low oil pressure display in the factory gauge cluster, you wouldn't get the warning in time if your motor really did have a low oil pressure problem. I think I can set this up for about $35 to $40 if you're interested. I have parts to make a test kit, just haven't got around to it yet (you should see my list of Viper "things to do"
You must be registered for see images
Let me know.
Also, I could setup the LED to be placed in other locations as well, but in the center vent, there will be no signs that it is there. The only drawback is if you had your vents closed. If you have another idea on mounting location, let me know. I can also set one up with a small bezel so that it would look somewhat like the one on the top of the dash for the alarm indicator if you wanted to mount it in the dash.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron:
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Is anyone aware of a replacement oil pressure gauge for the Viper that actually is functional? The molasses reaction time of the stock gauge makes it really worthless. I also own a 1970 Trans Am and I'd swap in it's 30 year old oil pressure gauge in a minute if it would fit!

Does anyone know where the problem is, the gauge or the sender? Can it be modified to react quicker or is there a replacement gauge that will work with the stock faceplate so I can keep the stock look?

Thanks</FONT f>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Ron --
I have never been a big fan of utilizing electrical gauges for use of exact values and measurements. Electrical gauges are good in most cases for accurate measurements, but for more precise measurements, a MECHANICAL gauge is essential.

Good News! --
You can very easily install a mechanical gauge without deleting your factory gauge. All you need to do is tap into the factory oil sending unit with a 'T' and you can install the gauge you are opting for. Keep in mind to be careful about utilizing gauges that bring fluids into your car. You don't even have to install the gauge inside, you can leave it in the engine compartment.

Good Luck,

Doug Levin

Reaction score
I've seen larger, faster response gauges installed on several race cars. Paul Fisher had the first set I've seen. Then most of the Viper Days wheel to whell cars have aftermarket gages.

Seems like one of our suppliers could put together a package rather than all us experimenting around.

Paul Fisher, you may want to market your implementation. It sure worked well for you after you worked out the bugs!

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Sean,

I very much like your idea. I'd still ultimately like a more responsive stock looking gauge, but as a supplement the red LED is a great concept. The air vent is a good place as might be a small velco attachment to the top of the steering column.

I'll send you an email to follow up.

While I agree that you can't beat a mechanical gauge, unless it will fit in the stock location and use the stock faceplate, I'd rather hold out for something else.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!</FONT f>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHunter