Is there a way to get the Orange out of the lower rear tail lights? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now my tails are tinted, and I am going back to stock ... so I can quit being harrassed over it.

I HATE the orange part in the lower rear tail light ... is there a way to mod it to take out the orange?

I may just go back to red uppers, and tinted lowers, but I am not sure that will look very good.

Thanks for the ideas :) ---

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
klearz.com

There have been a number of threads on this. Just search "klearz" or "rear markers". You can replace the entire lens and housing and make it another color (clear, smoked, black). Easy mod.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch ... I havent seen many modded rear lenses in pics so I figured there wasnt anyone doing custom stuff out there :) ---

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What orange part?

Viper_058.JPG

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What years come with the orange, and what year comes with the clear/white? ---

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Code,

As far as I know 2003 started the clear markers in the rear. Until then it had always been clear/orange. I used clear/silver housings on my 96 GTS and LOVE them.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you get the clear/silver ones?

The 3rd gen housings fit our housings in the rear for all 4 lights or just the lowers? ---

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Red uppers with tinted lowers.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks HOT , thanks for the pic ... totally made up my mind. I was leaning that direction.

It will be on a RED car, but I have blackout tint on the hatch ... it should still look nice IMO :) ---

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where did you get the clear/silver ones?

The 3rd gen housings fit our housings in the rear for all 4 lights or just the lowers? ---

I got mine from Klearz.com. It will be your best bet and GREAT service. I have NO idea if the 3rd gen fit the earlier gens. If I had to guess I would say they will NOT fit.

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a red vinyl overlay, and it looks great--5 years later and it still looks as good as when I put it on.

Very inexpensive, only around $4 on ebay with free shipping.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine from Klearz.com. It will be your best bet and GREAT service. I have NO idea if the 3rd gen fit the earlier gens. If I had to guess I would say they will NOT fit.
DrTaco, did you say they were easy to change out? I thought I'd seen somewhere where they were a PIA! If they are (easy) then I'll definitely go ahead & get a pair!

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DrTaco, did you say they were easy to change out? I thought I'd seen somewhere where they were a PIA! If they are (easy) then I'll definitely go ahead & get a pair!

Here ya go. See what ya think. Thanks to Jasontiff for the writeup, I had nothing to do with it.http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/101103-how-replace-your-rear.html

Some people say that changing the SIDE markers from yellow to clear is a PIA. When I did it I found it to be pretty easy, but I did have to lay in a whole bunch of different positions to get my hand in the correct places. I did NOT take off my wheels to do it, but if you do it will be 10x easier.

Last edited:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here ya go. See what ya think. Thanks to Jasontiff for the writeup, I had nothing to do with it.http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/101103-how-replace-your-rear.html

Some people say that changing the SIDE markers from yellow to clear is a PIA. When I did it I found it to be pretty easy, but I did have to lay in a whole bunch of different positions to get my hand in the correct places. I did NOT take off my wheels to do it, but if you do it will be 10x easier.
Awesome, Thanks Dr.! I guess I know what my next project will be!

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went clear lens and SILVER housings for the rear and side markers (so yes, got housings too). It pops on a B/W with chrome letters, also I didnt like how white the stock housings made the clear lens look. So, you'll have to think about what look you're going for.

Here is another thread about removing the rear markers (but, this thread does NOT address replacing the markers).Once again, had nothing to do with it. So thanks to the OP.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/656539-Rear-Taillight-Removal-and-Bulb-Change-2002-GTS-Photos

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a red vinyl overlay, and it looks great--5 years later and it still looks as good as when I put it on.

Very inexpensive, only around $4 on ebay with free shipping.

If I dont like the Red on top and Tinted lower with my red paint ... this will be the next thing I try ... thanks for the heads up/idea :) ---